Menu

Best translation of Les Miserables?

I read the Norman Denny unabridged one that was supposed to be one of the best. (I wish they still had the emoji with the disgusted face.) :wacko: I was not a fan. But, I haven't tried another translation. 

I admit that I have memories of translating beautiful little snippets (probably very carefully chosen short sections) of Les Mis in high school French class and the Denny version was clunky compared to the French imagery I remember. (I'm sure our translations were terrible, but the picture the French words painted in my head won't ever go away.) 

ETA: I looked briefly at the Donougher's translation & it looks pretty good.

I've been reading the one by Wilbour.  I can't speak to the quality of the translation, but I like the way it reads.  It does not come across as a modern phrasing, but it isn't unapproachable either.  https://www.amazon.com/Misérables-Modern-Library-Victor-Hugo-ebook/dp/B000FC1J2G/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1531293515&sr=8-12&keywords=les+miserables+book  However, the book is pretty big.  I would be very wary of Kindle editions.  I think there are several for sale that are pretty lousy translations that are no longer under copyright.  

I am no where near finishing it.  One thing that I've found is that individual chapters read like small short stories on their own.  For this reason, I don't always build up enough momentum to keep picking it up again.  But each chapter is a little gem.  

5 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

I've been reading the one by Wilbour.  I can't speak to the quality of the translation, but I like the way it reads.  It does not come across as a modern phrasing, but it isn't unapproachable either.  https://www.amazon.com/Misérables-Modern-Library-Victor-Hugo-ebook/dp/B000FC1J2G/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1531293515&sr=8-12&keywords=les+miserables+book  However, the book is pretty big.  I would be very wary of Kindle editions.  I think there are several for sale that are pretty lousy translations that are no longer under copyright.  

We read a translation by Wilbour, too, but we read an abridged edition (pretty sure this is the only abridged novel I ever recommended that my students read. ?) They all loved it. It was recommended by Tapestry of Grace--which was the curriculum spine we were using at the time.

This is the version we read (and this updated edition seems to have lots of great supplementary instructional info): https://www.amazon.com/dp/141650026X/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvpv2_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3233965245922079678&pd_rd_wg=TqpTY&pf_rd_r=8YVQAGBA6V0TD2JNG9KJ&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=141650026X&pd_rd_w=vmPL1&pf_rd_i=null&pd_rd_r=7ffdcc0e-5eaa-47e1-83ba-5d3bfa929c8b&ie=UTF8&qid=1531312281&sr=3

I just noticed that the cover says "unabridged." This version is definitely abridged (656 pages--there's no way that is unabridged). Odd! I compared the 'Look Inside" pages to my older edition, and the edition above is definitely the exact same abridged text that we liked--from everything I could see. This is the older edition (on my bookshelf): https://www.amazon.com/Miserables-Enriched-Classics-Victor-2003-02-25/dp/B01K13XHFA/ref=tmm_mmp_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1531312281&sr=3

My then teen, a great lover of the musical Les Mis, chose to read the book in 9th grade from a number of literature choices that I gave her. It was the first book we read that really made us aware of the fact that a translator can make a significant difference. The first translation we read was like wading through mud [or sewers!]; the book dragged and dragged. Then we tried the translation by Norman Denny which made the book so much more enjoyable.

Regards,
Kareni