Menu

Daniel Fast

lulalu

We start Monday.  Hands down our favorite recipe is an adaptation of this recipe

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/lentil-risotto-peasant-cooking-under-pressure/

If you PM me your email address, I'd be happy to send it to you.  I don't feel like retying it and it lives on my tablet and I don't know how to do copy and paste on the tablet to a browser (but my recipe app lets me email so that part is easy).

Otherwise, we do a lot of subbing of brown lentils for hamburger.  So stuffed peppers, tacos, chili etc are staples.  We also like black beluga lentils and I season them with fennel and italian seasoning and add it to spaghetti sauce (Costco actually has a spaghetti sauce without sugar, took me years to find one but other times I will just make a sauce with onions, garlic and fresh tomatoes).

If you can find unsweetened dried fruit (I dry my own but there are some places that sell it too).  There are many recipes here that work.  Our favorite is the apple pie one. https://leitesculinaria.com/88638/recipes-homemade-larabars.html

We make a version of this but mine uses green peppers and no parsley but I couldn't quickly find a version like that online

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/patatas-a-lo-pobre-potatoes-with-onion-and-parsley-spain-482401

Mine prefer this without chickpeas and less cayenne powder

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/165190/spicy-vegan-potato-curry/

And I wing it a lot but since the majority of my cooking is done without a recipe my kids are pretty used to "mommy concoctions" as they call it.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HollyDay said:

I didn't respond well to the Daniel Diet.  Also, didn't Daniel gain weight?

That was the point in the historical account. It was miraculous and the Babylon government recognized that. I’m not sure the “Daniel diet” attempts to replicate that? 

ETA: fasts usually involve grief and repentance and I think “Daniel diet” is just a fast using Daniel et al as guidance. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 1

Just now, SamanthaCarter said:

That was the point in the historical account. It was miraculous and the Babylon government recognized that. I’m not sure the “Daniel diet” attempts to replicate that? 

Yes, it was considered “so obvious” that a person could not thrive on a diet of just water and (standard, available) plant-based foods* that it was astonishing that Daniel did not suffer malnutrition. The Lord is credited for his intervention in Daniel’s life: seeing to it that he was well nourished in spite of such meagre fare.

*(Certainly a vegetarian diet can be well planned, meeting all nutritional needs, particularly through the use of beans and legumes. In historic context, Daniel and his contemporaries would not be aware of this type of protein substitutution.)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Just out of curiosity, is there an objective? Is your church praying or repenting of something in particular? Is it more of a Lenten season thing? Educate me, I’m a practicing Christian, so you won’t offend me. 

As a church we are praying for our city, nation, and church. We have some prayer guides that have specific things in these areas. A lot of churches participate in January. This is the first year my church is as well. 

• Like 2

On 1/5/2019 at 3:48 PM, bolt. said:

Yes, it was considered “so obvious” that a person could not thrive on a diet of just water and (standard, available) plant-based foods* that it was astonishing that Daniel did not suffer malnutrition. The Lord is credited for his intervention in Daniel’s life: seeing to it that he was well nourished in spite of such meagre fare.

*(Certainly a vegetarian diet can be well planned, meeting all nutritional needs, particularly through the use of beans and legumes. In historic context, Daniel and his contemporaries would not be aware of this type of protein substitutution.)

Huh. I think that is reading into the text.

I also read into a little, though, because I just assumed “vegetables” (don’t know what the original Hebrew means but English texts say vegetables) included foods from plants, like beans and maybe even grains. The point was to avoid meat sacrificed to idols, I thought. 

2 hours ago, Penelope said:

Huh. I think that is reading into the text.

I also read into a little, though, because I just assumed “vegetables” (don’t know what the original Hebrew means but English texts say vegetables) included foods from plants, like beans and maybe even grains. The point was to avoid meat sacrificed to idols, I thought. 

You are quite right.

Certainly the definition of ‘vegetables’ in the text is inclusive of plant-based foods.

He was absolutely avoiding meat and wine in order to avoid consuming things that had been dedicated to idols.

I only meant that, Daniel (and the royal menu planners) lacking a microscope, and being completely unaware of food science (or biology in general) could not have been *aware* of which (if any) available plant products would meet human protein needs. Within his rules, he could have eaten beans and legumes (if they were available) he just wouldn’t have known that it would help. He *thought* the Lord would help. He gave the Lord credit for helping.

The text indicates that he trusted the Lord to do this work — not that he considered the plants sufficient. Thus the role of prayer, the expectation of intervention, and the glorification of God at the end.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 11:07 AM, lulalu said:

As a church we are praying for our city, nation, and church. We have some prayer guides that have specific things in these areas. A lot of churches participate in January. This is the first year my church is as well. 

I have been a practicing Christian all my life... first as Protestant now as an Orthodox.  I have never heard of this diet/fast (it's been called both on this thread, so I'm confused).   Why January and not when Lent starts, when most other Christians will also be fasting and praying?

2 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

I have been a practicing Christian all my life... first as Protestant now as an Orthodox.  I have never heard of this diet/fast (it's been called both on this thread, so I'm confused).   Why January and not when Lent starts, when most other Christians will also be fasting and praying?

We don't practice lent. I don't know the orgins of the Daniel Fast movement in America, but there are 1,000s of churches participating in January. 

My church has had specific times of full fasting in the past for those that can participate at different times of the year and for different reasons. This is just the first year to do the Daniel Fast along with other churches. 

• Like 1