Menu

Vinyl Label Cutter--Cricut?

momacacia

Okay, I am totally not crafty and it's possible that my crafty 13yo will end up using this for me. I'm happy to invest in this machine some, but if I can get a more budget version...all the better! I want to cut vinyl for application on glass, plastic and maybe wall words type things. I've ordered from Etsy in the past, but want to do my own thing.

I know nothing about vinyl/paper cutters, but knew The Hive would know. Please tell me what to get and what I need to know.

#joannfabricsgivesmehives

We have a cricut that we bought about 8/9 yrs ago. We have used it for vinyl more than any of its other functions. In fact, my dh is in the process of having smiles and eyes cut to put onto post-light globes to turn them into giant smiley faces for dd's birthday party at church this week. So, when a project comes along, it's great to have. However, I must say that in all these years we might have used it a dozen or so times overall. I really thought that we would use it more often than we have. The cricut brand seems to be well supported. Our walmart carries various supplies for it. We have not bought the vinyl that they specifically sell for the machine. Dh gets vinyl elsewhere for cheaper and it doesn't make any difference in the quality of the cut.

I too have a a Silhouette Cameo.  I have really enjoyed having it and I would say that I use it monthly. I primarily use it for paper cutting and for writing.  It created all my Christmas gift tags for me. I have used it to address envleopes (very fancily).  We also use it to cut heat transfer vinyl (shirt iron ons) and make custom t shirts. My daughter anted to get a Lord Nermal shirt for her sister (my other daughter) but the shirts were being shipped from china, expensive, slow and in unrealistic sizing (a woman's L was a girls 12) so she made her own on a t shirt from Old Navy.(yes I am sure that it is copyright infringement, but she only made one and is not selling them) My son made a shirt for his girlfriend for her birthday. I rarely do nay projects with vinyl. The silhouette design store has many, many designs and most are .99

• Like 1

I have a Silhouette Cameo.  I love it.  I have more ideas then I actually get around to making ?    I read frequently that the Cameo is more user friendly then the Cricut.  If you are looking to save some $$ get the 2 instead of the 3 as I doubt you will miss the few feature upgrades.  I have the 2 and see no reason to upgrade.  You could even go with the Portrait, it just limits you on size (8" wide verus 12").  

There is a definate learning curve but once you get the hang of it, the sky is the limit.  You Tube, Silhouette School Blog.