Menu

How to study for the SAT Subject test for Latin?

Janeway

No personal experience as ds dropped Latin when he entered his charter school as they did not offer it.  I did find this book however.  It seems to have mixed reviews??

HTH

https://www.amazon.com/SAT-Subject-Test-College-Admission/dp/0738610763

I also found this:

http://www.carmentablog.com/2017/07/04/get-perfect-score-latin-sat-subject-test/

Again, no idea how useful these resources are.  I am just googling around. 

Edited by Hoggirl

Study books for SAT Subject tests and CLEP tests all seem to have mixed reviews. This seems to be mainly due to the fact that they are review books, not teach you the entire subject in 6 weeks books. Do be careful that the "official" books sometimes just have sample tests as opposed to full explanations. My searches were not for Latin, but I assume these things are true across the board.

On 8/17/2018 at 5:04 AM, mumto2 said:

Not sure what your end plan is for Latin but thought I would mention in terms of entrance exams.  Dd did not do the A.P. but did do the SAT subject exam and received a high score.  Both of these curriculums were recommended options for the SAT and she used both.  FWIW, she felt Wheelocks was better preparation  for that exam.

Wheelocks, there are exercises online that correspond to the 6th editition, I believe.  We had no problems using them with an extremely cheap 7 th edition. https://web.uvic.ca/hrd/latin/wheelock/index.htm

She also used the review book @Hoggirl linked.

46 minutes ago, calbear said:

If anyone has used CAP's Latin Alive, I would be interested to know at what point you would be ready for the subject test. I'm paying attention to the OP's request for prep books as well.

I'm not familiar with it, but a student will be well prepared if they have the equivalent of Wheelock's completed

Copying this from a post some years ago, so the links may not be accurate.

For background ~

My daughter took out of the home Latin classes through AP Latin. (She used Cambridge Latin I through IV before her AP Latin class.)  She took the AP exam after her fourth year of Latin studies.  She also took the SAT Subject exam at about the same time.

As regards the Subject test ~

When I asked my daughter what she found most helpful as regards the Subject test, she said taking the sample test in the The Official Study Guide for ALL SAT Subject Tests  was quite helpful in showing her what was expected. If your child were to do that, I think that would give you a good idea of how prepared your child currently is. My daughter's Latin instructor recommended Excelability in Advanced Latin by Marianthe Colakis. My daughter also spent some time with the REA SAT Subject Test in Latin book.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 2

My kids used Palma's REA review book, Excelability, and the test in the Official SAT subject test guide, as mentioned above.

One other (free!) source for review are the released NLE exams online. The grammar questions and reading passages from Level 3/4 Poetry or Prose are great for SAT subject test study. Just skip the culture & history questions.

• Like 2