Menu

Help me understand.......

bnwhitaker

In the younger elementary years can the children get confused between English grammar and Latin grammar?  Anyone experienced this before, good or bad?

Im planning on using R&S English next year for my 2nd grader and want to use it as our English grammar curriculum each year.  Im looking ahead at Latin for 3rd grade or even next year in 2nd.  But as I look at the TOC its seems they are going to be hearing the same words in both and it makes me wonder if they will begin to confuse things or if it would be to much for them.  Should they learn one solidly before the next?  Or have a good head start?

Anyone have advise for this?  

I don't think it's much of an issue because the words are in the same categories (a noun is still a noun, yes?).

That said, we did do a year of English grammar before doing Latin and English side by side.  I used Montessori-based characters along with the book Grammarland and continued using those through the next year with our English book and his Latin program.  As he learned to diagram in one, he did in the other on a lighter scale.  I just brought over what we were doing in English and reinforced the work in Latin with the same steps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bnwhitaker said:

In the younger elementary years can the children get confused between English grammar and Latin grammar?  Anyone experienced this before, good or bad?

Im planning on using R&S English next year for my 2nd grader and want to use it as our English grammar curriculum each year.  Im looking ahead at Latin for 3rd grade or even next year in 2nd.  But as I look at the TOC its seems they are going to be hearing the same words in both and it makes me wonder if they will begin to confuse things or if it would be to much for them.  Should they learn one solidly before the next?  Or have a good head start?

No, I think learning Latin will only help with English grammar.  Like HomeAgain pointed out, a noun is a noun is a noun....in any language.   Likewise, a verb is a verb is a verb....in any language.   There will be a ton of overlap between your English grammar program and your Latin program.   

• Like 1

In our house we capitalize on that overlap by explicitly comparing. I haven't seen a Latin program that would replace teaching English grammar as a subject in our house, BUT studying another foreign language is great for reinforcement. The definition of a direct object is the same, so we will start by reviewing what we learned in grammar before talking about it relative to the foreign language. Having a solid background in English grammar has let us focus on areas where the foreign language is different from English, gendered nouns and declensions, for example.

I've been surprised to notice very little confusion even when studying multiple languages. Someone recently pointed out that we use different vocabularies when we shop at the hardware store versus visit an art museum and our brains handle it fine, languages aren't much different. I liked this idea. Of course, I'm drifting from your grammar question...

4 hours ago, bnwhitaker said:

Can you give an example of the trouble?  I myself pick my favorite definitions (from the Grammar Island series for parts of speech, for example) and just teach that in all the programs, the children know they are not scored "incorrect" if they give our definitions instead of the program-specific ones. 

I have never heard of a child having this sort of confusion, certainly.  Latin grammar usually makes English grammar much more approachable.  But your child could be an outlier!

We've used R&S English all the way through 6th grade and part of 7th (so far), and my kiddos have zero trouble using R&S with Latin.  I think they dovetail beautifully, with one reinforcing the other!

In our home, we start R&S English in Grade 2 and Latin in Grade 3, if that makes any difference in our scenario.

Unless the dc has a language disability (like my ds, needing work on english) or something that makes acquiring a 2nd language hard, there really shouldn't be an issue. One of the major reasons to study latin is because it is the root of much of our english. The overlap is fine and expected. Discovering it will probably be interesting to the dc.

Yes, if it seems overwhelming or untimely, just wait. Also you could consider not doing the entirety of the R&S lesson if the dc catches on quickly or seems to be fatiguing. 

The grammar should be the same in both languages, for the most part. They reinforce each other. If you're talking about different definitions for a part of speech, just pick one and run with it. I certainly wouldn't make a child memorize two differently worded definitions for the same part of speech.

The two languages have some different grammar rules, but my children have never been confused by that.

No, I use Rod and Staff English with mine, plus start a little Prima Latina in 3rd grade, then much deeper Latin Grammar in 4th with Latina Christiana, and then move forward with both all of the way. THey totally reinforce each other. We did not get to anything that isn't the same in both languages until you get to indirect objects in Latin which isn't until 2nd Form (after PL, LC, and FF,) which take the dative case and are never prepositions. But by then the kids should be getting a stronger grasp. Once we hit 6th grade R&S we also got to the different tense names of English verbs which are slightly differently named than Latin. We also like a PP used this opportunity to line them up side by side to see the similarities and how they function next to each other- Latin next to English. The Latin tenses are memorized quite early if using a grammar heavy program, so when we got to them in English, they understood them and could get the slight differences easily.