Menu

Super gentle makeup that I can afford?

SamanthaCarter

Ladies, I have allergies and super sensitive skin. I have eczema around my eyes almost on a permanent basis, but I would really like to start wearing makeup. I look old, and I’m really tired of looking like the used up daughter in law next to the other daughter in law of my DHs family. I’ll never attain her level of style, but I still want some self respect. 

Can you recommend anything for me? Most important, it needs to be preservative free, particularly citric acid free. Non drying. Thanks! 

The brands I use are Tarte, Bare Mineral, and IT cosmetics. I have extremely sensitive skin and mineral makeup is one of the few things I can tolerate. My best advice is to go to Sephora or Ulta and patch test something on your skin for 24hr before you buy, though Ulta has a very generous return policy you can utilize if necessary.

I use Bare Minerals color correcting concealer. It is $20ish, but it lasts me an entire year. It does contain lemon peel ferment extract though, so if citrus is a problem that won’t work for you.

Also - I don't know what you can afford, but I recently started wearing makeup after years without it, and I have found i am surprisingly picky, and that it is worth it to me to save up for a few higher end items than to try out several lower end products that don't perform like I want them to. I really like Tarte, but it is pricey. And I don't have sensitive skin, so I have no idea how it is for that. But if you can try it at Ulta o r Sephora, so you're buying a sure thing, it might be worth the money.

For drugstore stuff, Almay or Neutragena are the ones I'd try. Almay is usually pretty gentle. 

Also, how are you treating the eczema? I find the Aveeno Baby moisturizing cream to be the one thing that helps mine, particularly on my face. I apply it within 30 seconds of getting out of the  shower or I'm hurting. 

1 hour ago, SamanthaCarter said:

I treat my eyes with Shea butter and a prescription ophthalmic ointment. I only use the ointment when it really flares, because it has steroids. A lot of moisturizers sting. 

I do wear drugstore mascara with no problem on a fairly regular basis, but no other makeup. 

I know exactly what you mean about moisturizers stinging! I can't use any of the aveeno adult stuff, just that one moisturizing cream. I've used it for a decade now I think. No stinging at all. 

I think honestly, some mascara and some bright lip balm would do you just fine. You don't need much. 

• Like 1