Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW47: 52 Books Bingo - Philosophical and Self Help

Robin M

Gobble, Gobble. Happy Thanksgiving, my lovelies!  What are you thankful for so far this year.  This is a great time to let you know I'm thankful for all my BAW sisters who love to celebrate books and reading with me. What books are you most thankful for so far 2018 and what are you looking forward to reading in 2019.   

My guys went shopping at B&N for my birthday.  Great birthday haul. Hubby loves buying me chunky books.  At least he's interested in reading Atlas Shrugged as well. Big book project for next year. It will take me a while.

bn birthday haul 2018.jpg

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6

Middle Girl and I ran our city's "Turkey Trot" 5 mile run this morning. The goal isn't so much to race as to be festive: there were people dressed as turkeys and slices of pie and sexy pilgrims. Many of their dogs were dressed, too. A couple of Good Ol' Boy Texans near us, forty-ish and built like oak doors, in tutus. I wore my tackiest holiday leggings. Then we came home and ate four times as many calories as we ran off. Now we digest.

I am loving digesting with Melville: anybody who enjoyes the Master and Commander series should try Redburn. Melville's prose is so hypnotic. And it helps if you already know a stun' sail from a belaying pin.

Edit: Robin's query: I am thankful my mother-in-law was at the table and not in the hospital today! We all fed her pecan pie and teased her.t

Edit 2: Oh, books. I'm thankful for the Brit Trip books that have made me dust off at last some English literature I'd been meaning to read or re-read but wasn't getting around to. I'm looking forward next year to some French literature (romantic, naturalist, decadent, avant-garde) I haven't gotten to.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 5

I am thankful to have books, and a great library, and to be able to share books with my family. I love the instant quiet in my car or in the house when we come back from the library. Just the sound of pages turning. 

Reading The Abolition of Man tonight, not straight up philosophy, but philosophy of education. 

@Violet Crown, I do love the Patrick O Brien novels and do know a stun'sl from a belaying pin, so I will find the Melville book! I went through several sailing book phases growing up: Swallows and Amazons, F. Van Wyk Mason and Kenneth Roberts, then Horatio Hornblower.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 6

@tuesdayschild  The comment that I found most interesting post meal is he can’t trust that what he takes will be a sweet item.  Many are savory and include meat filled items in a yummy looking pastry.  He is not American and I think has only had my pretty traditional Turkey day fare which is the British equivalent of a roast dinner, with yeast rolls substituted for Yorkshire’s.  He had been looking forward to a roast dinner and got food he couldn’t identify.  I am almost positive he dislikes pumpkin pie so was probably thrilled to see those pastries until he got one filled with mystery meat.  🤣

Great book selection from your guys Robin.  I didn’t know you liked Lee Childs.  That is one of my series to read in 2019.

What books am I thankful for.............well obviously the fact that I find many great reads because of this group.  Since I joined my reading choices have expanded hugely and I enjoy my friends here, hugely.  You all have become very important to me.  During the past year I have loved Brit Tripping,  both the planning and the participating,  so thank you to Robin for hosting Amy and Sandy’s Brit Tripping adventures.  I am also grateful it worked....Amy and I tried so hard to make something that could be done no matter your reading tastes and it makes me so happy to have VC using more classical works while others are reading cozy mysteries and historical romances!  You guys using it to read really diverse lit makes it really worthwhile!

Looking forward to.........Planning to finish or at least read more of several series I have stumbled into this year.  I also plan to give some in new settings for mysteries a try, I have a list.  Honestly planning to dive a bit more enthusiastically into some of Robin’s challenges,  sort of shake things up a bit.  In 2017 I discovered Scandinavian Mysteries,  2018 I learned to be a bit of a Sci Fi fan girl, and in 2019..........yet to be determined......😉

• Like 5

@mumto2 A case of false expectations 😋  (Typing this in small print..... I've never made pumpkin pie, and always wonder what it tastes like)

The talk of turkeys .... my ds decide to raise some as a science/breeding experiment.  In our region, pet turkey's are not the norm and as the rafter grew, the gobbling got so bad we had to rehome them: we currently live in suburbia and very noisy birds as pets are banned.  We've also raised chickens from eggs and it's amazing how many of those shells harboured roosters 🙃

Robin, your new book collection looks lovely   

Love reading the things that you have each mentioned you are thankful for!!   I've been so thankful for this group, and the Brit Trip challenge, this year;  you've all contributed to being a much-needed diversion, and, to help me see I "need" to use my goodreads to host my rapidly expanding to-be-read list. (Makes a list keeping heart happy!)  2019 may be a catchup with the books I haven't got to this year, or not....  shiny new reads are so tempting 😍

• Like 5

@tuesdayschild Regarding the fine print😉 I am assuming canned pumpkin is hard to get in your part of the world.  When we first moved to England I could only buy it for about a month in the fall from the one grocery chain store that is not in my area.  I worked hard to get a supply!  It’s a bit more common now.  I used to grow my own pumpkins and the results in pies can be a be uneven, hard to get the purée thick enough...... People do used sweet potatoes and squash  in order to make similar pies.  I like the sweet potatoe version https://www.eaglebrand.com/recipe-detail/eaglebrandsweetpotatopie-3932 and consider it to be similar if you get the urge to try making one.

I just finished the second book in KL so on to The Cross.  I am so happy to be back to reading it on my Kindle.  I have also been listening to my very cozy mysteries by Diane Valerie with the Doris Day connection while I sew.  The first one ended with a cliff hanger and I rolled into the second one.  Entertained but I can’t wait to finish this one and set the series aside for a few months!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Happy Thanksgiving! 

I'm thankful for all you wonderful ladies in this book group! I look forward to this thread every week and very much enjoy hearing what everyone has been reading. I've been exposed to so many terrific books because of y'all and it has helped me keep my self together during a rather discouraging past few years. Thank you 😊

VioletCrown, I'm a Master & Commander fan and will look for Redburn - thanks!

Robin, so glad you had a bookish birthday!

• Like 5

Thanksgiving part one which took place yesterday and involved niece, nephews, ex-sister-in-law, and others was a lot of fun.  Thanksgiving, the reprise, when we have a two friends over for dinner and games will take place tonight.

I've finished two more books in David Weber's Honor Harrington series over the past few days.

Flag in Exile (Honor Harrington Book 5)

and

Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington Book 6)

The first of the above I found slightly ho hum; however, the second proved to be quite a good read.  You'll definitely want to read this series in order; start with the currently free On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington Book 1).

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 4

20 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Great book selection from your guys Robin.  I didn’t know you liked Lee Childs.  That is one of my series to read in 2019.

I saw and heard Lee Child speak back in 2010 at Bouchercon and really liked him, so I read 61 Hours which blew me away, as well as Worth Dying For.   Have been reading his books every since, totally out of order though.  Same with John Sandford's Prey Series. Funny, I have to read paranormal and urban fantasy in series order, but the detective series, I'm more random.    Hey, did you see that SWB just posted their farm shop is having a yarn sale on Etsy?  

Brainstorming for 2019:  Possible ideas for 2019 spelling challenge -- fictional detectives, fictional streets, fictional worlds or universes?   Think going around the world will be more random this year and and instead of having specific trails, go with monthly genres themes so armchair travels can be where ever takes us.   Ideas for Bingo?  Random bits floating through me head are categories such as Ice bound, Seaworthy,  Out of this World, Historical, Bildungsroman,  light, dark, sacred, real. Things like that.  If you have any suggestions or genres or topics you want to explore more in the coming year, let me know. 

I know we're all pretty much still stuff from eating so much food yesterday but couldn't resist posting this since we have a few who love Brandon Sanderson - Cosmere Cuisine Meals inspired Mistborn Series

This is neat - A Velocity of Being: Illustrated Letters to Children about Why We Read by 121 of the Most Inspiring Humans in Our World

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Robin M said:

I saw and heard Lee Child speak back in 2010 at Bouchercon and really liked him, so I read 61 Hours which blew me away, as well as Worth Dying For.   Have been reading his books every since, totally out of order though.  Same with John Sandford's Prey Series. Funny, I have to read paranormal and urban fantasy in series order, but the detective series, I'm more random.    Hey, did you see that SWB just posted their farm shop is having a yarn sale on Etsy?  

Brainstorming for 2019:  Possible ideas for 2019 spelling challenge -- fictional detectives, fictional streets, fictional worlds or universes?   Think going around the world will be more random this year and and instead of having specific trails, go with monthly genres themes so armchair travels can be where ever takes us.   Ideas for Bingo?  Random bits floating through me head are categories such as Ice bound, Seaworthy,  Out of this World, Historical, Bildungsroman,  light, dark, sacred, real. Things like that.  If you have any suggestions or genres or topics you want to explore more in the coming year, let me know. 

I know we're all pretty much still stuff from eating so much food yesterday but couldn't resist posting this since we have a few who love Brandon Sanderson - Cosmere Cuisine Meals inspired Mistborn Series

This is neat - A Velocity of Being: Illustrated Letters to Children about Why We Read by 121 of the Most Inspiring Humans in Our World

Not that this will surprise you but I have been reading Lee Child in order!  😂 The Peace Hill shop is so neat and the wool is lovely.  I had no idea she had a farm shop.

In case anyone else is wondering what Bildungsroman is https://literarydevices.net/bildungsroman/.  I can do that, now that I know what it is!  The creative, less specific, Bingo topics sound fun to me,  please note I have totally enjoyed the detective extension to the bingo card which were a bit on the creative side.   I am pretty sure I have finished the whole card as soon as I finish the Monopolists book.....microhistory.  I have learned a whole lot about board games,  I never imagined there was so much history behind Monopoly.

Spelling,  I just enjoy the spelling challenge.  So any of your ideas are great for me......Detectives might be fun,  maybe a bonus challenge if you read a book with the detective of that month.......I might be the only one who would enjoy that.  🙃  I am not feeling overly creative at the moment but I will let you know if I think of any new ideas.

• Like 4

Howdy!  Popping in for a quick update.

I finished reading The Drama Years - it was actually not so good IMO, but someone recommended it so I read it.  I might even re-read it just to keep in mind what tween girls are thinking about.  Though, I am blessed (?) to remember my own tween years, so I kind of know ....

I just started The Mahabharata as told by John D. Smith.  It is a pretty thick book and I am just a few pages into the introduction so far.  The intro says that many parts of India believe it is bad luck to read this story, so wish me luck ....

Our audiobooks - we finished Kidnapped, which I enjoyed and my kids followed (not well enough to test on it though).  We are now well into Pride and Prejudice, which they are enjoying.  (I read the book a number of times during high school / college.)  I plan for them to see the movie after we finish the book.

Our read-aloud is still Evil Spy School, which we may finish in the next week or two.

• Like 3