Menu

Can't use 40% on toys at Kohl's? WHAT?

Meadowlark

2 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

The theory is with Toys R Us out of business they don't need to accept coupons to be competitive

I wonder if that will hold water.  Because I sure know I won't buy toys from them anymore.  I've priced it out and even if you still get kohls cash purchasing toys many times it is still more than walmart, targret, and amazon.

I think they were just losing too much money on people who only buy toys there using the coupon stacking and then using the kohls cash to the exact value.  Every Christmas I have been able to find amazing deals there on toys compared to other places, but that is with stacking coupons and getting kohls cash.  When I spend the kohls cash I NEVER spend more than what I have in Kohls cash.  Kohls is simply across the bar overpriced.  If you use the kohls cash on things but end up still spending money out of your own pocket you are negating the savings from the previous transaction.  Kohls has always done really well with this form of marketing.  But as competition from Target, Walmart, and Amazon gets stiffer more and more people are only shopping Kohls for the best of the best deals.  The store itself is simply too chaotic and crowded to make it an enjoyable experience and playing the have I reached enough for free shipping game gets old fast.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I wonder if that will hold water.  Because I sure know I won't buy toys from them anymore.  I've priced it out and even if you still get kohls cash purchasing toys many times it is still more than walmart, targret, and amazon.

And the wait for a cashier is long. I find that Amazon which delivers to my door, or Target is better. The nearest Target for us staffs their store quite well so even when insanely busy, the waits are not that long to check out. On the other hand, I have had to wait 30 minutes to check out in the kohls when it is only moderately busy. They are constantly under staffed. I tend to put my money where customer service is better. I used to like Kohls a lot, but we've had a bit of a break-up in the last couple of years.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

And the wait for a cashier is long. I find that Amazon which delivers to my door, or Target is better. The nearest Target for us staffs their store quite well so even when insanely busy, the waits are not that long to check out. On the other hand, I have had to wait 30 minutes to check out in the kohls when it is only moderately busy. They are constantly under staffed. I tend to put my money where customer service is better. I used to like Kohls a lot, but we've had a bit of a break-up in the last couple of years.

Ugh! The wait!  I actually have to go pick something up from Kohls by Saturday and I'm not looking forward to it.  I very rarely buy stuff from them but there are times that the stacking of coupons and kohls cash makes it worth it to me.  I was able to get my mil a beautiful pearl necklace for under $40 after I used stacked coupons.  That doesn't even count the $15 in kohls cash I got.  It was a great way for me to be able to get her a gift she'd love at a price I can afford.

And I don't use Kohls cash anymore because the rare times I earn some, the cash isn't good right away, and the amount of time given for spending it is usually like a five day period the following week. Kohls is 45 minutes from my house so a 90 minute round trip and $11.00 in gas. It isn't worth the effort. I get they are catering to people who live close by, but it's really annoying. I have used kohls online occasionally.

Really, I am just getting to where I do not enjoy being in stores and "shopping" in the typical fashion. So I know that affects my attitude about Kohls. That said, I've had pretty good experiences with Macys. But I can only do that when the discounts are significant. So, ya....I think I've become a lazy shopper who just wants things delivered to my door. It would be easier if we lived closer to a shopping district so my waste of time called shopping did not involve a long commute with traffic.

16 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

And I don't use Kohls cash anymore because the rare times I earn some, the cash isn't good right away, and the amount of time given for spending it is usually like a five day period the following week. Kohls is 45 minutes from my house so a 90 minute round trip and $11.00 in gas. It isn't worth the effort. I get they are catering to people who live close by, but it's really annoying. I have used kohls online occasionally.

Really, I am just getting to where I do not enjoy being in stores and "shopping" in the typical fashion. So I know that affects my attitude about Kohls. That said, I've had pretty good experiences with Macys. But I can only do that when the discounts are significant. So, ya....I think I've become a lazy shopper who just wants things delivered to my door. It would be easier if we lived closer to a shopping district so my waste of time called shopping did not involve a long commute with traffic.

Yeah, under your circumstances I would use Kohls cash either.  I have two Kohls each within 10 miles of me and one is a mile from my mil's house, which we are at every Sunday.  So, for me it pays off on occasion.  This time of year is the only time I shop at Kohls and it is almost exclusively online unless I pick the pick up in store option, which I did because they offered me an additional $5 in kohls cash to do so.

I really hate shopping in store in general.  Online is the way to go in my opinion

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Same. I’ve quit shopping there, it’s easier to just go online.

I extremely rarely shop at Kohl's since I ordered on Black Friday, stacked a couple of coupons, and tried to return the broken Fiesta Ware (due to insufficient packing - they just tossed it in a plastic bag and mailed it - needless to say, it was in pieces!), and they did not want to return the entire sum I paid for it because I stacked discounts. I'm sorry? What? I fussed so they gave me all my money back and like a $10 credit to make me feel better and keep me shopping at their store.

Their prices have always seemed high to me - and their quality of clothes doesn't seem worth the price they are asking. Add to that their planning intensive shopping - sales, coupons, offers, stacking, Kohl's cash, etc - it has never seemed worth it to me.

My youngest dd came to me one morning and told me that she was going to tell me something she knew I never wanted to hear. I had ALL sorts of things running through my head (all bad), and she said, "I want to go to Kohl's". That was bad, but it wasn't half as bad as I feared! She wanted a pair of silver stud earrings - and we hadn't been able to find any locally except at jewelry stores ($$$$), so she thought they might have some. They did not. I found them online for a reasonable price.