Menu

Common App: Transcripts -- Up to four, what to send?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, up to four transcripts can be added to the common app. What did you/are you sending? 

In another thread, a book list and course descriptions were mentioned as possibilities. Another option, in addition to the main homeschool transcript, might be transcripts or certificates from online schools. Any other suggestions or thoughts?

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy

1) transcript

2) course descriptions

I was also planning on uploading her activities resume, but that was before seeing the Common App itself & how both the CA and some schools handle activities. (One school actually has a place for her to upload her activities resume in addition to what the CA asks.)

I do not intend to use the other two slots. If she was applying to a large # of places, I'd consider uploading an unofficial copy of her DE transcript because not every single place requires an official copy during the application process. In her case, it isn't that much $ to directly send it to the three schools she's applying to, so I'm skipping that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Woodland Mist Academy said:

Will you just attach course descriptions for homegrown courses? There is a question in the homeschool section that asks for course descriptions for outside classes. Or will you still include all course descriptions in the attachment?

I don't promise I'm doing this right, WMA. :tongue: This is my first time and she isn't going for any competitive schools, so keep that in mind. All courses are included on my course description document and I plan on just saying, "See Course Descriptions" in all those spots that ask for stuff that I've already covered. For things I haven't covered, I haven't decided what I'm going to do. Since DD isn't close to being done with her essay, I haven't stressed about finishing my part yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Woodland Mist Academy said:

Will you just attach course descriptions for homegrown courses? There is a question in the homeschool section that asks for course descriptions for outside classes. Or will you still include all course descriptions in the attachment?

The question was not addressed to me, but I submitted the same documents as RootAnn, so I'll answer as well:

I included course descriptions for all courses in order to create a comprehensive overview over their class work. I included more detail for with home designed courses (humanities, electives), kept it shorter for courses where a standard canon is covered (algebra, physics), and only copied the short description from the university's course catalog for DE courses.

• Like 2

Sorry to hijack this but are you uploading the DE transcripts separately, as part of the four, even though the classes will be listed on the main, cumulative transcript and an official transcript is sent separately? If so, I guess, four spots is not enough and we can also omit the reading list. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

Sorry to hijack this but are you uploading the DE transcripts separately, as part of the four, even though the classes will be listed on the main, cumulative transcript and an official transcript is sent separately? If so, I guess, four spots is not enough and we can also omit the reading list. 

I don't think any of us are uploading the DE transcripts at all. (I'm not. Regentrude said she didn't. I'm assuming 8 didn't when her now-graduated-from-college-ds applied. WMA didn't indicate what she's going to do.) We're listing the DE courses on our main, cumulative transcript (as you worded it) and having the DE college/university send theirs separately & directly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're not very far into this, so maybe it will become clear.....but is there somewhere on the common app where it tells you to send requests for DE transcripts? DS is saying he's already entered that he took classes at a college and it's telling him that none of his colleges require courses and grades. I was planning to upload a copy of his transcript in the transcript section, but no? Does he need to send the same kind of request to his college as he sent to me as his counselor?

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, madteaparty said:

I did scan college transcripts and upload them, even though we had also requested official copies be sent.  Ds2 applied to over a dozen colleges and had transcripts from 3 colleges to send and I had some concern that one might get dropped.

I scanned all the transcripts as a multi page document that took one slot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kokotg said:

We're not very far into this, so maybe it will become clear.....but is there somewhere on the common app where it tells you to send requests for DE transcripts? DS is saying he's already entered that he took classes at a college and it's telling him that none of his colleges require courses and grades. I was planning to upload a copy of his transcript in the transcript section, but no? Does he need to send the same kind of request to his college as he sent to me as his counselor?

My kids' schools required them to request a transcript, either online or with a paper slip at the registrars office.  

They had to give the appropriate address for the destination college.

Several colleges indicated on their admissions pages that official transcripts were required. I don't remember if their common app section mentioned the transcripts. 

I did read recently that some colleges are no longer requiring transcripts at application, but only upon acceptance.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, madteaparty said:

If classes are listed on the comprehensive transcript,  I don't see a point in uploading unofficial DE transcripts since the college will want to see official transcripts from the institutions where those were taken.

If you feel the need to send them twice, simply combine all de transcripts into one document.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1