Menu

need busywork suggestions for K

caedmyn

My K'er needs a bit of busywork to keep him occupied while I'm working with his siblings.  Too much free play tines leads to him being noisy and disruptive.  He likes dot-to-dots so he does one every school day but otherwise I am not sure what to give him.  He doesn't like to cut or color.

Busy bags that work on fine motor skills

Quiet books

Playdoh with work mats

Engaging tablet apps that work on pre-k or kindergarten skills (Starfall, Duck Duck Moose apps, Khan Academy Kids app)

Engaging tv shows that work on pre-k or kindergarten skills or tell age appropriate stories (Wally-Kazam is a favorite here as well as Leap Frog phonics and Math Circus videos. The World of Peter Rabbit on youtube, (not Peter Rabbit and Friends from Nickelodeon) Gigglebox fairy tales on youtube, animated story books from your library's digital services)

Don't forget headphones if tablet or tv time for the younger child will distract the older children

Is it ok if the busywork is hands-on materials like fine motor stuff? We really enjoyed the monthly themed morning stations at Differentiated Kindergarten. I used a roller cart with drawers and would just fill the drawers with different activities. I'd get my materials at the Dollar Store, Target dollar spot and Walmart. Sometimes I just used whatever was a freebie for the month. Other times I'd buy her whole monthly activity PDF, especially the holiday months. Both my kids loved every single activity that I took the time to put together. They loved her stuff. I didn't print tons each month. But definitely the holiday months I'd print several of her activities.

https://differentiatedkindergarten.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CTVKath said:

Is it ok if the busywork is hands-on materials like fine motor stuff? We really enjoyed the monthly themed morning stations at Differentiated Kindergarten. I used a roller cart with drawers and would just fill the drawers with different activities. I'd get my materials at the Dollar Store, Target dollar spot and Walmart. Sometimes I just used whatever was a freebie for the month. Other times I'd buy her whole monthly activity PDF, especially the holiday months. Both my kids loved every single activity that I took the time to put together. They loved her stuff. I didn't print tons each month. But definitely the holiday months I'd print several of her activities.

https://differentiatedkindergarten.com/

She's amazing. What a great website! 

We mostly use manipulative kits for that purpose. Things like pattern blocks or c rods with booklets to guide play. Learning Resources has some science kits with task cards. Montessori materials can work that way but may be more expensive unless you DIY. You can also find free Lego task cards online.

Independent fun workbooks/activity books: Modern Curriculum Press Maps Charts and Graphs, Kumon folding, maze books, Star Wars workbooks, Mep Reception (with dry erase sleeves in a binder), Draw Write Now, Watch Me Draw

I like having stations set up or manipulatives or boxes of activities to rotate from. It can be blocks, magnets, magnatiles, large trays of dried beans with scoops and measuring cups, glue and things to glue- shredded paper, or craft materials, playdough, stickers, all things that are kid activities, but I keep them separated into centers or areas for school time. And I rotate occasionally or create new activities to do with them. Like last week at her playschool they built a maze and blew ping pong balls (light plastic ones) through it with a straw. She did that at home several times with materials we have here. New idea with things we already have... 

If you’re ok with electronics during that time, look at artforkidshub.com  they have great follow-along drawing that my boys liked

mystery science also has good videos that can hold attention

non-electronic ideas:

do-a-dot markers with activity book/sheets

measuring cups and a sink 🙂

Easy/do by yourself worksheets (I like confessions of a homeschoolers daily learning notebook for this) this is especially good if you need structured, ‘do this every day during this time’, type of stuff