Menu

Summer school at public school

Our school district offers free summer school for the month of June and I am thinking about enrolling my kids but could use some more thoughts on the matter. We live walking distance to the school and my kids went there last year. The summer school program is Monday through Thursday 9-3. I have heard that it's more relaxed than normal school- more project/theme based. My kids are currently finishing grades 5, 2, and k. The reasons I'm considering it are mainly 1) to give me a break 2) to give them something to do and 3) for them to see some friends from the neighborhood and friends they made at school last year. I'm just not sure if I will regret it and want to just hang out/relax. We have no plans for June. We usually get a pool membership and just go swimming a couple of times a week. Any thoughts?

18 hours ago, Calizzy said:

...The reasons I'm considering it are mainly 1) to give me a break 2) to give them something to do and 3) for them to see some friends ...

This is only my opinion, but these don't seem like reasons to enroll in summer school. Maybe a summer day camp would be a better alternative? Anyway, I could be interpreting this wrong, and I hope you and your kids have a great summer.

Who will be enrolled in this summer school? Are you sure their friends will be there? I would have imagined that the kids would be ESY (extended school year), kids who have behavioral problems or need continued services or who regress over the summer. I would not enroll your kids if they do not fit the demographic who will be going there.

Have you found out what OTHER opportunities will be in your area? Our park system has full day camps during the summer. You can probably ship them out pretty much all you want. Our Y has themed camps and unthemed camps. They might make friends across mutual interests that way, and they'd still get to swim.

Just as a suggestion, as someone who mind you doesn't have 3 kids, lol, what you might do with paid camps is to ship 2 kids each week and alternate who stays home with you. That would be special. You could cook, teach them to sew, do something that is harder to do with all the kids around.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

I don't see any harm in trying it.  It's 16 days - if they don't like it, they don't do it again.  It's that simple.  They have July and August to do the rest of summer, and you can count it as school for the coming year (if you have to count hours). 
I would definitely talk to other parents and kids that have done it and see what they think of the program.  There are programs here that sounded great on paper but had small, but significant red flags for us (like turning into an overly structured daycare).  It was only after talking to some of my kid's friends that we saw how it was.

Our elementary school had a summer enrichment program for kids classified as English learners. My kid always tested English proficient so she was never invited but some of my friends’s kids did and they all loved it, plus it was free of charge! I agree that it’s a good idea to ask around. If you get positive feedback, why not?

My friend’s kids enjoyed it. For my district it is more like a free daycare service and there is no academics involved. However the vacancies are few compared to the number of kids eligible to apply so it is by lottery system and priority is given to the public school kids.