Menu

Dog carsickness cures?

Loowit

Our puppy gets carsick.  He is 7 months old and I was hoping he would outgrow it, but so far no luck.  We don't take him many places, however, with spring and summer coming (supposedly), we were hoping to take him on some hikes and outings with us.  But it wouldn't be very fun if poor puppy is not feeling well.  Right now we keep windows rolled down as much as we can, which seems to help some, but not completely.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Like 1

I recommend talking with your vet first, but dogs can be given OTC Dramamine (or generic equivalent).

Link

Another link

Bonine (meclizine) can also be given to dogs -- link

Cerenia is a prescription anti-nausea medication for dogs that works for motion sickness. I've never had to use it for that, but it is absolutely awesome for nausea due to GI upsets. If your vet will sell you some (or you could get a prescription and get it from an online pharmacy) then I'd use it versus one of the OTC products. One dose  is good for 24 hours, which makes it very convenient. Plus it doesn't seem to cause the drowsiness that the other two medications sometimes do. And really--it's very good stuff. I try to always keep some on hand.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

I don't know if our dog did outgrow it or if our strategy of quick short car rides increasing slowly into longer car rides actually worked. When we first got her, just the car trip home required an iv drip from the vet to replace her fluids. By the end though, asking her if she wanted to go bye bye would sending running circles in a delirious state of happiness.

• Like 2

I had a dog who used Dramamine, to go more than a block or two.  Though really it wasn’t distance so much as curves.  Possibly also the Bonine Pawz4me mentioned.  

Also on long curvy country road stretches I learned to take rest stops for her along the way - we both adjusted to about an hour driving, then a break. But I started with more frequent breaks and worked to less frequent.  

• Like 1

1. Empty stomach, or at least mostly empty. 

2. LOTS of practice short rides, maybe even practicing in the car running but in the driveway. Sometimes the nausea is a learned behavior, or at least conditioned, and they get anxious which aggravates the nausea.