Menu

Help with Gift for DH

whitestavern

Please help me come up with some out of the ordinary gifts for DH. His big interests/hobbies are hiking, camping, grilling. He likes reading true adventure type stories - I think he's read most every book published about the Appalachian Trail, lol. However, he's the type of guy that will buy anything he wants, so he has a lot of supplies related to his hobbies already. Anyone have anything new or unusual for someone with those interests? Last year someone on the forums posted about the A-MAZE-N smoker, and he loves that, so I'm hoping there are some other great ideas out there. Thanks!!

One of our best hiking related buys recently was a backpacking French press. And the best ever gift I received was a super comfortable self inflating thermarest for car camping.

What about guidebooks to destinations he will visit in the coming year? (That's one of my go-to's for DH)

or a wilderness survival class?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Does he hike in trail runners?  Just recently a new material was released for the soles of trail runners and I think of some hiking shoes as well, that grips harder in snow and ice than previous materials.  That is a recent enough change that he might not have any shoes like that yet.  The material is part of the Vibram line and is called Arctic Grip.  It's used by several companies including Wolverine and Saucony.

I wonder if he would like one of the new Fitbit fitness watches?  The Ionic has built in GPS and tons of coaching, paying, and contact features.  The Versa is swim proof.

Or maybe he'd like to go all crazy and get a satellite phone for emergencies?  Or a satellite beacon at least?  

And in general, if he has already read all about the Appalachian Trail it is time to read about the PCT!  Lots of great books about that, including Wild, Trial by Trail, etc.

• Like 1

• hammock or air swing
  • bear claws for shredding meat
  • himalayan salt block to experiment with while grilling (we didn't like it, but it was a fun experiment)
  • Does he like hot sauces?  If so - maybe a sampling of different brands
  • Thermopen
  • Bluetooth enabled temperature probe
  • A sampling of different woods for his smoker
  • The apparatus to smoke cheese

Is he a gas griller or charcoal griller?  If charcoal, there are some fancy grates you can buy.  

• A branding iron?
  • A personalized wooden cutting board 
Edited by domestic_engineer
more ideas
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, regentrude said:

One of our best hiking related buys recently was a backpacking French press. And the best ever gift I received was a super comfortable self inflating thermarest for car camping.

What about guidebooks to destinations he will visit in the coming year? (That's one of my go-to's for DH)

or a wilderness survival class?

Regentrude, what brand is your French press?

11 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Does he hike in trail runners?  Just recently a new material was released for the soles of trail runners and I think of some hiking shoes as well, that grips harder in snow and ice than previous materials.  That is a recent enough change that he might not have any shoes like that yet.  The material is part of the Vibram line and is called Arctic Grip.  It's used by several companies including Wolverine and Saucony.

I wonder if he would like one of the new Fitbit fitness watches?  The Ionic has built in GPS and tons of coaching, paying, and contact features.  The Versa is swim proof.

Or maybe he'd like to go all crazy and get a satellite phone for emergencies?  Or a satellite beacon at least?  

And in general, if he has already read all about the Appalachian Trail it is time to read about the PCT!  Lots of great books about that, including Wild, Trial by Trail, etc.

I'm going to purchase Trial by Trail - looks great!

11 hours ago, Rachel said:

What kind of camping and hiking does he enjoy? Day hikes with car camping? RV camping? Backpacking? What types of trails does he hike? Local? , all the national parks he can get to? Overseas?

To-date we have mostly done car camping and day hiking. Last year we did our first long weekend on the AT and we'd like to do more of that. We will likely get back to Acadia next summer for camping/hiking. Love the NPs - have visited about 12 of them. Hiked a few countries in Europe two years ago but sadly no plans to go back in the near future. Bucket list is Camino de Santiago.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, domestic_engineer said:
  • hammock or air swing
  • bear claws for shredding meat
  • himalayan salt block to experiment with while grilling (we didn't like it, but it was a fun experiment)
  • Does he like hot sauces?  If so - maybe a sampling of different brands
  • Thermopen
  • Bluetooth enabled temperature probe
  • A sampling of different woods for his smoker
  • The apparatus to smoke cheese

Is he a gas griller or charcoal griller?  If charcoal, there are some fancy grates you can buy.  

• A branding iron?
  • A personalized wooden cutting board 

Any recommendations for specific brand on the bear claws? Or doesn't it matter? Those are pretty cool. He has most everything else on the list!

First, apologies in advance for typos etc...I can only sign in on iPad and HAaTE typing on this thing.

the best gift I ever bought for hubby was a beer making kit over a decade ago.  He has since moved onto huge oak kegs, barrels, etc. is in a local brewing club, with monthly meetings and periodic appearances handling out free home brew samples at area fests. He brews different kinds of beer and mead.  All legal, since he does not sell it or go over whatever the monthly limit is.   Guys seem to enjoy home brewing.  And accessories make more gifts for birthdays and holidays 😄

Edited by JFSinIL2.0

If you have a local outdoors store or bookstore I would suggest a local trail guide book written by a local. The “60 hikes near...” books are ok for learning about new trails but the books written by people who live in and hike the area regularly have a lot more insight. 

The National Park scratch off maps are a neat idea, I don’t have a specific recommendation.

If he is wanting to start some backpacking, some lightweight gear would be great: sleeping bag, sleeping pad, stove, new pack, water filter. You could spend as little or as much as you want. 

If he hikes in trail runners, Dirty Girl gaiters are a popular and fun accessory. 

If you could find a raised relief map of an area you like to hike or camp, it could be a fun decoration for his office. Here’s one for the Smokey’s: https://www.amazon.com/American-Educational-Products-Raised-National/dp/B001A47VQQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1543505609&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=raised+relief+map&dpPl=1&dpID=41oXJqURC0L&ref=plSrch