Menu

When the door on your dishwasher's dish soap dispenser breaks...

umsami

The dispenser on our last dishwasher stopped working. When I called the manufacturer, they said to just toss the tab in the bottom of the tub. We did that for a couple of years. When we got our new dishwasher, my husband continued to toss the tab in the bottom. The only problem is when he does that, forgets to start it, then I put one in the door and start it. (Well, it doesn't cause a "problem," but he thinks it's a total waste of a tab. ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, umsami said:

Is there an easy fix?

Tossing the pods in the dishwasher leads to sometimes clean dishes...other times, it's like it didn't work.

Are there little hanging baskets or some such thing one can buy to use?

I have not had problems with the pods (I use Amway's).

I have an older dishwasher; one of its cycles is a shorter wash, which uses only one wash cycle (the soap dispensers assume two wash cycles: one side has slots so that the water in the dishwasher sprays into it, and the door pops open during the second wash cycle to empty the rest of the detergent). When the dispenser door quit working, I started using the shorter cycle, and the dishes still were clean (also Amway's dishwasher detergent). When I started using the pods, I wasn't sure it would be enough, but yes, it works just fine. ?

• Like 1

I use cheap powder, fill up one reservoir with the powder and leave the other one empty. I never use the little cover. I learned that this works perfectly fine when we had a dishwasher whose poor design had the racks preventing the cover from popping completely open. It’s a win because I save money by using half the detergent! 

• Like 1

I had a dishwasher that stopped opening the door for the detergent. I just stopped closing the little door. I'd fill the dispenser with the gel and wash as usual otherwise. Had no issues at all. In that same dishwasher, if I had a tab, I'd just toss it in. I personally think the dispenser is more for convenience than necessity.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

I use cheap powder, fill up one reservoir with the powder and leave the other one empty. I never use the little cover. I learned that this works perfectly fine when we had a dishwasher whose poor design had the racks preventing the cover from popping completely open. It’s a win because I save money by using half the detergent! 

Yeah, we had a Kenmore that was designed like that. ::smacks forehead:: We replaced it with a Whirlpool, which I love; and it has a short cycle with only one wash (the regular cycle has two washes, which is why there are two reservoirs), so I save time now as well as water and energy. Sadly, I don't think dishwashers made today (mine is 14yo) have that option.

• Like 1