Menu

Call to Action - respond to insults by Joy Behar on The View

I recall that Subway contest the prohibited homeschoolers was compared to the Nazi regime too though may not have been this list. Would be an interesting project to compile list of everything/everyone here that has been compared to Hitler, the Nazi regime, or the Germany-sanctioned and executed systematic murder of millions of innocent men, women, and children.

I don't remember that at all. I do wonder why some of you post here when you obviously look down your noses at the posters here. It's not subtle. :glare:

Check your history. Early comments in Germany attempted to marginalize groups by calling them names and claiming that they were different from the mainstream.
I don't think anyone would deny this. My point isn't that hate speech is or should be protected, but rather that we don't enjoy the right to not be offended. People can and do take offense at anything, and increasingly are demanding remedy for the feeling of offense.

It is not that I feel insulted, rather it is that when characters on the national stage make outrageous statements about a smaller group which are not then refuted a belief system sets in. This belief system then accepts that these statements are correct. I would ask you how many millions listened to her? How many tens of thousands may agree with her simply because no one said LOUDLY that she is absolutely wrong?
There's big difference between correcting misinformation from a position of confidence in yourself and in the rights you hold and getting shrill and starting petitions and acting like a comedian spouting her views on a talk show is tantamount to a government body considering increasing homeschooling regulation or otherwise limiting it. Ms Behar is not a member of the government, nor even a member of the conventional media. I'm in the "who cares what she thinks camp." How homeschoolers are portrayed in the media generally is the larger and more important issue than how they are portrayed in 15 seconds of one particular show. I prefer a methodology of making connections rather than merely reacting. For example, our local paper has run a number of homeschooling positive articles because a few members of the local homeschooling community have cultivated a relationship with a particular reporter.

As far as him referencing support for groups other than our own, you are correct, but Niemoller's point was also that you speak up in the face of injustice and falsehood. Perhaps in the early 30s if people had spoken up, as Niemoller later regretted that he did not, history might have been different.
But if calm, reasonable people speak up early and in a matter-of-fact manner, IMHO this is more effective than getting panicked and giving a comment borne of ignorance more power than it deserves. This is not Nazi Germany, and no one, not even Ms Behar has suggested eroding the rights of homeschoolers. To react as if she did makes us seem rather like Chicken Little. [bTW, I'm not talking exclusively about posters here.]

How many of us would have had a similar reaction had she called public school kids demented, or privately schooled kids? Or highly gifted kids starting college at 12, or children who don't want to go on to college? Or children who don't play sport? Or children who do? Kids who watch TV or don't watch TV? Or kids who like to do nothing better than program computers? Or the chess club?

If homeschooling is ever banned, let it not be said that when we had an opportunity to refute false allegations we were silent.
By petitioning the network or sponsors of the program? I would suggest that petitioning Subway to open a contest designated for school students because the prize is gym equipment is just plain silly. OMIGOSH!!! HOMESCHOOELRS WERE EXCLUDED!!!! :001_rolleyes: Similarly, IMHO, writing the sponsors of the show in an effort to censor the remarks of one of the participants from expressing her opinion is as dangerous for an issue I agree with (homeschooling) as for one I don't.

I don't think anyone would deny this. My point isn't that hate speech is or should be protected, but rather that we don't enjoy the right to not be offended. People can and do take offense at anything, and increasingly are demanding remedy for the feeling of offense.

who's demanding remedy? i think there's a difference between letting a corporation/entity know that something on their show IS offensive versus demanding REMEDY for said offense.

There's big difference between correcting misinformation from a position of confidence in yourself and in the rights you hold and getting shrill and starting petitions and acting like a comedian spouting her views on a talk show is tantamount to a government body considering increasing homeschooling regulation or otherwise limiting it. .

who gets to define shrill? I never caught The View being advertised as a comedy show.

Ms Behar is not a member of the government, nor even a member of the conventional media. I'm in the "who cares what she thinks camp." .

:iagree:

but like you, i feel drawn to a discussion about something that i don't really even care about ;)

How homeschoolers are portrayed in the media generally is the larger and more important issue than how they are portrayed in 15 seconds of one particular show. I prefer a methodology of making connections rather than merely reacting.

but it doesn't have to be an either/or thing: it can very easily be a multi-prong approach.

But if calm, reasonable people speak up early and in a matter-of-fact manner, IMHO this is more effective than getting panicked and giving a comment borne of ignorance more power than it deserves. This is not Nazi Germany, and no one, not even Ms Behar has suggested eroding the rights of homeschoolers. To react as if she did makes us seem rather like Chicken Little.

back to people speaking for homeschoolers, and who's defining these subjective terms.....

It would seem reasonable to assume that if one considers a course of action 'demented' [and thereby damaging to a minor's education] they would NOT want to see that demented course of action supported by law.

How many of us would have had a similar reaction had she called public school kids demented, or privately schooled kids? Or highly gifted kids starting college at 12, or children who don't want to go on to college? Or children who don't play sport? Or children who do? Kids who watch TV or don't watch TV? Or kids who like to do nothing better than program computers? Or the chess club?

good question.

obviously not 100% of us ;)

By petitioning the network or sponsors of the program? I would suggest that petitioning Subway to open a contest designated for school students because the prize is gym equipment is just plain silly. OMIGOSH!!! HOMESCHOOELRS WERE EXCLUDED!!!! :001_rolleyes: Similarly, IMHO, writing the sponsors of the show in an effort to censor the remarks of one of the participants from expressing her opinion is as dangerous for an issue I agree with (homeschooling) as for one I don't.

it might have been 'silly' to you, but apparently Subway appreciated the effort to inform them. That's another one of those pesky subjective terms ;)

who said the remarks should be censored? i missed that....

Rev. Niemoller's point was that we must all be vigilant and protective of the rights (including the right to life) of groups of people other than our own, regardless of whether we agree with their views. I hardly think he gives us license to be hypersensitive to insults, perceived or otherwise. Last I checked, there was no right not be of offended.

Check your history. Early comments in Germany attempted to marginalize groups by calling them names and claiming that they were different from the mainstream.

If homeschooling is ever banned, let it not be said that when we had an opportunity to refute false allegations we were silent.

The point isn't about whether a homeschooling family would take offense at the comments made on The View. The point is that this show is perceived as a news outlet. While I, and others, may disagree and think of it as fluff entertainment, this is still the perception, particularly with a venerated newscaster such as Barbara Walters at the helm. As such, Joy is not merely making comments that I may find offensive, rather she is using her position on this program to make comments, however humorously or humorlessly they may be couched, that are intended to shape and influence public perception. I do not want public perception shaped against my children in such a rude, ignorant, intolerant, and incorrect fashion. It is not that I am offended, it is that I don't wish the media to portray my children as demented any more than the victims of Nazi propaganda wished to be depicted as they were, in the press, in movies, in popular media and by "graffiti artists". When do you speak up?

As I said I am not insulted, but neither will I advocate letting blatant disinformation go unchallenged. I strongly advocate the right to offend people, after all that is what makes freedom of speech such a valuable right. If one only said non-offensive things there would be no need to enshrine this right in our Constitution.

There's big difference between correcting misinformation from a position of confidence in yourself and in the rights you hold and getting shrill and starting petitions and acting like a comedian spouting her views on a talk show is tantamount to a government body considering increasing homeschooling regulation or otherwise limiting it. Ms Behar is not a member of the government, nor even a member of the conventional media. I'm in the "who cares what she thinks camp." How homeschoolers are portrayed in the media generally is the larger and more important issue than how they are portrayed in 15 seconds of one particular show.

A quick search of the net will indicate that comedians and other entertainers wield incredible influence. Look at Colbert, the Daily Show or Oprah. Indeed many would argue that these individuals are more influential than most reporters and many government officials. Test yourself, who is the Secretary of the Department of Education (Spellings), could you recognize her on TV? Now... can you recognize Colbert, who are the stars of Saturday Night Live, can you recognize the members of The View? How many "average Americans" would be more familiar with Colbert than Spellings?

I might argue that how homeschoolers are portrayed on Oprah, the View, the Daily Show and Colbert are more influential than what MSNBC says.

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/node/8589

http://www.socialmediaplayground.com/research/oprah-power-measuring-the-political-influence-of-celebrity-endorsement/2008/08/06/

No one is advocating getting shrill, but a precisely worded email does have impact. Companies do respond, look at the impact petitions had on Pepsi and the rap "star" Ludacriss.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,345308,00.html

Let's remember Lenin's famous quote (and he did know about such things) - "A lie told often enough becomes truth." As homeschooling parents, we must firmly, politely and in a reasonable tone challenge lies told about our methods and our children.

I prefer a methodology of making connections rather than merely reacting. For example, our local paper has run a number of homeschooling positive articles because a few members of the local homeschooling community have cultivated a relationship with a particular reporter.

Bravo on the letters to the paper, but this is only a single front in a wider conflict.

But if calm, reasonable people speak up early and in a matter-of-fact manner, IMHO this is more effective than getting panicked and giving a comment borne of ignorance more power than it deserves.

Who is panicking? As stated, this woman does have influence regardless of how much ignorance her comment displayed. We do not empower her by challenging her, there are times when the adage that "any press is good press" does not apply.

This is not Nazi Germany, and no one, not even Ms Behar has suggested eroding the rights of homeschoolers. To react as if she did makes us seem rather like Chicken Little. [bTW, I'm not talking exclusively about posters here.]

No it is not Nazi Germany, but it is only a small step from calling children demented, and therefore by default their parents demented to advocating protecting the "children" with social services and banning homeschooling.

I would, because the statement would have been patently false.

By petitioning the network or sponsors of the program? I would suggest that petitioning Subway to open a contest designated for school students because the prize is gym equipment is just plain silly. OMIGOSH!!! HOMESCHOOELRS WERE EXCLUDED!!!! Similarly, IMHO, writing the sponsors of the show in an effort to censor the remarks of one of the participants from expressing her opinion is as dangerous for an issue I agree with (homeschooling) as for one I don't.

So at what point would you petition the network?

I will start by stating that I have not read all the replies in this thread.

People this is AMERICA. Have you heard of something called FREEDOM OF SPEECH?

Joy Behar is entitled to her opinion. Just as you are entitled to yours. Yes her comments were unkind to homeschoolers, but people have had worse opinions on other things that I have not seen you get annoyed about.

This is not the Soviet Union. We don't send people to Siberia or make them mysteriously vanish just because they are not following the way of every one else. If that was the case, the population of the USA would be a hell of a lot smaller.

You might want to read all the posts. No one is denying anyone their rights.

I will start by stating that I have not read all the replies in this thread.

People this is AMERICA. Have you heard of something called FREEDOM OF SPEECH?

Joy Behar is entitled to her opinion. Just as you are entitled to yours. Yes her comments were unkind to homeschoolers, but people have had worse opinions on other things that I have not seen you get annoyed about.

This is not the Soviet Union. We don't send people to Siberia or make them mysteriously vanish just because they are not following the way of every one else. If that was the case, the population of the USA would be a hell of a lot smaller.

Sure, she has freedom of speech. Who's denied her that? I have the same right, and can express it.

I'm curious, though. You joined here this month and have 11 posts. What other worse opinions have you seen here that others haven't gotten annoyed about?

This sentiment does seem to go both ways. ;)

I know what you are trying to imply, but you are dead wrong here. I don't have a history of knocking homeschoolers and homeschooling. The anti-homeschooling sentiment by the same posters over and over is obnoxious.