Menu

Gardeners...gift help?

TXBeth

DD9 is very interested in plants and desperately wants a garden of her own to grow veggies and such. Several of my prep bowls are sitting in our window sill to hold her plants. She is growing an onion (from a bit she rescued that had sprouted), a basil plant we got from the grocery store, a couple random weeds she transplanted from the yard, and now am amarillys we just got her from Aldi.

I am decidedly NOT a gardener. I regularly buy basil plants and never keep them alive past the first time we harvest some. Flowers die no matter how much I try to follow the instructions.

Anyway, all that to say we would like to give DD9 a Christmas gift of whatever supplies she needs to start a container garden or square foot garden or something in the backyard. Maybe to start in the spring, or maybe she could plant some kind of winter flowers and then trade out for veggies in the spring?

Any ideas? Suggestions? Should we get little boxes or build a wooden frame of some sort? What kind of plants do you reccomend for a beginner? Tools? fertilizer or special soil?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I forgot you asked for plant suggestions.  For a kid, something that grows fast would probably be fun. I grow things that give me a lot of bang for my buck- tomatoes and peppers, that cost a lot at the grocery store. But I also grow some green beans because they grow quickly and it’s so much fun to harvest beans every day for a while. Cherry tomatoes like Sweet 100 are like that, too...you can pick tomatoes every day for a couple of months.   So for a kid, things like green beans, carrots, cherry tomatoes, are easy.  Herbs like basil are easy.   If she prefers flowers, pretty annuals are good for kids. 

The patio pickers boxes I use are prepped in the spring and then you don’t add fertilizer after that- you put lime and fertilizer in once and then you’re done. It’s super easy.  It also uses potting mix. 

For a backyard garden, I think a good place to start is buying 3 8’ cedar boards that are either 8” or 12” high and then cutting one in half to form a 4x8 box. If your soil isn’t very good, then buy garden soil which is different from potting soil. If you want to spend less then you can make the box 4x4. Then you just need to add some compost every year and it will last until she leaves home.

A trowel and a watering wand with different settings would be helpful. I don’t know your zone, but we are in zone 6 and my kids loved planting radishes since it was an early and easy payoff in the spring when they were motivated. Their attempts to sell all their radishes at a neighborhood stand didn’t go so well, though. Peas are easy and early, too. Lettuce is easy, but we had snail problems and it grossed me out to try and clean slime trails off the lettuce, so we quit growing it. Herbs are easy. Tomatoes are, but heirlooms can be more fickle with lower yields too. She’ll have opinions, I’m sure, so she should plant what she wants. A local gardening store will be helpful but a bit more expensive. A big box store will be cheaper, but you need to know what you are after because they sometimes carry things inappropriate for your area.

In the spring you should build her a little 3x3 box and let her plan what to put in each of the 9 squares. As long as she has a few easy things, and puts the tall stuff in the back it’s fine to experiment. Not everything will be a success, so there’s built-in suspense.  You can make an easy trellis by driving those green fence posts in the ground and attaching a cattle panel tonit with zip ties. Instant gratification and very sturdy. 

For the holidays, I’d get her a small tool set; maybe in a belt.  A little spade, fork, and scissors or pruners in it along with gloves. For something she can grow in the winter, get some greens (kale, spinach, lettuce . . . Get a mixture to optimize success). All she needs is a bag of soil with drainage holes punched in the side. Flip the drainage holes to the ground and cut a flap off the top side so she can use the dirt, but the bag holds its shape. Then she just needs a clear bin on top so her stuff doesn’t freeze and she can grow things outside. 

In a few months, she can start indoor seeds for things that will go into her 3x3 garden. Maybe tomatoes, peppers, and celery? You can include these in her Christmas package. The packets will tell her what to do. She just needs to know your fast frost date and agricultural zone. That’s easily found online by typing your zip code. With those facts she’ll be able to do “seed math” to learn when to start all the seeds. 

This book looks promising for the young homeschooled gardener:  https://www.amazon.com/Square-Foot-Gardening-Kids-Self-sufficiency/dp/1591865948

If you’re not interested in building a box with wood and tools, there’s a faster way. Make a box with cindeblocks, dump in bagged garden soil, and you’re ready to plant in minutes. Then you can plant in the holes too!

52785563-F622-4D76-82F0-B4C185A173C0.jpeg

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

If it were me, I'd give:
- tool kit (minimum of trowel, gardening fork, pruning shears in a tote or bucket)
- watering can
- book on gardening
- seed packets
- "coupon" for going to Lowes / Home Depot / plant nursery in the spring to get:
   * a few seedlings of her choice
   * bags of gardening soil
   * and either a gardening square or container, or blocks (like Kung Fu Panda's photos above)

For your general information about gardening or starting a garden, and some ideas:

For beginning gardening a plot outside, you'll need:
- a shovel to dig up/turn soil (hopefully your family already has one, as that's not a very exciting gift)
- hand trowel
- pruning shears
- watering can
- garden square or container (most successful way to start, as it reduces weeds and you fill with good, loose soil)
- bags of compost / gardening soil (to fill the garden square)
- possibly a tomato cage or trellis (if growing vining plants, for support)

Very nice to have:
- a tote or bucket or garden tool box with carry handle for the tools (I've seen aprons with pockets for the tools, and while they're super cute, they are NOT easy to work in)
- a pad for kneeling or sitting on (they have folding stools, but kids don't tend to need those, and a pad is more versatile)
- put her name in for receiving a free seed company catalog in the mail -- Johnny's is a good one

TOOLS
Tote & Tool Set ($31) -- this has all the tools for starting off (except a shovel) -- trowels, gardening forks, pruning shears -- + pad for kneeling or sitting -- and the shape and quality of the tools looks sturdy and durable; go for a solid adult set that will last her and skip the cheap plastic kid gardening sets

BOOKS
Square Foot Gardening With Kids (Bartholomew)
Gardening Lab for Kids (Brown)
300 Step-by-Step Cooking & Gardening Projects for Kids (McDougal) -- this is very nice as it also includes recipes for cooking what you grow

PLANT SUGGESTIONS

seed packets
for seeds, plant just the few you need, then fold the open packet end over several times, seal in a small ziplock bag, seal all of those in a gallon-size ziplock bag, and store in a dry spot in the back of the refrigerator; this keeps the seeds viable for several years for use as needed
- sunflowers -- SO fun! get a variety that gets tall AND then have fun drying and eating the seeds! (see this short article for varieties
- marigolds -- fast growers, long blooming season, and marigolds help repel aphids
- nasturtium -- plant in a pot near your garden; get a variety with edible flowers and put in a salad; they have a tangy peppery taste
- radishes -- fast growers -- seed to harvest in just 4-5 weeks
- snow peas -- fast growers, and can eat them pod and all; great in salads or straight out of the garden
- pumpkins -- fun, but they take over the yard with vines, just as a heads-up, and they may or may not produce for you after a long growing season

seedlings in the spring from Home Depot or plant nursery
- cherry tomatoes -- yellow pear cherry tomato variety works well in our area and is something fun/different
- greens: spinach, romaine, red leaf lettuce -- snip a few leaves for a salad every few days, and let the plants keep growing until the heat comes
- herbs -- mint, rosemary, chives, sage, oregano, thyme -- these all work well in the cheap clay pots, and keep going year-round, plus you can snip and dry them

potentially tricky plants
- corn -- you need to plant at least a 4'x4' square of it to get good cross-pollination, and depending on where you live, you may end up finding ear worms have eaten a lot of the kernels (and are a living squirmy surprise when you harvest and shuck the corn for 
- zucchini -- this can be incredibly prolific and overrun your garden plot with huge growth; it can either overwhelm you with zucchinis, or they can all wither when they get about as long and thick as your finger

ETA:
I just noticed your board name indicates that you may be in TX. If that is the case, you may need to adjust when you plant to fit better with your climate. (My growing season for some things has to be shifted by 6 months for many things due to the climate in my area.) Check out this TX Vegetable Growing Calendar.

And if you are in zone 8-9, where it is hot for a long time, you may be able to grow things like chile peppers, but struggle to grow regular-sized tomatoes. Getting DD connected with a local gardening group will help her find out what plants -- and what *varieties* of plants -- work well in your area, and they can pass on tips about how to deal with climate, insect pests, animals that want to munch your garden, etc.

ETA #2:
And finally, if going for a garden square or the concrete blocks, you really need to dig down about a foot where you will have the garden to remove lawn, weeds, etc, and to turn and loosen the remaining soil.

When I did the concrete block method last year in my yard, I actually dug down about 18 inches, cleared out all the soil, and stacked 2 layers of blocks, so the bottom layer was about 1/2 to 2/3 below the ground level. Then I mixed some of the original soil back in with multiple bags of purchased compost and gardening soil to ensure a good deep bed for the plant roots, and to reduce weed invasion. Yes, that is a lot of work, BUT having a good foundation is crucial to having a successful garden.

If that's too much work or won't fit in your yard, then get the big (at least 22" diameter) garden barrels, or patio containers like Annie G. uses above, and go with container gardening.

Edited by Lori D.

If I were just dabbling and wanted to grow veggies with a kind of try it out option, I'd get an earthbox  and a big bag of potting mix.

I love this seed company and they have gift boxes for container gardens, but with an earthbox you're limited by space of course. Anyway, I'd gift a book about my gardening zone with the earthbox and let your DD pick out what she wants to grow in it and order or go to wal-mart and buy some seeds.

Part of the way I've really learned about growing veggies is just trial and error. If I have a problem with my plants (pests, etc.) I have to research it and figure out how to fix it. Sometimes I try to grow something and it doesn't work out, but I can fix it the next season. That is part of gardening, IMO. Also, you could check your local library or community center or look up master gardeners in your area to see if there are classes.

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

If it were me, I'd give:
- tool kit (minimum of trowel, gardening fork, pruning shears in a tote or bucket)
- watering can
- book on gardening
- seed packets
- "coupon" for going to Lowes / Home Depot / plant nursery in the spring to get:
   * a few seedlings of her choice
   * bags of gardening soil
   * and either a gardening square or container, or blocks (like Kung Fu Panda's photos above)

For your general information about gardening or starting a garden, and some ideas:

For beginning gardening a plot outside, you'll need:
- a shovel to dig up/turn soil (hopefully your family already has one, as that's not a very exciting gift)
- hand trowel
- pruning shears
- watering can
- garden square or container (most successful way to start, as it reduces weeds and you fill with good, loose soil)
- bags of compost / gardening soil (to fill the garden square)
- possibly a tomato cage or trellis (if growing vining plants, for support)

Very nice to have:
- a tote or bucket or garden tool box with carry handle for the tools (I've seen aprons with pockets for the tools, and while they're super cute, they are NOT easy to work in)
- a pad for kneeling or sitting on (they have folding stools, but kids don't tend to need those, and a pad is more versatile)
- put her name in for receiving a free seed company catalog in the mail -- Johnny's is a good one

TOOLS
Tote & Tool Set ($31) -- this has all the tools for starting off (except a shovel) -- trowels, gardening forks, pruning shears -- + pad for kneeling or sitting -- and the shape and quality of the tools looks sturdy and durable; go for a solid adult set that will last her and skip the cheap plastic kid gardening sets

BOOKS
Square Foot Gardening With Kids (Bartholomew)
Gardening Lab for Kids (Brown)
300 Step-by-Step Cooking & Gardening Projects for Kids (McDougal) -- this is very nice as it also includes recipes for cooking what you grow

PLANT SUGGESTIONS

seed packets
for seeds, plant just the few you need, then fold the open packet end over several times, seal in a small ziplock bag, seal all of those in a gallon-size ziplock bag, and store in a dry spot in the back of the refrigerator; this keeps the seeds viable for several years for use as needed
- sunflowers -- SO fun! get a variety that gets tall AND then have fun drying and eating the seeds! (see this short article for varieties
- marigolds -- fast growers, long blooming season, and marigolds help repel aphids
- nasturtium -- plant in a pot near your garden; get a variety with edible flowers and put in a salad; they have a tangy peppery taste
- radishes -- fast growers -- seed to harvest in just 4-5 weeks
- snow peas -- fast growers, and can eat them pod and all; great in salads or straight out of the garden
- pumpkins -- fun, but they take over the yard with vines, just as a heads-up, and they may or may not produce for you after a long growing season

seedlings in the spring from Home Depot or plant nursery
- cherry tomatoes -- yellow pear cherry tomato variety works well in our area and is something fun/different
- greens: spinach, romaine, red leaf lettuce -- snip a few leaves for a salad every few days, and let the plants keep growing until the heat comes
- herbs -- mint, rosemary, chives, sage, oregano, thyme -- these all work well in the cheap clay pots, and keep going year-round, plus you can snip and dry them

potentially tricky plants
- corn -- you need to plant at least a 4'x4' square of it to get good cross-pollination, and depending on where you live, you may end up finding ear worms have eaten a lot of the kernels (and are a living squirmy surprise when you harvest and shuck the corn for 
- zucchini -- this can be incredibly prolific and overrun your garden plot with huge growth; it can either overwhelm you with zucchinis, or they can all wither when they get about as long and thick as your finger

ETA:
I just noticed your board name indicates that you may be in TX. If that is the case, you may need to adjust when you plant to fit better with your climate. (My growing season for some things has to be shifted by 6 months for many things due to the climate in my area.) Check out this TX Vegetable Growing Calendar.

And if you are in zone 8-9, where it is hot for a long time, you may be able to grow things like chile peppers, but struggle to grow regular-sized tomatoes. Getting DD connected with a local gardening group will help her find out what plants -- and what *varieties* of plants -- work well in your area, and they can pass on tips about how to deal with climate, insect pests, animals that want to munch your garden, etc.

ETA #2:
And finally, if going for a garden square or the concrete blocks, you really need to dig down about a foot where you will have the garden to remove lawn, weeds, etc, and to turn and loosen the remaining soil.

When I did the concrete block method last year in my yard, I actually dug down about 18 inches, cleared out all the soil, and stacked 2 layers of blocks, so the bottom layer was about 1/2 to 2/3 below the ground level. Then I mixed some of the original soil back in with multiple bags of purchased compost and gardening soil to ensure a good deep bed for the plant roots, and to reduce weed invasion. Yes, that is a lot of work, BUT having a good foundation is crucial to having a successful garden.

If that's too much work or won't fit in your yard, then get the big (at least 22" diameter) garden barrels, or patio containers like Annie G. uses above, and go with container gardening.

oh my goodness, thank you so much for taking the time to craft this response. Yes we are in the DFW area, which I just found out is zone 8a. This all gives me a great starting point to figure out how to get her started!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TXBeth said:

fertilizer or special soil?

I mix the original soil with equal amount of bag gardening soil from Home Depot. I prefer to NOT get ones that have the chemical fertilizer already mixed in, and instead, use fish emulsion about once every 2 months. (Fish emulsion is VERY concentrated, sludgy fish poop, and MUST be heavily diluted for use! About 1/4 cup to 1 gallon of water. It is a great natural fertilizer.) Also good (but definitely more effort) is to start a compost pile, and about twice a year, mix some well-aged compost into your garden soil. Or consider worm composting, and adding their compost to your garden. Compost is a wonderful, gentle, natural nutrient restorer for the soil.

Also, since you're in a warmer climate, consider using something as a mulch covering over the soil of the garden, with just the plants poking up out of it. Mulch is a layer of crunched up dry leaves or pine needles (I snip up the branches of our Christmas tree at the end of each holiday!) that cover the soil to help keep moisture in so plants don't dry out so fast. The dry matter also starts to decompose over time, adding nutrients to your garden. If you don't have leaves or pine needles, try getting a half bale of straw from a feed store and use that as needed.

ETA -- PS
So that she has something she can do right away, you might include a smaller bag of potting soil and several  smaller pots (may 2 of these, along with a saucer under each to catch water, if starting off in the house) along with seed packets so she can plant something over the Christmas holiday. The marigolds and nasturtium would do well in pots, as would seedlings of herbs like mint and thyme.

Edited by Lori D.

I’d give her a 4’x4’ raised bed kit. 

https://www.amazon.com/Greenes-Fence-Raised-Garden-Cedar-x/dp/B006VK80AU/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1543094992&sr=8-12&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=4x4+raised+bed+kit

ETA: since you are in TX, she can probably start some spinach and kale to set outside right away. You might want to make a protective cover for them, which is easily done with a few hula hoops cut and placed to form a tunnel and plastic drop cloth stretched over it all and secured with big binder clips. I disagree that you have to dig down when starting a new raised bed, that’s the beauty of it! You cover the lawn with a thick layer of cardboard and fill the bed with purchased soil, the weeds/lawn are smothered before the cardboard rots. As long as you set your plants closely, you’ll not have much weed trouble at all. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter

In the library for you, I would look for a book of gardening in Texas or for a more local gardening book. Another good one for western areas is the Sunset guide. A lot of gardening books assume we all live in the east or near midwest and are written with that in mind. Check out the heat zone too because I bet you are in one of the highest zones there and that makes a huge difference in what to grow and when. Other issues that western areas often have is different ground composition and differing amounts of rainfall in comparison to where the mass market books are marketed to. Also, when the rain falls is also important.

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

In the library for you, I would look for a book of gardening in Texas or for a more local gardening book. Another good one for western areas is the Sunset guide. A lot of gardening books assume we all live in the east or near midwest and are written with that in mind. Check out the heat zone too because I bet you are in one of the highest zones there and that makes a huge difference in what to grow and when. Other issues that western areas often have is different ground composition and differing amounts of rainfall in comparison to where the mass market books are marketed to. Also, when the rain falls is also important.

I felt like all the gardening books were written with England or California in mind. 

• Like 1