Menu

Essentials in Writing

socody

We like it and have been using it for a few years. Oldest DD had the option of EiW (again) next year or a more "fun" program (Cover Story - which I thought looked awesome) and she wants to stick with EiW!

I'd say that the instruction is all in the DVD. The program isn't anything without it. 

I really liked it and it actually got done last year for 4th. But when I went to get it again for 5th this year DD said NO! Granted she just hates writing so she'll never settle and like something. But I think she just didn't want to watch the videos anymore. They are simple and short, but on the dry side. She didn't complain much last year (well no more than she does in general because it's writing), it was only when I brought it up for this year, so I think it was the anticipation of more writing more than anything. I've considered talking her into it again next year. It really does fit our needs well. 

• Thanks 1

I liked it. My kids absolutely did not. They couldn't pay attention to the DVD (despite the short lessons) and so I still had to go back and teach the content before they could complete the workbook pages. However, my kids (especially my DD with HFASD) has a really difficult time with independent work so that may be part of the reason why it didn't work for us. 

I prefer the upper grades.  They do seem to sit better for the videos once they are older.  The lessons are all on the DVD's, so I don't think it would work without them.  I do not like the grammar portions at all, and we have always skipped them.  I also dislike that they no longer offer the workbook on PDF.  😞