Menu

Science is killing me...

fortheboys

If we homeschool my dd8 again next year, we are going to do a bit of a field-based study. Do you like to take field trips? Can you get to parks and do some of their nature programs? Here, we have just about every biome (is that the word? You know--meadows, ponds, woods, etc.) and have really good programs in the park system.

A weekly nature walk, a journal, and some experiment kits for those times you can't get out, might work for you.

Your kids are young. Don't stress.

You could study the rainforest. You could pick 10 animals and study one a week. You can ask what they want to learn and investigate things they are interested in. Really, you can just strew things around and see what they pick--there's lots of time, and it's ok to not get too heavy.

I read my first grader Let's Read and Find Out science books. He loves them and so does my 4 year old. After Christmas we are going to start doing the activities and experiments in each one.

My 1st grader is loving the FREE animal lapbooks from www.homeschoolshare.com! They include the info to complete them and library lists.

I agree. I know some kids just don't like them, and I think it's great to find other ways to draw out their interest. My boys, though, ask everytime we start a new study, "Will we make one of those scrapbooks -- I mean lapbooks?"

Also, just choose topics and use the library. I agree with Let's Read and Find Out Science. More favorites of mine are:

One Small Square, Gail Gibbons, Millicent Selsam, Alice Crew Gall (out of print, but totally worth the money!), Thornton W. Burgess (www.librivox.org has free audio books of his on animals and birds), Dr. Seuss Learning Library books.

Edited by nestof3