Menu

Landscaping opinions needed

klmama

I'm dealing with decision paralysis and need some input.  We want to plant bushes in a large bed that currently has landscaping fabric under mulch and dirt (from mulch breaking down).  We get a lot of acorns and maple seeds there, and the fabric does make it easier to pull out the young trees, even if we don't notice them for a long time.  However, if we put mulch on top of what's already there it will spill over onto the concrete next to it, and it will continue breaking down over the years and we'll have even more dirt on top of that landscaping fabric, making it even harder to remove later.  What do you think we should do?  Dig up all of the fabric and start fresh with thick mulch?  Just dig holes where we want the bushes to go and not worry about the dirt getting thicker and thicker on top of the fabric?  Sell the house and let someone else deal with it???  That one is my favorite, LOL!  Thanks for any suggestions. 

I think if you plant densely enough, you shouldn’t have a problem. The problem of buildup comes from our love of a disproportionate ratio of mulched space to vegetation. The growth of plants actually does take mass from the soil, and so as you rake away fall leaves and add fresh mulch, you should be fine as long as the vegetation is dense. Does that make sense? 

39 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

I think if you plant densely enough, you shouldn’t have a problem. The problem of buildup comes from our love of a disproportionate ratio of mulched space to vegetation. The growth of plants actually does take mass from the soil, and so as you rake away fall leaves and add fresh mulch, you should be fine as long as the vegetation is dense. Does that make sense? 

I don't disagree but it depends if klama is planting young bushes or established.  If she plants young bushes densely, she'll later have to pull them out.  In the meantime of waiting for them to grow - it's the same problem of adding mulch on top of the fabric for a few years.

I'd just pull it all out now before planting several new plants.  A fresh slate always feels good.  We do extremely dense wood mulch here and it's working well.  Mulch heavily in the spring and you have very little upkeep, IMO.  And, I'll add, you will have healthier soil. The black landscape fabric does impact your worm count. ?

Yank it out before fall planting. (It probably won’t be as bad as you dread.) You don’t need the plastic if you’re using enough mulch each year. If the plastic is interfering with the roots of weeds it is also interfering with the roots of the plants you want. 

Rake out just enough mulch to pull up the plastic, then rake it back. Use a leaf blower to ‘sweep’ the concrete clean when you’re done. (I mostly use my leaf blower as a broom.) Be glad you didn’t mulch with rocks or this job would be a gazillion times harder.  If you have leaves or grass clippings laying around, now’s your chance to get rid of them. Toss them on the bed before you replace the mulch and plants. Also, do your fall bulbs while you’re at it!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

I don't disagree but it depends if klama is planting young bushes or established.  If she plants young bushes densely, she'll later have to pull them out.  In the meantime of waiting for them to grow - it's the same problem of adding mulch on top of the fabric for a few years.

I'd just pull it all out now before planting several new plants.  A fresh slate always feels good.  We do extremely dense wood mulch here and it's working well.  Mulch heavily in the spring and you have very little upkeep, IMO.  And, I'll add, you will have healthier soil. The black landscape fabric does impact your worm count. ?

True, but she can plant annuals while the shrubs grow. I do agree that the plastic should come out btw. It’s not good for soil health. 

I detest landscaping fabric.   ime: water is more likely to run off, and the plants get less water than we think.

I will use  a mulch - which needs to break down, and needs to be refreshed - that way if using a good mulch, the quality of soil is  improved as well.  it will also help retain water and keep the soil cooler as well as moist.

eta: dh played with landscape fabric once.  about 20 years ago - I'm STILL pulling pieces of it out!

• Like 1