Menu

Chimney Question - filling a dummy flue with concrete??

PrincessMommy

I'm hoping someone here can help me with this question.

We have a fireplace with two chimney caps.  One is a dummy flue -  it goes at least 1/2 way down the chimney.  The other is for the wood-burning fireplace that we are converting to a vented gas fireplace insert.    

We also have a serious problem with spalling and water in the chimney.  The previous owner never put a cap on the chimney 😡  We had to break the damper in order to get it open and clean out the debris that had accumulated.  Fortunately, no animal carcasses.

The chimney company that cleaned the flue and put the cap on in prep for the insert suggested we fill the dummy flue with concrete and fix the spalling.   I'm trying to do research about filling a chimney with concrete but can't find anything associated with dummy flues.   I don't want to make a bad problem worse.  

I clicked because I have also had chimney issues. One old chimney was roofed over. Another cleared out and capped, filling the area between metal flue and masonry chimney with something that would not burn but that would help retain heat was suggested, but not concrete.

I  don’t know how concrete in an unused flue would help? I am sure in our flues it would not have been a benefit.  What is your flue made of? And where does it end?  I’m picturing the concrete going down and flowing out into some space below...?

I probably can’t picture the situation accurately in any case. 

Maybe get a second or third opinion from other chimney people in your area?

• Like 2

One of the reasons given was because it would deal with the obvious moisture issue that has caused the spalling.   The flue ends probably where the other chimney's damper is.  I actually don't know what is at the end - brick?  Wood?  Dunno.   That is a good question to ask.    

I think the issue is, if I cap it off without filling it there is air and moisture trapped in there that doesn't escape easily.  Also, because brick and mortar is somewhat porous, there could be more issues with moisture down the road.  

But, concrete seems so extreme - and not easily fixed if it's the wrong decision.  Ugh. 

By “flue” do you mean a tube of some material? If so, what material?  

And where is the spalling? The outer chimney brick or concrete or...??? 

How is a tube of wet concrete supposed to cure and dry better than just moisture?

If there’s a working flue in same chimney, would not that warm and dry the other flue? 

7 minutes ago, Pen said:

By “flue” do you mean a tube of some material? If so, what material?  

And where is the spalling? The outer chimney brick or concrete or...??? 

How is a tube of wet concrete supposed to cure and dry better than just moisture?

If there’s a working flue in same chimney, would not that warm and dry the other flue? 

The spalling is about the top 10 feet or so.   The previous owner added to the length of the chimney when he added a 2nd floor about 30yrs ago.  It looks like that is the part that is spalling.  But, I can see water damage down the length of the chimney brick.   The chimney was not lined previously.  It looks like the inside is masonry- but the house was built in 1960 - so I don't know what they were using then.  The outside brick/mortar.

Yes, there would be warmth generated by the other flue with the vented gas.  I don't know if it would dry it.  I live in a humid climate.  

I think I will get a 2nd opinion.  I'm also worried about the extra weight from cement.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1

I don’t see how the concrete in flue would help.  It might even cause wetness to gather there if condensation is an issue in your climate.

I would think water is going to soak into brick from rain and humidity from the outside unless it is sealed and has a cap with large overhang.  

• Like 1