Menu

Daily Goal and Inspiration

Nemom

From Scrivener:

• To compile with scrambled text for uploading to the NaNo servers:
    • Go to File > Compile…
    • Select “Plain Text (.txt)” next to “Compile for”.
    • Select “NaNoWriMo (Obfuscated)” from the list of formats on the left. (Note that this format is only available when plain text is selected next to “Compile for”.)
    • Click on “Compile”.
    • Make sure that “Append ‘.txt’ extension” is ticked in the save panel that appears, then save to your desired location.
    • This will create a plain text (.txt) file with the letters swapped around so that it is unreadable, but which has exactly the same word count as your text. You can upload this to the NaNoWriMo servers to validate your manuscript without anyone being able to read what you’ve written.

18 minutes ago, Nemom said:

From Scrivener:

• To compile with scrambled text for uploading to the NaNo servers:
    • Go to File > Compile…
    • Select “Plain Text (.txt)” next to “Compile for”.
    • Select “NaNoWriMo (Obfuscated)” from the list of formats on the left. (Note that this format is only available when plain text is selected next to “Compile for”.)
    • Click on “Compile”.
    • Make sure that “Append ‘.txt’ extension” is ticked in the save panel that appears, then save to your desired location.
    • This will create a plain text (.txt) file with the letters swapped around so that it is unreadable, but which has exactly the same word count as your text. You can upload this to the NaNoWriMo servers to validate your manuscript without anyone being able to read what you’ve written.

The original writing is left as is?

I think this may not be the same on the cellphone app.  

Edited by Pen

4 hours ago, Pen said:

The original writing is left as is?

I think this may not be the same on the cellphone app.  

Not sure what you mean.  

The instructions are directly from the Scrivener NaNo2018 template for Mac.  It scrambles the text so it can't be read.

I only have cellphone version. iOS- not Mac  

It doesn’t seem to have those same options.

My Mac operating system was too old to load Scrivener.  

I sent an email to Scrivener and posted on NaNoWriMo asking what to do. 

Meanwhile I started collecting my writing bits into a single file.   I have time now to do that and it should work as long as I am careful. And don’t start deleting any parts till after I validate. 

2 hours ago, Nemom said:

@Pen  I see you figured it out and validated.  Congratulations!!!!  

Over 50K, but not verified yet. 

I do know how now, but the way I used Scrivener it makes it much harder than it might have been.  I’ll know how to do it better for future. 

I’ll probably be verifying tomorrow or Saturday. 

Meanwhile resting post T-day.  How are you all doing?  

• Like 1

Congratulations @Pen!  I see you are officially a winner!  Woo Hoo!!  

I should be over 40,000 at the end of today.  I should make it to 50,000 with no problems but boy, my fingers and hands are really starting to feel it.  I had the same problem last year too.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nemom said:

I did it!!  I'm a validated winner of NaNo2018!  Woo Hoo  (I really miss the dancing woo hoo emoji!!)

Congrats!!!   I just saw it on NaNoWriMo and came here to give congratulations!!! 🎉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

So happy for you all that will be 2018 winners!

As usual, I cane out of the gate and immediately hit obstacles, mostly things that needed to be done for family members. I love my two stories, though, and will keep working on them without the pressure of fast past. Still will need the internal editor turned off for first drafts!!!

It’s an old song to sing, but November truly is a about the worst month for me. Only December would be worse. I am thinking I’ll sometime challenge myself to a thirty day novel within dates of my own choosing. 

NaNo camp is in April and July I believe.  Maybe one of those months would work better for you.  

Loving your stories is what is most important though.  You can build on them all year and finish when you finish.  

I won!!! And it's actually a story that I can see going somewhere after some heavy editing XD

I'm so excited about the fact that I actually wrote a rough draft of something, that I got a story down that actually sort of makes sense. I've never done anything like it before in my life!

Congrats to everyone who tried NaNo this year!!!!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Petrichor said:

I won!!! And it's actually a story that I can see going somewhere after some heavy editing XD

I'm so excited about the fact that I actually wrote a rough draft of something, that I got a story down that actually sort of makes sense. I've never done anything like it before in my life!

Congrats to everyone who tried NaNo this year!!!!

I feel feel like this too!!!

Congratulations to everyone!!!!

And for those of us now wanting to do rewriting, revising, editing, maybe we can start a new thread for that in this “club”?

• Like 2