Menu

Prepping...off of usmami's post

homemommy83

So.....if America had a horrible meltdown of the economy or a large scale terrorist attack and you had to evacuate your home immediately and would not be able to buy curriculum or books for a long foreseeable future....what would you take with you in one suitcase?

I would take:

1. My Bible- in my personal backpack

2. The Golden Children's Bible

3. Rod and Staff Math 4 and 6

4. LOF Fractions, Decimals and Percents, and Algebra

5. Rod and Staff English 6

6. PLL and ILL

7. TYCtRin100EL and Alphaphonics

8. 20th Century Treasury of Picture Book Classics, Treasury of Beatrix Potter, and James Herriots Treasury for Children.

9. As many Apologia textbooks that would fit.

Brenda

P.S. If this had to fit in a backpack I think I would have a mental breakdown.?

• Like 2

Hmmm, given what I have and the ages of my kiddos, I would grab:

a Bible (probably ESV or NASB because this would be my higher level reading book as well as spiritual nourishment and because I have very compact versions of both these editions).

McGuffey’s readers (I only have up to the 4th, though). Youngest definitely needs the primer and early ones though.

blank notebooks, as many as would fit, as well as pencils, crayons, and erasers.

A small chalkboard and box of chalk.

a couple of strayer Upton style vintage math books currently decorating my mantle, inherited from great uncle. This takes me up to about 6th grade math.

a community college pre algebra book (for DD). After that, no math, as pp said, if the world is going somewhere in a hand basket, higher math is not my concern, and maybe if it gets to be we can scavenge something later. Also I just don’t have any higher math books yet.

a couple of paperback poetry anthologies- great British and great American.

History - I’m kind of lacking here with what I’ve got on hand. SOTW 1 and maybe History Stories for Children and Exploring American History (Christian Liberty Press) because I have them on hand. If they fit and nothing better presents itself.

science - all I’ve got at the moment is God’s Design for Our Universe. By no means comprehensive, but light and thin. Also How Things Work, perhaps more useful post-apocalyptically.

i’d tell Each child to pack their own favorite book or two in their personal backpack.

• Like 1

So for science....it would depend on just how apocalyptic of an attack we're talking. If we're talking major societal collapse, then I think books on plants (edible, medicinal), basic biology/anatomy and first aid, the history of science... those would be my choices. Maybe a book on water purification. ?

If we're talking temporary displacement, then any old science text would do. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

So for science....it would depend on just how apocalyptic of an attack we're talking. If we're talking major societal collapse, then I think books on plants (edible, medicinal), basic biology/anatomy and first aid, the history of science... those would be my choices. Maybe a book on water purification. ?

If we're talking temporary displacement, then any old science text would do. ?

I would make my husband carry these as a family resource library as he doesn't enjoy reading anything, but Mother Earth News?.  Awesome choices.

I am figuring that all schools and libraries....I know ladies try not to hyperventilate?....are closed and will remain so for at least a semester if not a year as people need to deal with the immediate aftermath of what has happened.  Children desire normalcy so trying to do some readalouds and school each day is ideal.

I think any book on how to do things the old fashioned way will become popular as people do not have the constant security or entertainment of computers and television.

On 8/28/2018 at 6:05 PM, alisoncooks said:

This was such a fun thread to read!!!

It made me think that if we are talking about a mythical scenario where society completely breaks down, that means most stuff *not* preserved in a suitcase (or bunker if you prefer Hunter's scenario) will be looted, burned, destroyed, used for toilet paper, what have you. So my book choices might conceivably be the only means we have of remembering a pre-apocalyptic civilization. What a weighty decision! ?

So with that in mind, my choices are KJV Life Application Bible, Hymn book with pitch pipe, a big fat art history book, Dr Wile's General and Physical science texts, Lial's basic college math, a children's book anthology, a Norton literature anthology or two, a poetry anthology, K12 Our Human Story, and K12 American Odyssey.

I'd let my DH bring the books about water purification and food preservation and whatnot. I'm busy saving Western Civilization here lol

• Like 2

The Strayer-Upton volume I have sitting on the shelf, The Lord of the Rings, Teutonic Religion and  Our Troth vol. 1; whatever volume of Norse Myths I grab first (Crossley-Holland, probably), a book or two on Druidry, The Mabignogion, Beowulf, The Jungle Book, our one-volume Winnie-the-Pooh collection, our field guides (these are helpfully small), a guide to medicinal herbs, a survival manual (I don't recall the exact titles but both are represented in my home collection), DS's cub scout handbook for the year, and an anatomy and physiology text (again, I have several on the shelf). Given the part of the world we live in, whatever Spanish textbooks we have collecting dust and a Spanish-English dictionary. The set of middle school subject guides I bought for DD a couple of years ago. Zinn's Young People's History of the United States, and a few more science books to round things out. A Brief History of Time perhaps.  Maybe Simply Grammar if I still have it.

• Like 1

I always figured if society completely broke down one of the first things I'm doing is breaking into the closest library for all the homesteading/prepper books.   I do have a couple here at home so I guess if we have to evacuate and may not make it back, that would be one to bring.

Can I just choose the longest books (since I'll be rereading them a lot), with the biggest variety of stories and the most useful information?  I love dystopian literature and I figure lots of that has some real survival skill stuff in it, right?

• Like 1

I would bring upper level math (I can wing elementary), some good lit, the Bible, and paper/chalkboard. I think I wouldn't bring science or history bc we'd be too busy surviving to do much of the rest. I could do some of it orally ( history) and science could wait for a year. And if it's longer than that, I'm not sure it would matter much. I feel the same about   Foreign language  

However, I always thought we would be able to stay at our house where I have enough to school every grade well. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, freesia said:

However, I always thought we would be able to stay at our house where I have enough to school every grade well. 

That's true for us as well. We have a well and a garden and live far off the beaten path so It's nice to think we could stay at home with my bookshelves full ?

• Like 2