Menu

Toy cars for 2-3 year old?

Night Elf

I can't remember how old he is and I'm embarrassed to ask my SIL. My nephew lives in another state and my SIL says he loves cars and books. My ds22 did too at that age but I thought I'd ask if there is a particular kind of car I should look at buying. I don't know if he's allowed to have matchbox cars or not so I am looking for something bigger. I'd prefer something I can buy on Amazon because I have it gift wrapped and mailed directly to them.

Also, I'm buying a book called Rumble in the Jungle. It's offered in hardcover, soft cover, or board book. Should I get the board book? I don't know if he's destructive or not and I'm worried the soft cover might get torn. But will a board book seem babyish?

I would look at Automoblox.  My kid loved them at that age.  If you get two, he can mix and match the pieces.

For the book, I would consider getting the soft cover.  I like board books, but by this age he'd be more likely sitting with mom to enjoy it.  If I was going for board book style it would be a more interactive book, like the cheerios ones or pop-a-dots.

32 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I would look at Automoblox.  My kid loved them at that age.  If you get two, he can mix and match the pieces.

For the book, I would consider getting the soft cover.  I like board books, but by this age he'd be more likely sitting with mom to enjoy it.  If I was going for board book style it would be a more interactive book, like the cheerios ones or pop-a-dots.

Thanks. It just occurred to me to ask SIL what type of book he'd prefer and if he even has the book I want to purchase. I hope she gets back to me today so I can get it ordered.

Those cars look good but are very pricey. 

41 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

Thanks. It just occurred to me to ask SIL what type of book he'd prefer and if he even has the book I want to purchase. I hope she gets back to me today so I can get it ordered.

Those cars look good but are very pricey. 

Check Marshall's, if you're buying in person.  I nearly had a heart attack the first time I saw the price of them online, those and Bruder trucks.  Marshall's usually has them for half price.

Green Toys might be another option if he is interested in general vehicles.  They make some pretty cool things like a bathtub boat that pours water and a recycling truck with little bins and doors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Check Marshall's, if you're buying in person.  I nearly had a heart attack the first time I saw the price of them online, those and Bruder trucks.  Marshall's usually has them for half price.

Green Toys might be another option if he is interested in general vehicles.  They make some pretty cool things like a bathtub boat that pours water and a recycling truck with little bins and doors.

The Green Toys that poured water is one of my favorite gifts for new moms because ours lasted until age 7ish

• Like 1

These were so well-loved in my house for so many years that I’ve actually got a little box of them saved for visitors or later grands. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003U8XYZM/ref=psdcmw_166626011_t2_B07F1HJ1N1

There is also a 6 piece set of super hero ones that are really cute too. We have those as well. Any of the Fisher Price Wheelies are great!

I know this is probably way more than you want to spend (I put the Little People ones above on my wish list for when my baby grandsons get a little older), but I immediately thought of these: https://www.amazon.com/Viking-Vehicles-Boats-Bucket-Set/dp/B0006OHN7I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544839884&sr=8-3&keywords=viking+toy+cars  My son had a bucket of these when he was little and they got lots and lots of play. For a long time.

Thanks everyone. I found a good set of plastic friction cars that his mom thinks he'll like. I just hope he gets it before Christmas. I've got Amazon Prime but I'm not certain it will get to him in two days this close to Christmas. I paid extra to gift wrap them too. I don't know what that will look like but my BIL and SIL won't see them until Finn opens them on Christmas morning, unless they unwrap the gift to check it out beforehand. I debated the gift wrapping and figured why not. They can do with it as they want.

SIL also suggested I get a board book as he spends a lot of time with his books and he's kind of hard on them. He loves being read to but he also likes to read to himself. He'll sit on the sofa with a pile of books and work his way through. A little man after his Aunt Beth's heart! 🙂