Menu

FB help needed

klmama

My dc had to get a FB account to join a private group for a regular activity.  Until dc is older, it is not to be used for anything else. When dc got the account, we made privacy settings as tight as we could so that it would only be used to receive info from the private group.  Once dc was registered, a "first post" popped up announcing dc's birthdate.  Dc can delete that, but FB says doing so will also delete that info in the "about" section.  During the registration process there was something about minors having limited access to some ads or something... or maybe it was others having limited access to minors' info?... and I don't want deleting the birthdate to cause FB to stop recognizing dc as a minor and so change the experience in a way we don't want.  Do you remember what the minor restrictions are and do you know if deleting the birthday post affects that?  And is the "about" section still visible to others, even if the timeline is not?

Edited by klmama

I would put in a fake birth date that is near his actual age, e.g. if he's 13, say he was born January 1, 2005.

You should be able to hide your timeline info from the public.  I don't know if you can stop the birthday announcement, but you probably can.  I don't think mine does that.

You can have FB hide his actual birth date that you entered.  Many of my friends elect not to have that info public. And many others have the month and day public- but not the year! (I fall into this category. Seriously, no one needs to know my age!)

https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=864158763670596

Edited by Bambam

8 hours ago, klmama said:

Sorry, I don't understand.  About what should I not worry?  Having dc's birthday, including year, listed so other can see it?  Or about having FB stop whatever it does to protect minors?  

I hide the birthday info on myself.  Hiding it should not in any way remove his status as a minor.

3 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

i'd pop in a fake b-day too. And then hide it on their profile- mine is hidden. Also, the AdBlock extension on Chrome (I'm sure it's on other browsers too) is great about hiding all ads on FB!

I don't understand.  Why a fake bd?  She wants the protection FB offers to minors.....

35 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I don't understand.  Why a fake bd?  She wants the protection FB offers to minors.....

She would keep the same year and could even keep the same month (or not). This would keep his actual date of birth from being linked to his name on the Internet (which is what I think she’s trying to do). 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

She would keep the same year and could even keep the same month (or not). This would keep his actual date of birth from being linked to his name on the Internet (which is what I think she’s trying to do). 

Oh I see!  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

My kid's only 10, but I don't want the world having access to his birthdate. I don't post pictures of him online and use fake birthdays. FB has too much info on me already without needing my real birthdate. (I promise I'm not a tin foil hat person - I just try to be cautious on FB, especially)

• Like 1

Thanks, everybody.  We used the info in the link Bambam posted to make dc's birthdate visible only to dc.  

I have to say, it's interesting and a little creepy how FB knows to recommend so many people dc knows.  Friends, relatives, people involved in dc's outside activities....  I assume the known connections are all from using dc's gmail account to register.  

Edited by klmama
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, klmama said:

Thanks, everybody.  We used the info in the link Bambam posted to make dc's birthdate visible only to dc.  

I have to say, it's interesting and a little creepy how FB knows to recommend so many people dc knows.  Friends, relatives, people involved in dc's outside activities....  I assume the known connections are all from using dc's gmail account to register.  

Yes, but I am not creeped out by it.  I have no expectation of privacy in this day and age....everyone knows everything they want to know.  Back in the day when my ds was young, I felt he was in more danger from a stranger following us home from the grocery store than from anything on line.