Menu

Are my children bored or is it me?

Actually, it is probably that they are bored because I am bored. I am afraid the kids are going to think our life is boring, no fun, blah, blah, blah. I am feeling that way, so maybe that is why I feel like they are going to feel that way. I feel like while I am taking care of the baby they are just floating around trying to find something to keep them occupied. My 5 yo just wants me to turn the TV on and I don't want to resort to that. They don't have access to a computer except a small amount of time for the 9yo, but not the youngers. The old computer isn't working and they are not allowed on the new one. I don't know what to do with them all day and that is why I was thinking the DVD school would be helpful, but I am feeling more and more like that is not the right direction. So, I keep thinking if I could do cool science experiments and history projects with them, then things would be better. But, I don't feel like I have the time or the energy to do those things. We don't have a car during the day and even if we did I wouldn't want to haul them all out probably. I just want to feel better about our days and not have that "here we go again" feeling when I wake up. I don't know, just thinking out loud....

Any thoughts?

You have a new little one so that is hard. But looking at your other children's ages they do need stuff to occupy them. Some suggestions: books on tape (the kind with the cassette or CD and a picture book to go with it), crafts - stickers, playdough, loom (the kind you make potholders on), puzzles, board games like Hi-Ho-Cheerio etc.. . . Could your 9 year old "organize" some simple experiments with the younger ones? I'm thinking the kind that are in the Usborne science books?

Doesn't MFW have history and science stuff already planned? (Doesn't MFW have a planned grammar program, too?)

Do you just not like it?

Or, do you just need to sleep until after Thanksgiving? And, then start fresh - just three more weeks til Christmas! Then two more weeks of rest...

And, this isn't to judge you - but why do you have three math curriculum? Just choose one, the easiest one for you! - and do it - just a little every day.

And, maybe look at SWR? Is it too teacher-intensive for you right now? Really, I would choose the easiest things, the least teacher-intensive things, if I had the number of children you have.

So, Maybe if you pared your list to MFW, a math, and a spelling - would that seem more do-able? And could you make it 4-day schedule, so you always have at least one guilt-free rest day a week?

And, don't discount being well rested. Maybe you all just need a week of the kids watching videos and you resting and cleaning (if that clears your head like it does mine) and getting a fresh look on things. (You don't seem like the "use the TV as a baby-sitter" type mom, so I'm sure one week won't hurt.)

I'm praying for you~

Thanks all.

Well, I need to change my siggy line. MFW Adventures is just about finished up. And, no, I didn't care for the science in it and some of the other aspects of it. SWR just never took off. Singapore is more of a supplement idea and I still am struggling to implement RightStart. There are things we are doing that are not even listed in my siggy line and I just don't like the flow of the way things are going. I have thought of doing MFW ECC and 1st. I have K, but really don't want to go through it again. I was going to use HOD, but felt it was too much to try to do 3 programs. I am reconsidering going back to it as I feel bored with my piecemeal items. Ughh, I just don't know what I need to do to get out of this funk. I feel like I can't do what I need or want to do because:

someone starts throwing tantrum

someone fusses about what I am asking them to do

someone needs a dirty diaper changed

someone needs to eat

someone needs to be put to sleep

someone wakes up from their nap before it is time and then they either have to be nursed back to sleep or they get up and are cranky and want to be held

someone gets into an argument with someone else and yelling and fighting ensues that must be dealt with

someone falls and hurts themselves

someone makes a mess that has to be cleaned up

someone gets tired of what they are supposed to be doing and then needs to be redirected....

I love my children and don't want to sound like I am complaining. It's just that these are the type of interruptions that have to be dealt with and I wonder how to work a plan when the plan keeps getting sidetracked. I just get discouraged and then give up and don't even want to try and then we just flounder around.

Right now I'm going through a really tough time. So, we are doing just our core subjects: math, grammar, Latin, Story of the World and SWR. (We are reading books about science and art, but not doing anything formally at the moment. The kids write their narrations in History and sentences and paragraphs in grammar and spelling, but I have had to drop our writing curriculum.) This is a phase...a temporary one...it will go away in time and we'll kick everything back up several notches when I'm ready.

What are your essential, core subjects?

How many can you combine?

How many children can you combine while you teach?

Are any good independent learners? Can you send them off with a workbook?

Sounds like you're in that phase of needing to reestablish a routine again.

This is a phase. A temporary time of insanity.

Do what you need to be sane--even if it's just to line the kids up on the couch and read to them all day long. Get them to help you with the chores though. From all I've read about large families, you can't survive without each child pulling more than his or her own weight.

Good luck.

As someone with dc 15, 10, 7, 6, 4, 2, and another on the way, I totally understand how you feel!

I have to multi-task. And realize that some things just aren't going to get done.

Take time when you need it just to ... be. Not all time needs to be productive (and sometimes things that seem unproductive really are!)

:grouphug:

Thanks all.

Well, I need to change my siggy line. MFW Adventures is just about finished up. And, no, I didn't care for the science in it and some of the other aspects of it. SWR just never took off. Singapore is more of a supplement idea and I still am struggling to implement RightStart. There are things we are doing that are not even listed in my siggy line and I just don't like the flow of the way things are going. I have thought of doing MFW ECC and 1st. I have K, but really don't want to go through it again. I was going to use HOD, but felt it was too much to try to do 3 programs. I am reconsidering going back to it as I feel bored with my piecemeal items. Ughh, I just don't know what I need to do to get out of this funk. I feel like I can't do what I need or want to do because:

someone needs to eat

someone wakes up from their nap before it is time and then they either have to be nursed back to sleep or they get up and are cranky and want to be held

someone gets into an argument with someone else and yelling and fighting ensues that must be dealt with

someone gets tired of what they are supposed to be doing and then needs to be redirected....

I love my children and don't want to sound like I am complaining. It's just that these are the type of interruptions that have to be dealt with and I wonder how to work a plan when the plan keeps getting sidetracked. I just get discouraged and then give up and don't even want to try and then we just flounder around.

I'm having to fight the discouragement harder this year than years past. We are never where I want us to be (but we never have been, either). I don't know if it's because my oldest is in 4th and finishing up his grammar years (I've always comforted myself with they're young ages), but I've wondered more this year than years past if they'd be better off in school, and I wonder if I've shortchanged them in their education. We're making progress, plodding along, but all of the interruptions make the plodding along seem less fruitful and I worry about next year (of course, the logical part of me kicks in and says I won't have a toddler next year for the first time in my hsing career). I feel like I'm floundering and failing much of the time, and I have to fight my perfectionistic-all-or-nothing tendencies in order to get anything done.

Anyway, I don't really have any suggestions, but wanted to let you know you're not alone. Homeschooling is hard work and it seems like sometimes everything and everyone is working against getting it done. :grouphug: to you.

A bunch of random thoughts...

I don't know how old your tiny one is, but those first few weeks with a new one can be difficult especially with your hormones shifting back to a new "normal".

I would consider stopping school for a week or two and working on attitudes, tantrum elimination or at least a consistent strategy, teaching them how you want them to obey you, etc. You could set up Simon Says type games to have them practice following your directions. I would also work on training them on chores to help them carry their weight. I agree with Alana in Canada on that one.

And yes, they need things to do. I like Jean's list and other things as well...

books on tape

puzzles

playdough

Legos

dress up clothes

wooden blocks

books to read

reading aloud to them

outside time, even when it's mucky outside

walks together

I would consider staying away from very teacher intensive programs as much as possible. Aside from our reading outloud time, our curriculums are relatively independent.

Another thing to investigate is learning to wear the baby. Having comfy carriers to hold the baby leaves your hands free and baby happy at the same time. And it doesn't have to cost a lot. A great carrier for a tiny one is a stretchy wrap that you can make yourself from fabric you find at a fabric store. Check out http://www.thebabywearer.com for more info. :) Wearing my little, especially on my back once he was big enough, made adding #5 much easier than it would have otherwise.

And try to carve out little bits of time for yourself.... a few minutes in the morning before others are up, or perhaps after everyone is in bed... or during rest time in the early afternoon... a cup of tea and a piece of chocolate can go a long way. ;)

Our children are all about the same ages (although, I'll have a new little gal in 6-8 weeks). And I know how hard it is now... getting ready for Abby is, well, awful.

This is what we started to implement when #4 was born... I expect we'll continue it with #5.

Workbooks -- as "school-ish" as they are, have been incredibly helpful in getting basic school work accomplished (reading, penmanship, grammar, spelling, etc.). We can do all of that from the couch -- together.

Math -- those that can use workbooks, use workbooks. While I do K12 math with the olders, it goes really quick. We play flash card games at night (I do add or sub, and he does mult/div). We set a timer and see how many cards the kids can get through in 5 min. We chart their progress. We'll be getting Chalkdust Math 3 for younger son to begin this summer)

We do Latin together (again, everyone in the same room) with the DVDs.

The younger children take turns reading aloud (I can't, or I'll be asleep faster than anything).

We have a Wii Fit (the ONLY game the children are allowed to do during the day). I set a timer for 15min. They all "run" together, and take turns doing Yoga, balance board, etc. This helps give them some activity (especially with the cold weather, I'm not going out, as I am very prone to bronchitis, etc. -- nor will I be taking infant out!)

Other board games... Monopoly Jr., Candyland, Trouble, Stratego, Connect4...

How Great Thou Art for the kiddos (with the lesson videos). The only lessons we haven't done yet are the painting ones, mainly because I can't figure out a way to do that without getting a HUGE mess.

I'm really good about changing diapers on the couch :D. The 3 youngest take turns retrieving diapers and disposing of them properly.

We have a list of things that *must* be done before certain other activities. My oldest daughter does trash, oldest son collects dirty dishes and puts them in the dishwasher, unloads the dishwasher -- youngest son puts away silverware, I really do most of the other putting away). All 3 children help with the cat, take care of the bathroom (at the surface level), and take basic care of their room.

By 2:00, all school work is done (for everyone), of course, there have been breaks throughout the day. At that time, there are an assortment of educational DVDs from which the children can choose. This also corresponds to 2.5yo's nap time.

Day to day, it's more or less about keeping on a routine, understanding that things happen, but by having those guidelines (what we do first, etc.), it at least makes the day go a bit more smoothly. It's not exciting or "fun" -- but most days we get through it.

The weekends, we have extra things. Dad or I work with the oldest on Webelo activities, we go to Costco as a family during sample time, the children rake & make leaf piles and jump in them... dad will hold the baby and lets me take care of some things -- plus, he usually runs breakfast and lunch on Saturdays to give me a break :D

Maybe I'm just resigned to getting through. I don't know. But, I guess I just feel getting through is better than setting myself up for frustration and dissapointment, because I just can't do it all.

School & home aren't perfect, but we're together, and happy.

Best wishes (knowing I'll be in your shoes soon enough!)

Lisa

The first thoughts that came to me:

The way I frame my life to myself has a lot to do with how *I* see it. If I'm thinking "boring" then I'm bored and it trickles down. ((Hugs)) That's kindly meant, by the way, because I have so been there, especially when I had a new little one. (I miss those new baby days.)

Some ways to re-frame that might help:

This is a great opportunity for your older children to learn a valuable skill--self-direction and exploration. Make simple activity boxes and set them on the shelf. (Think a science box with scales and measures and experiment books and magnifying glasses, or a math box with paper to fold and things to make and math stories to read, or a nature box, or a writing box with paper and pencils and word games and story starters....or a listening box with books on CD or music, or an art box with art books and supplies, a game box with strategy and thinking games like Blokus and Battleship and checkers and chess, or individual games like Rush Hour....) They can help make the boxes in an afternoon or two. During the time of day when they wander the most, start an independent exploration time where the only rules are that they must be occupied in something educational. If they say they're bored or start to wander, send them to the activity shelf.

Think of this as nesting time. You're resting and bonding as a family. You don't have to do cool experiments and hands-on history right now. Much of your energy is rightly going to your little one, and what's left can be used to focus on basic school and fun for the others. I've found that the older my "baby" (3, waaah!) gets, the more hands-on involved activities we're able to do together. But when he was tiny we didn't do nearly as much, at least not activities that took a lot of time and prep from me.

Can you get outside for a walk? I kept telling myself that we just didn't have time for a morning walk, the weather was bad, we were tired....but when I started bundling baby and heading out, even if it was for twenty minutes, we all had a *great* time, we got out of the house, and we returned energized and refocused.

Those are all things that worked for me. I see that the other ladies have some wonderful ideas and suggestions as well. :grouphug:

Cat

mine are 10, 9, 7, 5, 4, 2, and 3 weeks. Things are nothing short of hectic most days. But school is getting done on a regular basis-- more than when I was pregnant because, though I am tired, I feel human again. I also spent the time before little guy was born an established new chore charts which encorporated the 4 and 5 yo, and school check list that make the older 3 accountable for their work each day. Nothing is perfect and there are harried moments throughout the day, but it is going smoother than I thought it would. You arent alone. I often feel guilty when the 2 yo is screaming during the 2nd grader's spelling test, but they are learning to deal with distractions. I have also learned the chocolate chips make math a lot easier. ;)

Hang in there! Feel free to complain...you have 5 under 9 yo and life just gets difficult on some days. No matter what the schedule or how organized you are, these things are bound to happen w/ little ones. I would recommend keeping other aspects of your life as simple as possible: meal prep/clean up, housekeeping, laundry, etc.). Don't hesitate to use paper plates. Make that crockpot meal in the morning, if possible. Get plenty of sleep (the best you can anyway). Dig down deep for that sense of humor, it can be a lifesaver. I pray you are able to ask God for help and grace. You will be looking back at this someday, and counseling someone else who will have a housefull of little ones. You'll say "I remember those days." May the Lord give you peace and joy, in the midst of the craziness. Blessings.

How old is your youngest? Are you closing in on that three month mark or just three weeks? I think the distinction is critical. If baby is only three weeks old, sit back, kick your feet up, let your children snuggle in and enjoy some good books and educational movies. If the reading and movie materials are rich enough, they will begin acting out those stories which always improves the emotional environment of one's home. I wouldn't consider this school time, just healthy family bonding time. :) I would resume school after the first of the year.

Otherwise, I think the others have given you great advice. I would love to find a list myself that discusses the practical ins and outs of living a homeschooling life with three little ones under the age of five tagging along. It is a JOY filled life, but one that does make me stop and re-think how I do some of the simplest things even if I did grow up in a larger family myself.

Enjoy this precious time! It will pass all too quickly.

I suggest looking into something like MOTH to get everyone on a schedule. For school I would combine things and keep it simple. Your kids are young still so maybe SOTW for history and apolgia elementary science. Then just pick one math program for each and one english and you have your core subjects covered. Work on your routine and schedule and then think about adding more in.

Thanks all.

someone needs to eat

:grouphug: I could have written this post myself! I know how hard it can be homeschooling and, just life in general, with a baby. Some days are better than others that's for sure. I have come to realize that my attitude really does affect how my dc act. On days where I am bored and climbing the walls I find it a lot harder to manage my dc and I do find myself letting them watch tv or be on the computer almost all day. It really may be a hormonal thing for you right now but if things don't start looking up I would suggest you go in for an evaluation to see if you may be suffering from post partum depression.

Have you gone to Paula's Archives for activities for your little ones? It may be of some help.

I also think it is good for children to be bored sometimes, I think that is when they really learn to become creative.

Just know that you aren't alone in this, there are many moms out there going threw the same thing. :grouphug:

I agree with Jean. Managers of Their Homes (MOTH) by the Maxwells has been a breath of fresh air around here.

Combine the other children as much as is possible.

Have the older children take turns playing with the youngers so you can work one-on-one.

Institute playpen/room time for the littlest.

Make sure you are getting outside every day (or getting exercise indoors if the weather is bad). This will help with focus/moods/napping.

Read a lot. This is school!!

Enjoy them as much as you can. Sometimes we really have to make an effort to enjoy them, but after a while it comes more easily and the interruptions seems less like interruption and more like life.

You can do it!! Take a deep breath :-)