Menu

A Word Write Now by IEW

Because I was a stickler for making DC complete the IEW checklists for each assignment, they were good about using varied words.   So, I thought I needed this.  We did not need it.  My students preferred to use the regular or computer thesaurus.  If your student just loves words, they may like it, but we were under-impressed.  Quite expensive, IMO.  

Now, I liked having the Student Resource Notebook by IEW in spiral bound version.  Not sure how this varies from the PDF Student Resource Pages/Binder, but it was definitely different from the student pages we received free from the regular IEW student package.  It is only half the price of the WRN, and it contains word lists.  After successfully using IEW for years, I can honestly say, what you need to successfully teach writing is consistent use of a plain old IEW writing program, a red-pen, and lots of praise & encouragement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dd12 loves this book!

Ours is so beat up!  It lost its cover.  The pages are all dog-eared. The paper is worn.  Usually my kids are pretty gentle with books, and I'm assuming that there is nothing wrong with the quality of the product.  She just uses it so much that it is getting worn out.

This is the only IEW product that we own, so I can't speak to whether it is necessary if you own the rest of their system.  I couldn't justify the cost of the writing program, but I feel that this book is an extremely useful resource.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1

The Word Finder was recommended by our IEW instructor.  She preferred it because it has more words.  Our copy  is well-worn and well-loved.   https://www.amazon.com/Word-Finder-J-I-Rodale/dp/0878571388/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1538598611&sr=8-2&keywords=the+word+finder#customerReviews  

ETA:  My children were teens when it was recommended and didn't need as much help with choosing synonyms.   The Word Finder suggests modifiers to go with the words you've already chosen.  

Edited by Starfish
more info
  • Like 2

This is one of those resources we wanted to use and love, but it is not set up in a way that is totally intuitive for us. So it has not been worthwhile for us.  I think it is just the way it is structured. YMMV.

I would agree with prior posters--there are some nice lists in the free Student Resource notebook that comes with the theme-based books.  

• Like 1