Menu

How to discourage toddler screeching?

Katy

Please don't quote, I will probably delete this later. None of my normal tricks are working, I need some suggestions. After our toddler spent some time with a cousin on the spectrum who screeches instead of talking, he stopped being verbal and started screeching too. This child is adopted and was drug-exposed in utero, so it's highly possible he's not entirely neuro-typical himself, though until this verbal regression to screeching he's never other signs. The problem is it is an ear-shattering sort of screech, and all the shushing and whispering to him in the world just makes him more shrill. With the weather change DH is fighting migraines and I'm worried the screeching is going to negatively impact their bond. Please give me any tips you have.

Ask yourself, what function does the screeching serve? Does he get attention? Get out of an activity he doesn't like? Get handed a toy to quiet him down? You need to know the function to replace the behavior.

Then, replace the screeching with an equivalent response (which depends on his communication ability prior to all of the screeching. Does he still say any words?). If he screeches for attention, prompt him, "Say Mom" or " Say Dad" and wait until he says that word until paying him substantial attention. If he screeches to get an iPad, prompt him to say, "I want iPad" and don't give him the iPad until he says that. The screeching will increase a bit while he checks to see if it will work to get him what he wants if he screeches louder or longer, then it will decrease if you continue to not let it work.  Good luck!

• Like 2

Everything NW mom said, but also watch your reaction to it.  If it’s not as neutral and ignoring as possible, then you may create a desire in your kid to see that reaction ?

i also found that shushing never works, and dropping my voice to just above whispering works better than whispering.  Good luck and I hope that this passes soon!!

• Like 1

At that age, try to avoid any communication that means "don't ___" and find a way to say "do ___" for the same result.

Examples, don't say "shh" but try "keep your voice low" or "talk like a big boy."

My granny used to say "listen."  It would shut the kid up at least temporarily.

22 hours ago, maize said:

You might try proprioceptive input--pick him up and twirl him around, swing him back and forth, etc. It seems to have a calming/regulating effect on many kids.

22 hours ago, maize said:

Also instead of whispering see what happens if you talk to him in a deep voice.

The spinning and the deep voice really did help.  The screeching isn't gone but is reduced 90%. Thank you!. 

I don't think he's quite old enough to insist on him using words (barely 15 months, was premature).  I think the main reason for the screeching is 1) he's uncomfortable for some reason - needs a diaper change or just not feeling good (he's had a cold recently and had 15 month vaccines Friday, so over the weekend it generally wasn't a diaper change thing), and 2) he can imitate his cousin so perfectly that it's fun and easier than words. Since this is the child closest to his own age that he sees most often I wonder if he thinks he is supposed to screech.

• Like 3