Menu

If you’ve vacationed in Moab, UT...

StaceyinLA

Have you done it as an only destination trip? If so, how long were you there? I’m just wondering how much time you could fill doing things in that area.

Also, what time of year? Is it pretty much a summer-only place, or are things open and active there more of the time? If so, what?

We stayed a night there on our trip from WA to Louisiana, and I absolutely LOVED the place. It’s definitely on my list of places to take my kids/grandkids, but I don’t know that I’d want to do it in mid-June again. Just wondering what the tourist “season” is around there, and if there would still be plenty to do off-season.

I asked my husband, because he's been there.  He said it's not a place you want to be in summer.  Go in the spring or fall.  And if you are really into mountain biking, four-wheeling, rafting, hiking, and/or rock climbing, then yes it is absolutely a great destination.

My family took a trip to Moab about 20 years ago. I think I was in high school, so I don't have a lot of helpful details. I remember that we combined Moab with Mesa Verde/Durango, Colorado, which are not that far and would definitely increase the things-to-do list. 

We were driving from Texas;  we may have hit some underground caverns in New Mexico on our way there, and maybe another Colorado place on the return trip. However, I think Moab and Durango were our primary destinations. 

Hi! I love Moab and the surrounding areas. I could spend all my time there but...Arches and Cayonlands NP are there and Dead Horse state park is right nearby. All of them are great for hiking and exploring. I’d probably do at least 2 days in Arches and 1 in Canyonlands. Your Grandkids might want to do the Junior Ranger programs in both parks and Cayonlands has a Night Sky Ranger program that’s cool.

if you wanted to go out a bit further, 2 hours away is Capitol Reef NP which is one of my favorites. They have orchards that open and close throughout the spring, summer, and fall and there is a little house selling pies in the park. Plus it’s just as amazing as the others nearby.

Fall and Spring are going to be the most comfortable times to go. Summer is miserably hot and kind of dangerous with heat exhaustion. Summer is their off season but not a lot of fun to me. 

Hope that helps. Have a great time!

• Like 1

All I know is that don't plan on going there in high season with no reservations. ? We went there once over Memorial Day weekend, and not only were all the campgrounds filled, but all the hotels were, too.  Every one.  We even contacted high end hotels.  We were willing to pay a lot.  Eventually a campground about 10 miles from the town let us dry camp for the night.

I loved Moab, though.  I felt that being there was like being in a movie. We were only there 2 nights, but we packed in a lot, mostly just driving around the national park, and doing several hikes.  We spent a wonderful hour or two at a rock store in town, as well.  I would have loved to have had more time there.

Edited by Serenade

Well, we were there in January and hiked around and visited the parks and had a great time.  There was snow, it was beautiful.  We're from MN so it wasn't cold to us!  I would love to go back and would definitely go back in lower season.  Maybe not January, but also not the most popular months either.  

You can spend months in that area and not run out of things to do. I would absolutely avoid summer; it is hot and miserable. Best season is spring or fall. Great canyons to explore, fantastic hiking and backpacking. haven't rock climbed, but there has to be lots. Good for mountain biking too.

• Like 2

We went in April and the pool at our KOA was closed which was very disappointing as we were really hot after hiking. I can't remember when they opened it. 

We also experienced a sandstorm while sleeping in our tent which was exciting except I was worried the tent would rip as the poles were bending the majority of the way to the ground from the wind.

We were there in July as part of a larger trip. I wished I had researched more before we got there (we spent a day in Arches) because there is so much to do in the area. We took a short trip to checkout some dinosaur footprints but there were other locations where you could see fossils that we didn't have time for. I was able to put my hand into the footprint and take a pic which was amazing! And you are allowed to but it is against the law to take plaster casts because those destroy the stone. Wind and flooding are very common and sandstorms will require pools to close to prevent damage from dirt in the pool systems. Arches was still partly closed due to some flooding. Fall and spring are "the" peak times for this area because the weather is more mild but it will be very crowded. We rented a home in a small community just south of the KOA from Airbnb and were very happy.

We honeymooned there many years ago, and I took my 11 yo daughter there in 2009. I agree that spring and fall are the best times, but evenings and early mornings are cooler year round. We were there in March/April. It is easily combined with a trip to Durango, CO for varied terrain! Love that area.

Like the north rim of the Grand Canyon, Moab(~4000ft) and Canyonlands(max slightly under 6000ft) is at elevation. So yeah it may be hot on average. But, ~20 years ago I was backpacking in the Maze district of Canyonlands in late June; It was near 90 degrees when I went in and snowing(heavy flurries in the mid-high 30s) when I hiked out. Just keep that in mind on the very broad shoulder season.

Thanks everyone! This is definitely on my short list of places to travel with my kids/grandkids - we just loved that little town. Unfortunately, this is when we did our WA-Louisiana trip a few months ago with a 3 week-old and a couple boston terriers, so we didn’t really get to experience anything other than the inside of the (very nice BTW) La Quinta Inn. Oh, and we did get some yummy Mexican food!

I think my older grandkids would love it, especially my dinosaur obsessed grandson!