Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW11: 52 Books Bingo - Something Borrowed

Robin M

Is it possible to read too many books at once?  I just started The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri aa a way to pass the overnight hours as I sit with my mom, who’s recovering from surgery, in the hospital.  I borrowed it from Amazon Prime on my Kindle app, so it will work for Something Borrowed for bingo. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, hopeistheword said:

Is it possible to read too many books at once?  I just started The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri aa a way to pass the overnight hours as I sit with my mom, who’s recovering from surgery, in the hospital.  I borrowed it from Amazon Prime on my Kindle app, so it will work for Something Borrowed for bingo. 

I hope your mother recovers quickly and is able to go home!  The Namesake looks interesting so looking forward to the review.........

I always have many books being read at the same time especially if you look at my current books on Goodreads!😳. I had over 20 up there the other day which may be a record!  Most of those books are simply in the stack with a page or two read and given sort of a proceed thumbs up,  they go onto Goodreads so they get counted if I finish them at a time when I can’t instantly enter them as read.  I tend to remember that I finished when I look at it in currently reading so they all go up once every week or so.   I sort of depend on Goodreads to keep me from reading duplicates now that I read so many on Overdrive and don’t look at the covers as much.  I tend to remember covers not titles!

I think my limit for books that I am actually reading faithfully is around 6.  They need to all have very different settings/genres or I can’t keep them straight.  Normally when I am doing my multiple book juggling act one of the books sort of calls to me to finish it and a cascading effect happens where I just start reading to finish them one at a time in rapid order of how close to the end I am!  So I guess I am not actually good at multiple books because I do single one out eventually! 

Currently I have a book of Miss Marple shorts, a Qiu Xialong (China) police procedural set in China, a Gamache (Canada)audiobook, and a Murderbot (Sci Fi) all seriously in progress.  I also have the current Theological Reads books in progress (there just hasn’t been much) which brings me up to six.

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I hope your mother recovers quickly and is able to go home!  The Namesake looks interesting so looking forward to the review.........

I always have many books being read at the same time especially if you look at my current books on Goodreads!😳. I had over 20 up there the other day which may be a record!  Most of those books are simply in the stack with a page or two read and given sort of a proceed thumbs up,  they go onto Goodreads so they get counted if I finish them at a time when I can’t instantly enter them as read.  I tend to remember that I finished when I look at it in currently reading so they all go up once every week or so.   I sort of depend on Goodreads to keep me from reading duplicates now that I read so many on Overdrive and don’t look at the covers as much.  I tend to remember covers not titles!

I think my limit for books that I am actually reading faithfully is around 6.  They need to all have very different settings/genres or I can’t keep them straight.  Normally when I am doing my multiple book juggling act one of the books sort of calls to me to finish it and a cascading effect happens where I just start reading to finish them one at a time in rapid order of how close to the end I am!  So I guess I am not actually good at multiple books because I do single one out eventually! 

Currently I have a book of Miss Marple shorts, a Qiu Xialong (China) police procedural set in China, a Gamache (Canada)audiobook, and a Murderbot (Sci Fi) all seriously in progress.  I also have the current Theological Reads books in progress (there just hasn’t been much) which brings me up to six.

Thanks for the well wishes! She’s recovering well and should go home today. 

Your method for putting titles in Goodreads is exactly what I do, down to the exact same reasons.   Also, the “cascading effect” of having one book you’re trying to finish happens to me, too! However, one problem I have (which is probably just my own issue in grasping the technology) is what to do with a book (how to mark a book) on Goodreads if I decide not to finish it. 🤔. It seems to me that there is no choice for “abandoned.”

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

Thanks for the well wishes! She’s recovering well and should go home today. 

Your method for putting titles in Goodreads is exactly what I do, down to the exact same reasons.   Also, the “cascading effect” of having one book you’re trying to finish happens to me, too! However, one problem I have (which is probably just my own issue in grasping the technology) is what to do with a book (how to mark a book) on Goodreads if I decide not to finish it. 🤔. It seems to me that there is no choice for “abandoned.”

Great news about your mom!

You can have 4 exclusive shelves on Goodreads and only 3 are assigned so I added an abandoned as my fourth.  Go in to the edit function on bookshelves....

I only use abandoned if I have read a chapter so know I am not interested now or know I never want to read that book.  That shelf has mixed connotations but definitely makes me think before starting the book again.  I have thought about separating them but have delayed due to the second shelf not being able to be exclusive.....  I tend to just put books back in want to read if they simply needed to be returned to a library etc.....  I love being able to sort my bookshelves on Goodreads and am rather obsessed with them/it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Some bookish posts ~

Nobel Foundation Confirms It Will Award 2 Literature Prizes In 2019, With Changes

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/05/700388717/nobel-foundation-confirms-it-will-award-2-literature-prizes-in-2019-with-changes

16 NONFICTION BOOKS FOR FICTION LOVERS

https://bookriot.com/2019/02/28/nonfiction-books-for-fiction-lovers/

The Strange Things I've Found Inside Books

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2019/02/27/the-strange-things-ive-found-inside-books/

5 Books for the Fantasy Naturalist  by Melanie R. Meadors

https://www.tor.com/2019/03/08/5-books-for-the-fantasy-naturalist/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Wow! I'm actually finding it difficult to keep up with DD14.  I may have to abandon my own books.

17. "Manga Classics: MacBeth" adapted by Crystal S. Chan.  DD14 is still ahead of me.  She just finished Scarlet Letter.  MacBeth is all original language, right down to the "Is this a dagger that I see before me?" and all that great stuff.  DH asked DD what it was about, and her reply was, "He ends up with his head on a stick!!!"  She's a bit morbid, so I think that means she liked it.

16. "One Dead Spy" by Nathan Hale.  One of the two series DD14 is reading that I'm trying to keep up with.

15. "Stellar Science Projects About Earth's Sky" and "Wild Science Projects About Earth's Weather" by Robert Gardner.  These are for younger readers than the other one by him that I read, so I'll count the two together.  These should be just about right to try with DD9.

14. "Stuff Matters" by Mark Miodownik.  Loved this!  We were fans of James Burke's Connections back in the day, and I love seeing connections between things.

13. "Led by Divine Design" by Ronald A. Rasband. (LDS)

12. "Forensic Science Projects with a Crime Lab" by Robert Gardner. 

11. "Manga Classics: The Jungle Book" adapted by Crystal S. Chan

10. "Donner Dinner Party" by Nathan Hale. 

9. "Manga Classics: The Stories of Edgar Allan Poe" adapted by Stacy King. 

8. "Bodies We've Buried" by Jarrett Hallcox and Amy Welch.

7. "The Forensic Casebook" by N.E. Genge.

6. "Shaken Faith Syndrome" by MIchael R. Ash. (LDS)

5. "Fingerprints: Crime-Solving Science Experiments" by Kenneth G. Rainis.

4. "Forensic Investigations" (6) by Leela Burnscott. & ("Bones Speak" by Richard Spilsbury)

3. "A Reason for Faith" edited by Laura Harris Hales.  (LDS)

2. "Left Standing" by Mason Wells, et al. (LDS)

1.  "Camino Easy" by B. G. Preston. 

• Like 7

Haven't been reading too much in the last week and a half as I've been under the weather. Instead I've started binge watching Last Tango to Halifax!

I do have a book question for @mumto2.  Are any of the Clare Fergusson mysteries set during the warmer summer months? I just started the 4th book in the series and once again it is cold and our favorite Reverend is still driving her unsensible car. The last book it was late spring with snow still on the ground, now it is November with a hard frost. I had to bundle up in a sweater and blanket as I was reading because it was making me feel even more cold and achy!!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Last week I mentioned having read  Clean by Alex Hughes.   I continued on with the series and just finished  Sharp: A Mindspace Investigations Novel. which I also enjoyed. I saw a review which compared this to a cross between JD Robb's ...in Death series and the Dresden Files. I intend to continue on with the series.

"HISTORY HAS A WAY OF REPEATING ITSELF, EVEN FOR TELEPATHS.…

As a Level Eight telepath, I am the best police interrogator in the department. But I’m not a cop—I never will be—and my only friend on the force, Homicide Detective Isabella Cherabino, is avoiding me because of a telepathic link I created by accident.

And I might not even be an interrogator for much longer. Our boss says unless I pull out a miracle, I’ll be gone before Christmas. I need this job, damn it. It’s the only thing keeping me sane.

Parts for illegal Tech—the same parts used to bring the world to its knees in the Tech Wars sixty years ago—are being hijacked all over the city. Plus Cherbino's longtime nemesis, a cop killer, has resurfaced with a vengeance. If I can stay alive long enough, I just might be able to prove my worth, once and for all... "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

A limited time offer....

Regards,

Kareni

Download a Free Ebook of John Scalzi’s The Collapsing Empire Before March 16, 2019!

Each month, the Tor.com eBook Club gives away a free sci-fi/fantasy ebook to club subscribers.

We’re excited to announce that John Scalzi’s The Collapsing Empire, a dauntingly relevant story of the far-future, is the Ebook Club pick for March 2019!

Riding The Flow, the only way to travel faster-than-light, humanity spreads to innumerable other worlds. Earth is forgotten. A new empire arises, the Interdependency, based on the doctrine that no one human outpost can survive without the others. It’s a hedge against interstellar war—and, for the empire’s rulers, a system of control.

The Flow is eternal—but it’s not static. Just as a river changes course, The Flow changes as well. In rare cases, entire worlds have been cut off from the rest of humanity. When it’s discovered that the entire Flow is moving, possibly separating all human worlds from one another forever, three individuals—a scientist, a starship captain, and the emperox of the Interdependency—must race against time to discover what, if anything, can be salvaged from an interstellar empire on the brink of collapse.

Winner of the 2018 Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel

Finalist for the 2018 Best Novel Hugo Award

The Collapsing Empire is available from March 12, 12:01 AM ET to March 15, 11:59 PM ET

Download before 11:59 PM ET, March 15, 2019.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

Last week I mentioned having read  Clean by Alex Hughes.   I continued on with the series and just finished  Sharp: A Mindspace Investigations Novel. which I also enjoyed. I saw a review which compared this to a cross between JD Robb's ...in Death series and the Dresden Files. I intend to continue on with the series.

"HISTORY HAS A WAY OF REPEATING ITSELF, EVEN FOR TELEPATHS.…

As a Level Eight telepath, I am the best police interrogator in the department. But I’m not a cop—I never will be—and my only friend on the force, Homicide Detective Isabella Cherabino, is avoiding me because of a telepathic link I created by accident.

And I might not even be an interrogator for much longer. Our boss says unless I pull out a miracle, I’ll be gone before Christmas. I need this job, damn it. It’s the only thing keeping me sane.

Parts for illegal Tech—the same parts used to bring the world to its knees in the Tech Wars sixty years ago—are being hijacked all over the city. Plus Cherbino's longtime nemesis, a cop killer, has resurfaced with a vengeance. If I can stay alive long enough, I just might be able to prove my worth, once and for all... "

Regards,

Kareni

This looks like an interesting series.  I haven’t had a chance to look for it yet but I will later tonight.

2 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Haven't been reading too much in the last week and a half as I've been under the weather. Instead I've started binge watching Last Tango to Halifax!

I do have a book question for @mumto2.  Are any of the Clare Fergusson mysteries set during the warmer summer months? I just started the 4th book in the series and once again it is cold and our favorite Reverend is still driving her unsensible car. The last book it was late spring with snow still on the ground, now it is November with a hard frost. I had to bundle up in a sweater and blanket as I was reading because it was making me feel even more cold and achy!!

I hope you feel better soon!  I am pretty sure there are a couple set in warmer weather..........but that series does love big blizzards!

One thing about reading a series like Claire Ferguson and Gamache back to back is I get tired of some of the charming bits that are repeated every single book........like she is a woman Reverend and how Three Pines isn’t really there, per maps!   I am now on The Great Reckoning which is actually one of my favorites but is concentrating on the map part.  I stopped listening today just to take a break from the map bit.  At the same time this is the book with the stained glass windows which I find fascinating.  I adore church windows!

• Like 5

17 hours ago, hopeistheword said:

Well, I guess that depends on what you mean by 'too many'... since I've joined BaW, I've always got at least 3 books going, and often up to 5.  I also try to mix them up in format and theme between audio, ebook, hardcopy, nonfiction, fiction, or scifi or fantasy.  This helps keep me from getting muddled, lol.  Before I joined BaW, I only usually read one book at a time and that would have seemed like a lot to me, but it doesn't at all now...

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Haven't been reading too much in the last week and a half as I've been under the weather. 

I hope you'll soon be feeling better, Jenn.  (And now I'm wondering how the expression 'under the weather' came to be.)

On 3/13/2019 at 1:22 AM, hopeistheword said:

Is it possible to read too many books at once?

I just started The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri as a way to pass the overnight hours as I sit with my mom, who’s recovering from surgery, in the hospital.  

No.

Sending good thoughts for your mother's recovery.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

On 3/13/2019 at 7:33 AM, mumto2 said:

Great news about your mom!

You can have 4 exclusive shelves on Goodreads and only 3 are assigned so I added an abandoned as my fourth.  Go in to the edit function on bookshelves....

I only use abandoned if I have read a chapter so know I am not interested now or know I never want to read that book.  That shelf has mixed connotations but definitely makes me think before starting the book again.  I have thought about separating them but have delayed due to the second shelf not being able to be exclusive.....  I tend to just put books back in want to read if they simply needed to be returned to a library etc.....  I love being able to sort my bookshelves on Goodreads and am rather obsessed with them/it.

Thanks for this! I couldn't figure out how to 'abandon' books either. And I seem to be abandoning more lately!

18 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

I binged that show last summer! Lots of fun and I often found myself yelling at the characters haha. Hope you enjoy it, too (with or without the yelling). 🙂

• Like 5

On the "abandoned" topic....     there is a way to have more than 4 exclusive shelves on goodreads ( i did it on my pc.  Select edit shelves. Add shelf, make sure "exclusive" is ticked.  You can also switch any tag (ie: sip reading)  to become an exclusive shelf by ticking exclusive too.

(Unticking a shelf sends it back to a tag feature.)

I currently have 6 shelves: one down side is a book can only be in one of those shelves at a time though so books on my "sip reading" shelf can not also be on the "currently reading" shelf.

I would never have started using GR as much as i am now: thanks BaW moms/mums ❤  ( i love mumto2's idea of setting up a GRs something to archive reading suggestions for her DD!)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tuesdayschild said:

On the "abandoned" topic....     there is a way to have more than 4 exclusive shelves on goodreads ( i did it on my pc.  Select edit shelves. Add shelf, make sure "exclusive" is ticked.  You can also switch any tag (ie: sip reading)  to become an exclusive shelf by ticking exclusive too.

(Unticking a shelf sends it back to a tag feature.)

I currently have 6 shelves: one down side is a book can only be in one of those shelves at a time though so books on my "sip reading" shelf can not also be on the "currently reading" shelf.

I would never have started using GR as much as i am now: thanks BaW moms/mums ❤  ( i love mumto2's idea of setting up a GRs something to archive reading suggestions for her DD!)

I had no idea I could have more exclusive shelves........wondering if I should make the Brit Trip Ideas an exclusive in order to make it easier to find.  I played with it quite a bit to get it as high up on my shelf list as it is.  ETA It worked, they still say read etc. directly under the book but the shelf is now easy to find.  Thank you!

OK,  Like many of you I love children’s books and I also have a huge soft spot for donkeys.  A fun quilt pattern was released yesterday that is a Wonky Donkey apparently after the book.  Well, Dd and I decided we needed the pattern called Hee Haw and that has been purchased and downloaded (designed by a homeschool mom btw 😍) and I just learned about the book......oh my, so much fun.  About to go searching for my own copy!

You guys all need to watch the YouTube in this article https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/sep/10/the-wonky-donkey-viral-video-of-grandmother-makes-picture-book-a-bestseller It’s sold a whole lotta books.   

The illustrater did this https://www.wonkydonkeybook.com/. I loved learning about her process.

And finally, the blog post that started it all!  http://frame.bloglovin.com/?post=6834816725&blog=14978159&frame_type=none. As some of you know Dh and I take some of my quilts on photo shots.  I love the idea of taking one to the visit the Donkey sanctuary that Dd and I visit most summers.......

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Because I finished Digital Minimalism last night and am trying to actually practice some of what I read, I haven't been hanging out online in the past day or two (plus, Thursdays are the day LIFE catches up with me!)  However, I just had to come over and share this old interview with Wendell Berry, appropriately placed after Negin's link above.  Enjoy! I hope it gives you all the chuckle it gave me.  (Hat-tip to Sarah Clarkson's newsletter for the link.)

I'll be back on Saturday to catch up!  🙂

• Like 6

I continued reading the Mindspace series and finished   

which I enjoyed.  For some reason, my library had only books two and three in this series, so I've requested that they purchase books one and four to complete the series. It may be a while before I can read on.

"Freelancing for the Atlanta PD isn’t exactly a secure career; my job’s been on the line almost as much as my life. But it’s a paycheck, and it keeps me from falling back into the drug habit. Plus, things are looking up with my sometimes-partner, Cherabino, even if she is still simmering over the telepathic Link I created by accident.

When my ex, Kara, shows up begging for my help, I find myself heading to the last place I ever expected to set foot in again—Guild headquarters—to investigate the death of her uncle. Joining that group was a bad idea the first time. Going back when I’m unwanted is downright dangerous.

Luckily, the Guild needs me more than they’re willing to admit. Kara’s uncle was acting strange before he died—crazy strange. In fact, his madness seems to be slowly spreading through the Guild. And when an army of powerful telepaths loses their marbles, suddenly it’s a game of life or death.…"

I saw that the author has a FREE short work in the Mindspace series. I believe it's set after the first book; however, it would give you a taste of the series. The Kindle book also includes two short stories by the author that are not a part of the series.  I enjoyed all three pieces though one of the short stories was decidedly eerie.

Rabbit Trick: A Mindspace Investigations Short Story by Alex Hughes

"OPEN MIND

When the cops call me in the middle of the night, I know it’s bad. One of their own is dead, strangled in her car by a professional killer, and it’s up to me, telepath consultant extraordinaire, to pull the rabbit out of my hat and solve the case. Only this time I’m not so sure I can.

Homicide Detective Isabella Cherabino is breathing down my neck. The dead cop’s partner is too. Here's the bad news. Turns out the woman's five-year-old was in the car when she got murdered. Here's the worst news. No one can find that kid."

I read another FREE Kindle work, but it was far-fetched and not a book I'll be rereading (copious adult content).

Healing Hands: A SciFi Alien Romance by Stella Cassy

"A desperate father.
A world in danger. 

Rothren is a linguistics teacher on his home planet—or he was before the Neff virus took hold. Having lost everything, he hunts down a doctor that may be able to help save those who are left. Yet the universe holds more for them than simple business. 

Can a heart so broken learn to love again?

Marie is one half of a pair of brilliant physician sisters. She works tirelessly to provide excellent treatment to her patients, be they human or otherwise. But she's certainly not expecting feelings to develop after being abducted by a large alien. 

Love appears in the strangest places. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Hugs to all and virtual soup for those fighting colds and flu's.  Working on taxes and figuring out paint colors again for exterior of project house. We thought we had it all figured out but once you do a sample on the outside in shade and sun, it's totally different.  Painting all kinds of samples on the outside. Who knew there were so many different shades of grayish blue.  Funny thing is the original pieces of siding look green inside our house.  *facepalm*.   Contractor just told me he finished priming the inside so he needs to know inside paint colors on Monday.  "Hello, you said you were prepping the outside for painting. "   Hubby and I will be playing over the weekend with interior samples.   

Currently reading Bishop's Wild Country.  Hard to put down. 

😘

• Like 5