Menu

Mosdos Lit- How did you use?

I'm currently using Mosdos Lit- Pearl with dd 6th. We just started it a few weeks ago, so far we are reading the stories and going over questions and some of the workbook activities orally along with filling out story charts from Teaching the Classics to go over the theme and plot. 

The whole program seems like overkill to me but I'm curious how others use it, while I prefer the idea of just reading whole books I do like the idea of using it for discussing literary elements and Figuratively Speaking doesn't seem to get done other than spurts. I've seen it raved about a lot on here and I'm curious how others use it (what components and scheduling)? Since we just started I thought we might aim to finish half this year and the rest next year (assuming we continue to enjoy it) and add in a couple of lit guides.

3 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

The first year I did it I bought the workbooks and we mainly read the stories and did the workbook assignments.  The next year i didn't buy the workbooks and I would assign a couple of questions for each story.  

Thanks for your thoughts! I guess I can see how this year goes and if I end up wanting the workbook, I think likely not but maybe I'll find some of it worthwhile.

• Like 1

When I used it I just ended up using the questions in the textbook not the teachers guide and would use some of the workbook too but mostly because it made it easy to get samples. I only used it regularly half of one year the in spurts the second half. I decided I rather read whole books instead for literature so I switched to BYL the next year instead of getting the next level of MOSDOS.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 2

In 6th (Pearl), we used the workbook along with reading the stories. I didn't  have the teachers manual for Pearl. For 7th, I have the teacher's manual and skipped the workbook. I like the questions at the end of each story as well as in the teacher's manual. We read the story, discuss the literary element, and the questions.  We schedule it 3x a week. Separately, we read novels, mostly historical fiction, so I like the short excerpts in the Mosdos book which allows for exposure to different genres. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

We used Mosdos for 2 or 3 years.

We just used the textbook. Discussed the literary elements when they were intro'd at the beginning of each story. Had DD orally answer/discuss questions at the end of each story. Easy peasy. 🙂

This is what we did also.  From time to time we would do a writing assignment from the end of the chapter. 

• Like 2

Funny, I was just thinking about Mosdos Pearl IF my guy comes home for 6th. You said it's overkill-mind explaining why you think so? I can see that the TM is over the top, but I'm guessing it has valuable nuggets if you just have the time to pick them out.

I can see the value of exposing them to different genres too-that is why it appeals to me over something like MP. MP guides are awesome but a little  of both would be ideal. Now sure how to do that though so I'll be listening in to this conversation.

• 1 month later...

Major overkill to do everything in the workbooks and teachers guide... the stories are great though. I should have listened to everybody when they said you only need the textbook, it’s true! The little intro pages to each story in the textbook are plenty enough. We are focusing on full books in our curriculum right now and not doing Mosdos, just because our time is better spent doing other things right now. That said, the stories in Mosdos have spurred some of the best conversations we’ve ever had. That says something. If our schedule wasn’t so packed I’d consider adding the stories back in. Makes for awesome couch schooling. 🙂

We do the lesson and intro to the reading on Monday, Tuesday she reads the story and does the comp and focus questions orally plus the vocab or first 2 workbook pages. Wednesday she does the 3rd workbook page, Thursday the 4th and Friday the 5th. We repeat with the next lesson the next week. She is doing Opal so it might be set up differently than pearl. We LOVE it and I see what she is learning carrying over into her reading of assigned books as well as her writing. Good stuff.

• 5 months later...

Just purchased Pearl homeschool bundle for 6th grade. Thinking I might need to call the Mosdos staff to ask how a teacher/homeschool mom could work through the content in one year with her child. However, it could be that we slow it down and go through it completely in 2 years instead. Is there anyone out there that really made it through everything in Pearl in 6th grade?

On 6/30/2019 at 4:14 PM, TishDish said:

Just purchased Pearl homeschool bundle for 6th grade. Thinking I might need to call the Mosdos staff to ask how a teacher/homeschool mom could work through the content in one year with her child. However, it could be that we slow it down and go through it completely in 2 years instead. Is there anyone out there that really made it through everything in Pearl in 6th grade?

I plan to take two years because I want to be able to dig into some of the chapter questions or unit projects, and output tends to be slow even if we read through the actual stories pretty quickly.