Menu

NW CTD Summer Camp? Summer plans?

Samantheia

Hello All,

I am considering NW CTD summer camp for my 7th grader and I'm wondering if anyone has sent their child to that summer camp. Did your child enjoy

it? What was their experience like? Also, what are everyone's summer plans? Camps? Travel? I am torn between just having a relaxed summer at home,

and signing them up for more  structured camps. My son is a reader and writer, and he would be happy to just stay home and read books and write his stories.

However, since we homeschool he already does quite a bit of that.

Thanks,

Jean

Summer sign-ups are already starting here. This year, Sacha will likely be going to Y camp (traveling to various amusement parks around So Cal), watersports and sailing camps in Mission Bay, San Diego junior lifeguards, JHU CTY (he hopes to do physics this year), and AoPS (Algebra/Geometry Prep). Ronen wants to do some art, martial arts, Parkour, cooking, watersports/sailing, and travel/amusement parks camps. Thankfully, they have charter school programs here that help to pay for some of this and CTY is very generous with the scholarships.   

No camps here next summer. The kids are going to have normal sport and academical lessons. They are planning to do a few projects on their on and another one will be assigned by me. 

Plus a couple of trips abroad with a family and fun by the seaside daily. 

Edited by Rush
  • Like 1

My 8th grader wants to go back to CTD this summer. he took his first CTD Class last summer after four at CTY. He does not want to go back to CTY.  The key difference between the programs is that CTD has many off-campus excursions included in the fee.  Last summer he went to Museum of Science, the Museum of Art, and the zoo, and that popular hamburger place.  If you go to CTD, your kid will need about $200 spending money (double the recommended $100) because so many off campus snacking opportunities.  This summer, he is taking biology. Next summer, it will be the 5 week AP Chem class.  

• Like 2

DD14 has applied to the animal science track of the State governor’s school in Ag science. If she doesn’t get accepted this year, she will probably apply to THINK in Reno. She also wants to present at JMIH this year, but it overlaps THINK, so we’re waiting until she knows If she has a slot in Governor’s School or not. 

Update-she's an alternate, so we'll find out in the next month if she has a slot or not after the selected students confirm. They went from 75 slots in her track last year to 34 this year due to budget reasons, and based on what I'm seeing from other parents, it looks like almost all Sophomores got turned down-so to be an alternate as a Sophomore seems to mean that they do want her, and she'll probably get a slot next year. On to the THINK application!

Edited by dmmetler

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 6:59 PM, SeaConquest said:

Summer sign-ups are already starting here. This year, Sacha will likely be going to Y camp (traveling to various amusement parks around So Cal), watersports and sailing camps in Mission Bay, San Diego junior lifeguards, JHU CTY (he hopes to do physics this year), and AoPS (Algebra/Geometry Prep). Ronen wants to do some art, martial arts, Parkour, cooking, watersports/sailing, and travel/amusement parks camps. Thankfully, they have charter school programs here that help to pay for some of this and CTY is very generous with the scholarships.   

Just got word this morning that Sacha got into the Physics of Engineering at CTY this summer. He is so stoked! Hoping this will also give him a running start for Jetta's class in the fall -- if he can get in. Yay! 🙂

4 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

Just got word this morning that Sacha got into the Physics of Engineering at CTY this summer. He is so stoked! Hoping this will also give him a running start for Jetta's class in the fall -- if he can get in. Yay! 🙂

My 8th grader took that class a few years ago as his first residential class. Not much math or hardcore physics. Mostly modeling and demonstration of principles.  he had a great time.  Many matters explored in the summer program helped later  in 5-6th grade science classes at school.

• Like 1

This year my kids are 12 and I'm trying to hold back from stuffing the entire summer with camps and lessons, like I have in the past.

June will still be full, as I have a big work deadline (maybe 2) and I can't be chasing kids around.  I've signed them up for the whole 4 weeks of June, plus 4 other weeks:

• Chess camp - this is the first year we finally found one that works in our schedule.  I never get around to teaching them at home.  This is going to be 9am to 4pm for a whole week, so I hope they like it.  😛
  • Wildlife biology camp at the zoo.  Geared to ages 11 & 12, so hopefully not lame. 
  • Latina culture camp.  They love this camp!  It includes geography, Spanish, music, dance, arts, sports, ....
  • Musical theater camp - residential (they stay in a college dorm).  One kid did this last year and talked the other kid into doing it with her.
  • Cooking camp - finally found one that is full-time for a week, so hopefully they learn something....
  • Junior medical camp at the natural history museum.  They incorporate so many interesting topics and visit different museums.
  • Academic review class - 2 weeks in August.  They will do math, study skills, and Spanish.  I was talked out of the English course as it is the same as last year.

I am thinking of trying Brave Writer this summer.  For June, they have a course that involves reading and writing about the book To Kill a Mockingbird.  In July / August I am thinking of trying their 3-week writing courses for middle school level.  I'll have to think of some way to get my eldest to read in July / August, as we're getting old for the summer reading clubs.

For math, most likely I will have them work at home.  I don't feel like revisiting any of the classes/camps they have done in the past.  Would love to know of any online program that includes real accountability, but so far I haven't seen one that does.  I ordered a few bridge workbooks and I have a more substantial middle school math workbook to work in.  I also have some fiction and nonfiction books that are supposed to help develop math skills.

We don't have any travel plans this summer, yet.  Maybe we will do a road trip!  The kids also say they want to camp in our old tent, which is funny since they always complain when I tell them we are going camping.

Sports - one kid will do horse riding, one will do gymnastics, both will do TKD.  Hopefully we'll fit in some swimming for fun.  I'm not signing them up for any outdoor camps, so they are on their own for the rest.

Hopefully we will do some cooking, home projects, reading together, hiking etc.  I have so many things we can do if we just find time for it.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1