Menu

2nd Update in OP: Have you done anything concrete that has noticeably improved your immune system?

On 3/12/2019 at 8:47 AM, PeterPan said:

I had never heard that!! Might explain why taking large amounts doesn't seem to help, sigh. 

On 3/12/2019 at 9:00 AM, Pen said:

Vitamins etc may help (or not help) different people differently, and it may also be that they help more or less depending on the type of illness, and the exact form, amount, and dosing regimen...

It is symptomatic relief for me. Firstly I can’t do large doses, instead I go for timed release versions, or spread out dosage of tablets as prescribed by the doctor, or take a cup (8oz/250ml) of orange juice every few hours. My stomach and kidneys would not be happy with large doses.

I do get gum bleeds and bad running nose with my colds so taking Vit C helps me get a good night sleep (not waking up to wipe runny nose) and less bleeding gums.

• Like 1

I wouldn't discount getting the surgery.  A couple years ago I had my deviated septum fixed, turbinate reduction in my nose, tonsils and uvula removed and soft palate reshaped.  So, admittedly a lot more than you are talking about.  It hasn't helped my sleep apnea as much as I would have liked, but I no longer gag during dental procedures and breathing through my nose is amazing.  Once I had healed I was a bit miffed that the rest of the world had been breathing through their nose so easily and no one had told me it didn't have to be like that.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Wait, you lasted a month through the sinus infection before getting antibiotics? Why? If you are prone to sinus infections, the key is to jump on them right away, so the mucus doesn't sit there stagnating. I have a horribly deviated septum (it is actually S shaped, so blocks both sides!) but i stopped the infections by 1. avoiding or treating allergens 2. take regular behind the counter Sudafed and mucinex at the first sign of congestion and if pressure I also take ibuprofen and drink a bathtub of fluids. If that doesn't work go right away to get antibiotics, don't wait!!!!

The surgery is pretty intense, my mom had it. Ive done as well as her just by using Sudafed regularly when needed, instead of ignoring sinus stuff and hoping it gets better, like she does.  

I'm terrible at maintenance.  This time around, I actually did pretty well- I did 7 days of a decongestant nose spray, then another two weeks of a saline nose spray, all with no luck.  I then self-medicated with an antibiotic nose spray left over from who-knows-what in our medicine cabinet.  Yes, yes, I know... I'm bad.  If I hadn't attempted to self-medicate, I would have gone in a week sooner.  I have a high discomfort and also pain tolerance and I have this completely irrational feeling that I *should* be able to beat this myself through a healthy lifestyle, blah, blah, blah.  And I get really annoyed at having to go see a doc for *just* a sinus thing.  This time around, it was getting up in the middle of the night to get an icepack to put on my aching face and getting caught by DH, who was like, GO TO THE DOCTOR ALREADY!!!  

Excuses, I know.  

The recovery process is why I didn't have a septoplasty done two years ago, heard it can be pretty rough.  I do have a few more symptoms, so it's not just infections.  I also snore REALLY loudly and am a mouth-breather.  So there are a few things weighing in favor of the septoplasty.  I'm not done reading about it though.  I'll see the ENT in a few weeks and see what he says.  

4 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I'm terrible at maintenance.  This time around, I actually did pretty well- I did 7 days of a decongestant nose spray, then another two weeks of a saline nose spray, all with no luck.  I then self-medicated with an antibiotic nose spray left over from who-knows-what in our medicine cabinet.  Yes, yes, I know... I'm bad.  If I hadn't attempted to self-medicate, I would have gone in a week sooner.  I have a high discomfort and also pain tolerance and I have this completely irrational feeling that I *should* be able to beat this myself through a healthy lifestyle, blah, blah, blah.  And I get really annoyed at having to go see a doc for *just* a sinus thing.  This time around, it was getting up in the middle of the night to get an icepack to put on my aching face and getting caught by DH, who was like, GO TO THE DOCTOR ALREADY!!!  

Excuses, I know.  

The recovery process is why I didn't have a septoplasty done two years ago, heard it can be pretty rough.  I do have a few more symptoms, so it's not just infections.  I also snore REALLY loudly and am a mouth-breather.  So there are a few things weighing in favor of the septoplasty.  I'm not done reading about it though.  I'll see the ENT in a few weeks and see what he says.  

Did you use an oral decongestant? One with actual pseudoephedrine in it? If the deviated septum is bad enough it can keep the spray from getting where it needs to go, up into the sinuses. You really need to do the oral meds as the first line when having congestion. 

Also, wait, what kind of decongestant spray? How much? Steroid spray is what we are talking about here, to take down the inflammation and slow mucus production. The other ones are just for a short term fix, and if you use them more than 3 days you get rebound congestion/swelling from them. If i HAVE to use them to breathe I use half the dose, and only once a day, not twice, to minimize rebound (but still get it). 

Oral decongestant at first sign of congestions, plus steroid spray, not decongestant spray. 

33 minutes ago, ttt said:

I wouldn't discount getting the surgery.  A couple years ago I had my deviated septum fixed, turbinate reduction in my nose, tonsils and uvula removed and soft palate reshaped.  So, admittedly a lot more than you are talking about.  It hasn't helped my sleep apnea as much as I would have liked, but I no longer gag during dental procedures and breathing through my nose is amazing.  Once I had healed I was a bit miffed that the rest of the world had been breathing through their nose so easily and no one had told me it didn't have to be like that.

I know two people who have had a septum repair, and one said he was afraid when he took his first breath through his nose that he might accidentally suck one of his small children up because he could suddenly get in so much air through his nose.  😄  I have never been able to breathe easily through my nose.  I can do about three breaths, then I have to open my mouth to breathe because my nose breathing is inadequate and I start to get winded- this has been true since forever (childhood), regardless of illness or season.  I luckily do not have apnea, but my snoring is bad enough that I was tested for it.  Nope, I just snore.  lol

2 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Did you use an oral decongestant? One with actual pseudoephedrine in it? If the deviated septum is bad enough it can keep the spray from getting where it needs to go, up into the sinuses. You really need to do the oral meds as the first line when having congestion. 

Also, wait, what kind of decongestant spray? How much? Steroid spray is what we are talking about here, to take down the inflammation and slow mucus production. The other ones are just for a short term fix, and if you use them more than 3 days you get rebound congestion/swelling from them. If i HAVE to use them to breathe I use half the dose, and only once a day, not twice, to minimize rebound (but still get it). 

Oral decongestant at first sign of congestions, plus steroid spray, not decongestant spray. 

I have not used an oral decongestant, though I do take allergy meds all spring-summer.  I was under the impression steroid sprays are for maintenance, not for illness.  I'm terrible with maintenance care.  I am very much, "I am not sick at this moment, and will therefore never be sick again."  But you are right, I need to be diligent.  I will also ask about oral decongestant.  I don't know why I haven't been advised to take any... weird.  I will talk to the doc.

4 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I know two people who have had a septum repair, and one said he was afraid when he took his first breath through his nose that he might accidentally suck one of his small children up because he could suddenly get in so much air through his nose.  😄  I have never been able to breathe easily through my nose.  I can do about three breaths, then I have to open my mouth to breathe because my nose breathing is inadequate and I start to get winded- this has been true since forever (childhood), regardless of illness or season.  I luckily do not have apnea, but my snoring is bad enough that I was tested for it.  Nope, I just snore.  lol

I have not used an oral decongestant, though I do take allergy meds all spring-summer.  I was under the impression steroid sprays are for maintenance, not for illness.  I'm terrible with maintenance care.  I am very much, "I am not sick at this moment, and will therefore never be sick again."  But you are right, I need to be diligent.  I will also ask about oral decongestant.  I don't know why I haven't been advised to take any... weird.  I will talk to the doc.

Given your issues surgery may well be indicated. But yes, I'd find out about oral decongestant. Here is is without a prescription, but you have to sign it out at the pharmacy counter and give your license because people use it to make meth. 

33 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

If you are still in Switzerland, this is the brand name for the same thing as Sudafed here. https://www.tabletwise.com/nigeria/otrinol-capsule

Thank you!  You've done my research for me and I feel sure I've never gotten this med before! 😡  Going to give my doctor a hard time next time I see him!  He's very good at handing out what I want if I come to him with the name of a medication and say "give me this!"

13 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Going to give my doctor a hard time next time I see him!  He's very good at handing out what I want if I come to him with the name of a medication and say "give me this!"

Besides Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine, https://www.drugs.com/international/pseudoephedrine.html), Piriton (Chlorphenamine, https://www.drugs.com/international/chlorphenamine.html) works when Sudafed does not for me. It’s a trial and error process and depends on the cause of the illness.

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Besides Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine, https://www.drugs.com/international/pseudoephedrine.html), Piriton (Chlorphenamine, https://www.drugs.com/international/chlorphenamine.html) works when Sudafed does not for me. It’s a trial and error process and depends on the cause of the illness.

Thank you!  I am taking these down as notes to show my doc!

If you’re mouth breathing, it would be good to figure out how to correct that because your body ends up making a lot less nitric oxide. The cardiovascular system ultimately is affected. Certain foods can help but so can breathing through the nose.

http://www.clevelandheartlab.com/blog/nurturing-nitric-oxide-heart-healthy-chemical-blood-vessels/

If you decide to do the surgery, find someone who does a lot of them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

If you’re mouth breathing, it would be good to figure out how to correct that because your body ends up making a lot less nitric oxide. The cardiovascular system ultimately is affected. Certain foods can help but so can breathing through the nose.

http://www.clevelandheartlab.com/blog/nurturing-nitric-oxide-heart-healthy-chemical-blood-vessels/

If you decide to do the surgery, find someone who does a lot of them.

The nitrous oxide thing is new to me, someone mentioned it upthread as well and that humming produces more.   I have been humming every time I go to the bathroom!  lol.  But I still have to take a deep breath through my mouth, hum for quite a while, then let out the last of my breath through my mouth.  I just can't get enough air in through my nose.  

I am checking out the link now!

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 5:15 PM, Farrar said:

Does getting my kids out of the germiest kid stage count? Honestly, that's what's made the difference. You still have a couple more years to go there, I think...

Yes -- I was going to say the same thing!

• Like 2

Try the little nose gizmo, too. I use one at night and it makes such a difference. It’ll give you an idea of what it’s like to breathe easier. Just soak in hot tap water first to make more pliable because it’s initially stiff and almost like a torture device! It’ll soften over time, too.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sleepright-nasal-breathe-aids/ID=prod6051952-product?ext=gooKBM_PLA_-_Health_Care&pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku6049408&sst=_k_EAIaIQobChMIxte23KKC4QIVUbjACh3SpQOHEAQYECABEgISJ_D_BwE_k_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxte23KKC4QIVUbjACh3SpQOHEAQYECABEgISJ_D_BwE

• Like 1