Menu

Dr. Hive: Metallic Taste

rutamattatt

I have had this terrible taste in my mouth for a few months now and it will not go away!  Very metallic.  Like cold metal.  It's gross.

I've been to the dentist for a cleaning and all looks good there.  No bleeding gums.  DH says my breath smells OK.  Haven't started any new medications.  I can still taste foods and such, but have this constant metallic taste.  I know it is such a little thing, but it is wearing. me. out.

I've been to the dr for fatigue and my labs show low Vitamin D and low B12, so I am wondering if that may cause it?  I have a follow up appointment next week, so I will ask there about it.  But in the meanwhile has anyone ever had this before?  What helped?  I've tried gum, mints.  It helps for awhile and then it comes right back.  

Hurl!

I don't know what the cause could be, but DH's cancer medicine causes altered taste (as many of them do) and his is metallic. Sour/tart things tend to help counteract it--drink lemonade, suck on lemon hard candies, etc. Also, you might try making a mouth rinse of one quart water, one teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of baking soda and swishing with that several times a day.

Edited by Pawz4me