Menu

Would you take your puppy to a farm?

Storygirl

In addition to the concerns others have already mentioned, six hours in the car in one day is a long time for people; it may seem like an eternity to a little puppy. Also, are you sure your puppy won’t get carsick? Three hours each way is a long time for a pup who isn’t accustomed to long rides in the car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I understand and don't disagree.

I grew up on farms (both sets of grandparents). My brother raises goats and chickens. I've worked in rescue for three decades and have seen pretty much every health issue imaginable. And I still think lack of socialization is far and away the greatest risk most puppies will ever face. I think we all fear the thing we know the most.

Yes. A staggering number of pets are put to sleep for behavior reasons each year. Way more than are killed by parvo. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Yes. A staggering number of pets are put to sleep for behavior reasons each year. Way more than are killed by parvo. 

This is an odd argument, though, because it's not like the puppy's only possible chance to get socialized is to take it to a farm with unvaccinated dogs.There are plenty of safer environments  for socialization.

• Like 2

Just to address a couple of points...

We know about lepto, and vets do vaccinate for it here, but puppy won't have that vaccine until her 16 week appointment, which will be after the picnic. It's a concern, certainly. I did talk to our vet about it, and he said, "There are always risks, but you can't keep yourself from doing everything."

Their farm dogs (two of them right now) are not guard dogs or working dogs. Just outdoor pets. They are super friendly and not at all aggressive or territorial, but I realize that bringing an unknown dog onto their property is a different situation than we've seen them in before and that they may behave unexpectedly.  I really don't have fears of these particular dogs breaking out of an enclosure and attacking.

But it's good for others who may read this thread to consider these things.

DD16 is still seeking a friend to visit puppy while we are gone, and we had an adult friend volunteer (though he lives so far away that we would be hesitant to take him up on it), so we aren't out of other options yet.

Thanks for all of the input. There are definitely many things to consider!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Selkie said:

This is an odd argument, though, because it's not like the puppy's only possible chance to get socialized is to take it to a farm with unvaccinated dogs.There are plenty of safer environments  for socialization.

This is true, but IME "there's always another time/place" is an excuse that's used way too frequently. It's all too easy to push the hard work of puppy socialization and training until tomorrow/next week/next month when we think there will be better or more convenient opportunities. And before owners know it they've got an 8 month/10 month/2 year old dog on their hands who's had zero socialization, is out of control, and they're desperate for solutions. Or looking for a shelter or rescue group to take the dog off of their hands.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

Really! In fact, the examples given by posters with dogs that would attack a car to get to another dog make me more worried. I hope to never have to go to a place like that,lol. Granted, the farms around here are all dairy, so no attacking-puppy monster dogs. I’d have no problems taking my pup to the typical farms in this area. Most of the ones I’ve been at have sweet collies or labradors lounging around the driveway, looking for someone to pet them.

Lgds are just different kind of dogs. They’re not viscous and they often do well with people. But they guard their farm from intruders. And they’re very independent minded. Coyotes are other dogs but a good lgd won’t allow them in the flock because...lamb chops. 

Also, other dogs in some areas are as bad or worse than raccoons and opossums. 

But every farm, every set up is different. It’s jist sometimes really hard to convey to non farm people that this isn’t just a park. We have working animals here. Theyre often pets, but sometimes they’re not really just pets. The dogs have jobs.

The ram has a job, the billy goat and the bull have jobs. And because testosterone...it’s a place where one has to be careful. 

Id be more nervous about that mean old Rhode Island Red rooster than my dog any day anyhow.

farms just require a completely different mindset. Not all are like that. My friend with the horse farm does dogs entirely differently than we have since we’ve had sheep in the recent past.

ita always a good idea to ask and not be offended if the farmer says no. They want to protect your dog and they’d feel really bad if your dog was hurt on their place.

• Like 1

Just to update, in case anyone is wondering what we have decided:

DD16 found a friend who can come to our house to feed, walk, and play with puppy while we are gone for the day, so we will leave her at home. His family also owns a goldendoodle, and we know he is a reliable guy, so it will be fine, even though it will still be a long time for her to be in her crate. But she is used to being in there and will be fine.

If she were all the way through her puppy vaccinations and/or if their dogs were fully vaccinated, we may have made a different decision -- these are the issues that gave us pause. Otherwise, she would have been fun to take with us.

It's been an interesting discussion. Thanks for your help, everyone!

• Like 3