Menu

Asking for a friend, which accepted UC (California) for pre-med?

Arcadia

5 minutes ago, calbear said:

What is the ask?

How should her child go about ranking his/her choices with the aim of going to medicine school.

Also what would be useful questions for her child to ask when they visit UCSD. She was rejected from UCB and UCLA.

Just from my own brief researching -- what is the school's acceptance rate to Med school, how difficult is it to get the undergraduate courses needed in a timely fashion, how easy/difficult is it to get undergraduate research, internships, etc.  How easy is it to get to the hospital to volunteer.  (The hospital at Davis is in Sacramento, so the student would take a shuttle there) .  Then I would think it would come down to personal preference of campus -- they are all so different in my opinion! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They are all good schools that could prepare you well for med school.  So it would be totally appropriate to consider other factors.  (Climate, geography, etc.)  I have a soft spot in my heart for UC Davis.  It’s such a nice college town, and the campus seems smaller and more approachable than some of the larger UCs. But that said, easy access to a campus hospital is such an advantage for volunteering.  That would probably be a deciding factor for me. 

• Like 2

All things being equal, and that there  really is no preference for campus/community environment, she should consider the school where she ranks highest in the incoming class. Health professional schools rarely go lower than the top 15%.  There have been many discussion on this board regarding this issue. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

There are also statistics on how many of their own undergraduates they admit -- for instance, UCSD class of 2018 entering profile shows 134 total students, 30 of whom come from UCSD. 

https://medschool.ucsd.edu/admissions/PublishingImages/Pages/default/Statistical Profile of the 2018 Entering Class.pdf

Wow that seems crazy, that they’d Reject that many of their own students ....

Well, 3 of them actually have medical schools. So access (to hospital, volunteer work and internships, etc.) would be more plentiful at UCSD, UCI and UCD. UCSD/San Diego area is also a major hub for biotech which is another plus.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Calming Tea said:

Wow that seems crazy, that they’d Reject that many of their own students ....

I had the opposite reaction. I thought wow...they took a lot more of their own students than I would have imagined. 22% of the incoming class from their own school seems like a lot. My experience with B-schools is that they don't want students from their own schools in their MBA programs.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, daijobu said:

Sorry, but I just have to ask.  Why did you mention what sort of cars this student drives?  

Just to clarify that the student won’t have a problem commuting from college to hospital to home even if the student has to rent a car. Very capable driver. Maybe not driving a truck, no experience.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

FWIW, I don't know anything about this topic, but have 2 former coworkers each of whose kids did pre-med at UCSD and both went on to UCD for medical school and have since graduated and work for good medical groups in NorCal. They seemed to be aiming for med school at UCD even when their kids were in middle school.

• Like 1