Menu

Great Course: Science Fiction as Philosophy

Katy

4 hours ago, Mabelen said:

Is there a link to the list of books discussed?

The lecture titles give the main works he discusses in the lectures, and the guidebook gives lists at the end of each lecture of related sci-fi (the lists are pretty comprehensive).  I believe the guide has summaries/critical points of the critical works discussed.  It is not required that you have invested all this sci-fi already but helpful.  Most seem to be film/TV (eg GATTACA, Soylent Green, The Matrix, Dr. Who) though many of those have their origins in books. He covers classics (like Metropolis) through contemporary works (like Westworld, though honestly I have not got to that lecture so I can't be sure if it is the HBO series or the old movie with Yule Brenner) . Here are the lecture titles from the guidebook:

1  Inception and the interpretation of art 

2  The Matrix and the Value of Knowledge 

3  the Matrix Sequels and human Free Will 

4  The Adjustment Bureau, the Force, and Fate

5  Contact:ScienceversusReligion 

6  Arrival:aliensandRadicaltranslation

7  Interstellar: is time travel Possible? 

8  Doctor Who and time travel Paradoxes 

9  Star Trek: TNG and alternate Worlds 

10  Dark City, Dollhouse, and Personal identity

11  Westworld and A.I. Artificial Intelligence 

12  Transcendence and the Dangers of ai 

13  The Thirteenth Floor: are We Simulated? 

14  The Orville, orwell, and the “Black Mirror” 

15  Star Wars: Good versus evil 

16  Firefly, Blake’s 7, and Political Rebellion

17  Starship Troopers, Doctor Who, and Just War

18  the Prime Directive and Postcolonialism 

19  capitalism in Metropolis, elysium, and Panem 

20  Snowpiercer and climate change

21  Soylent Green: overpopulation and euthanasia 

22  Gattaca and the ethics of Reproduction 

23  TheHandmaid’sTale: Feminism and Religion

24  Kubrick’s 2001 and nietzsche’s Übermensch

• Thanks 1

Not all courses are on there. It is a subscription service (the first time you go there it will probably offer a time sevsative deal). The guide books are in pdf so you could print I suppose (but they are often color and I wouldn’t want to pay for that).

ETA: I don’t know if you can download - we have only used streaming

I definitely don't have all of the older courses that have been referenced on the board on Great Courses Plus, but there are hundreds or maybe thousands of them.

There is a guidebook, it's a pdf that is 312 pages long, both with lecture notes and suggested supplementary materials if you are interested in diving deeper or want to watch everything referenced first.  I didn't even realize they had them until that was asked.  I think you can get a monthly subscription fee like Netflix, though in our case DH bought me an annual subscription for something (maybe my birthday?).  I haven't spent much time on the website, we mostly access only the streaming information through Roku.  I find it preferable to rewatching our favorite tv shows over and over.

In terms of which books and movies and tv shows are referenced, you can't just go by the list of lectures because so far in most of them he also references another movie and tells you to pause and go watch it.  So far I haven't and haven't felt the need to. I took a fair amount of philosophy classes in college though, so I'm not sure everyone would feel that comfortable to skip the stuff.  Certainly if I was doing this for academic reasons I'm sure it would be beneficial to see them all, but I'm watching for entertainment more than anything else. 

The instructor is very good, in one of the first 5 classes he managed to sum up all of my philosophical issues with Calvinism in about 10 seconds in a succinct and precise way - I've never heard anyone do that before, and it's not a theology course. To misquote Einstein, I pretty much judge instructors by their ability to explain enormously complex issues as if they are speaking to a six year old - not that I want all nuance erased, but I think that teaching ability shows up tremendously in that little test.

2 hours ago, 6packofun said:

Oh my gosh, how did I not know Great Courses Plus was a thing?!!  Do you have access to everything they have?

*Edited to add: What about any print materials...can you download (free or paid)?

I had no idea either!

On 7/29/2018 at 9:56 PM, Katy said:

The instructor is very good, in one of the first 5 classes he managed to sum up all of my philosophical issues with Calvinism in about 10 seconds in a succinct and precise way - I've never heard anyone do that before, and it's not a theology course. To misquote Einstein, I pretty much judge instructors by their ability to explain enormously complex issues as if they are speaking to a six year old - not that I want all nuance erased, but I think that teaching ability shows up tremendously in that little test.

I was skimming through the guidebook and saw a reference to Calvinism and was like, "OK, I don't even know where he's going with that but he just sold me a subscription." and I signed up.  LOL

• Like 2