Menu

Fraud concern - advice?

skimomma

I need some quick advice.

I got a package in the mail addressed to me that I did not order.  I called the company and they told me that someone had ordered this in my name and used a credit card that does not match any of mine.  They could only give me the last 4 digits.  Is there a way to quickly find out if someone has indeed taken out something in my name?

I have had this happen to friends and the explanation was that sometimes marketing companies find your name on a list somewhere, order a product to send to you, and then leave a "Verified" review for the product on sites like Amazon. So it's a scam, but a scam for others who might buy the product, not for you. You can go on whatever the company site is and leave a note that you suspect the reviews are fake because you got this package in the mail - if you hate the product, that is.

Thanks all.  I ran my credit reports and no new cards show.  Dh is doing the same.  I cancelled the subscription from the company.  They report that the card used has my name and billing address on their records but it is for sure not a card we have or ever have had.  The items are not something anyone in my family would be a match for so it is not likely to be a gift.  Hopefully this is some sort of scam that does not involve me directly.  So irritating!  

In addition to checking the information on your reports, you can add an initial 90-day fraud alert to your credit report. There's no cost for this, and you only need to do it with one of the credit reporting agencies, and they will share with the rest. My understanding is that the fraud alert shows up if anyone checks your credit. If you want to open a new account, or someone else tries to open an account in your name, and there's a fraud alert, it should trigger an additional identity check for whoever is opening the account. 

I recently received 4 packages I hadn't ordered from Wal-mart. They had my name first name, address, and phone number, but a different last name. The packages arrived several days after we had fraudulent activity at Wal-mart on one of our credit cards. From what I can tell on my credit reports, there hasn't been any additional activity. 

• Like 2

Have you by any chance placed a recent order with the same company?

I was involved in a big mix up with Home Depot last year. I ordered some flooring, and I received some flooring. But totally different stuff than what I'd ordered. It had my name and address on it. After a bit of sleuthing it turns out that somehow they messed up my order, along with that of someone in Georgia and someone in Pennsylvania. The orders all had the correct names and addresses, but the wrong products. Thankfully they straightened it out quickly, got my stuff to me and knocked off a huge percentage.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1