Menu

Moving, housing, jobs...

LisaKinVA

I'm about 2 weeks away from hopping on a flight back to Virginia (assuming orders get cut, and flights get arranged).  All signs point to eventual relocation to a home in Virginia Beach.  We are bartering our labor in renovating a 30 year old home that is currently vacant.  This will be a huge help, but I will still need to work.   My husband is waiting for 2 promotions at his work to be announced.  It would really help if he got one of these -- but I will still need to work.

Please keep our family in your prayers as we go through this huge move.  Initially, it will just be the girls and I, the boys will follow with our dog in 2-3 weeks, with my husband following about 3-4 weeks later.  My oldest son and my husband will be living in VA Beach (hoping my son can get a summer job...as college costs are looming), with the dog.  The four youngest kids will live with me in Fredericksburg for most of the summer.

I will be interviewing for four (3) jobs at the end of May.  These are all coaching positions.  I have no idea what to expect regarding compensation.  One job is most likely in Norfolk (one of the major assistants just left her head coaching position at a local university, not sure why -- not sure if there is something wrong and she's backing away from all coaching, or just the university position), another job is in VA Beach or Chesapeake, and the last one is a combination position which includes a head coaching job at a high school and then assistant work at the club level (in VA Beach & Chesapeake).  The head coaching job may also involve teaching.

It's a lot of change that will happen very quickly on top of everything else.  I'm really nervous about the schedule, excited about having a paid coaching job -- but I also need some time to take care of me (which I really haven't had much of for 6 years, as I've done so much volunteering and fundraising to make the kids' activities here happen -- I'm out of shape, and need to get a better handle on school and home management).

Thank you for being such a continued source of support these past 15 years -- I'm looking forward to being a more regular face here again.

• Like 14

Wow, that all sounds exciting!  I'm sure there has been heaps of prep going on in the background to be at this point.  Lots of big changes but they all sound very positive and well-planned.  Can I ask what sport you hope to be coaching?  

Good luck with everything!

41 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Wow, that all sounds exciting!  I'm sure there has been heaps of prep going on in the background to be at this point.  Lots of big changes but they all sound very positive and well-planned.  Can I ask what sport you hope to be coaching?  

Good luck with everything!

Swimming.  I'm a swim coach 😄

• Like 3

Lisa in addition to all of the stuff you wrote about, there is also a possibility that you and/or some members of your family will experience quite a bit of "culture shock" after returning to the USA.  Hopefully that will be minimal, since you have been on the base a lot, but still it is something to be aware of and if it happens, it is perfectly normally.  Take it one day at a time and one task at a time and prioritize the tasks and it will happen.  I once read that someone who'd experienced both ranked an international move and a house fire at about the same stress levels.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lanny said:

Lisa in addition to all of the stuff you wrote about, there is also a possibility that you and/or some members of your family will experience quite a bit of "culture shock" after returning to the USA.  Hopefully that will be minimal, since you have been on the base a lot, but still it is something to be aware of and if it happens, it is perfectly normally.  Take it one day at a time and one task at a time and prioritize the tasks and it will happen.  I once read that someone who'd experienced both ranked an international move and a house fire at about the same stress levels.

We experienced a bit of that when we were home for 2 months in 2017.  Grocery shopping (believe it or not) is the most stressful activity.  Clothes shopping was much easier.  June and July are going to be a blur... August will be the first time we have to just stop for a moment.  And that is when it will hit.  Thankfully, we have several people we know already in the area, and some friends moving there with us.  We won't be completely alone, but it will still be a bit overwhelming.

+

• Like 3

First of all, welcome back to VIRGINIA!!!! :) ❤️

Secondly, praying for you all! Yes, so many changes and waiting on job news and then house offers can be maddening. Any move - much less an international move is huge and then your own job search? Wow. Just WOW! Again, I'm praying. 

And for those who don't know this about "my" state:

"To Be A Virginian either by
Birth, Marriage, Adoption,
or even on one's Mother's side,
is an Introduction
to any State in the Union,
a Passport to any Foreign Country,
and a Benediction from Above."

-Anonymous

• Like 2

oh, hugs & prayers. I forget, how long were y'all in Italy? Transition is so hard. We've been back from Brazil 5.5 years now, and the whole first *year* was one of finding our footing again (we were in Brazil for 6 yrs).  Will be thinking of you this summer as you transition back, especially with all you have going on during. Our return was similar; dh moved with us, but traveled back & forth 2 weeks of every 6 to 8 (so, gone 2 wks, home 4 to 6 wks, gone again for 2 wks, etc.) for the first year. 

Praying for all to go well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheReader said:

oh, hugs & prayers. I forget, how long were y'all in Italy? Transition is so hard. We've been back from Brazil 5.5 years now, and the whole first *year* was one of finding our footing again (we were in Brazil for 6 yrs).  Will be thinking of you this summer as you transition back, especially with all you have going on during. Our return was similar; dh moved with us, but traveled back & forth 2 weeks of every 6 to 8 (so, gone 2 wks, home 4 to 6 wks, gone again for 2 wks, etc.) for the first year. 

Praying for all to go well. 

We've been here almost 6 years.  So, there is going to be quite a bit to get used to.  We were back for a couple of months in 2017, and things went pretty well, but we were also back in an area I've mostly lived in since 1993... so a lot of familiarity.  This will be the first time we've had a major move as a family (other than Italy) for everyone since 2001.  Italy has been home, but it's also felt a bit like a vacation.  So, this move is stressing me out more than I 'd like.  Making matters worse, the changes to the EU internet policies make it very difficult to research a lot, because we're blocked.  I can't look up contact information for schools, NOI, a lot of news is blocked... makes it kind of frustrating.

15 minutes ago, LisaK in VA is in IT said:

We've been here almost 6 years.  So, there is going to be quite a bit to get used to.  We were back for a couple of months in 2017, and things went pretty well, but we were also back in an area I've mostly lived in since 1993... so a lot of familiarity.  This will be the first time we've had a major move as a family (other than Italy) for everyone since 2001.  Italy has been home, but it's also felt a bit like a vacation.  So, this move is stressing me out more than I 'd like.  Making matters worse, the changes to the EU internet policies make it very difficult to research a lot, because we're blocked.  I can't look up contact information for schools, NOI, a lot of news is blocked... makes it kind of frustrating.

oh, goodness. Okay, will be praying. 

Do you have anyone stateside who can look up the info for you and copy/paste? Yikes. 

• Like 1