Menu

Interesting-Apraxia

homemommy83

I just found out yesterday through paperwork my older sister stumbled upon that I had a severe phonological delay with moderate articulation disorder throughout my younger years- and it was never discussed in my home.  I also had a moderate gross motor delay comorbid.  

The reason that I find this interesting is that my fifth born also has Apraxia and was delayed in gross motor skills as well.  He is making amazing progress with his amazing speech pathologist.

Both of our fine motor skills, social skills, and building skills were advanced however.

What I find the most interesting is that looking at his testing vs. my testing is so similar- including language delays in using plurals, irregular verbs, and pronoun usage.  We even couldn't speak the same sounds at the same age- saying more advanced sounds yet being unable to say "easier" sounds based on the typical age of progression.

I remember getting pulled out of classes in elementary for speech, but it wasn't extremely frequent.  I did attend a public developmental preschool, but was told it was to be with my developmentally delayed twin brother.  He also had delays, but they included oddly the very opposite issues as he spoke well very young- his were social, fine motor, and memory issues.  I seemed to outgrow my difficulties, and he sadly still struggles some.

My mother has passed so I can't ask her questions, but I really wonder how it never came up in all the years of growing up.

Brenda

P.S. Thanks for reading as I was so shocked I needed to share.

• Like 3

When dd10 was a baby, she missed several developmental milestones.  We found out that she has a genetic birth defect -- and we also found out that I have the same defect.  It was kind of amazing to me to see my self in a new light.

• Like 3

My 5th child's skin was horribly dry no matter how much lotion I put on it. Her ankles pretty much bled from birth until she was a year old and I was always commenting to my mom about I didn't know what to do with her skin. Finally her doctor suggested is could be a milk allergy.  I cut out all milk from my diet (she was still nursing 5-6 times a day) and within a few days her ankles were healed.  Anyways after several months of complaining to my mom how hard a dairy free diet was to stick with and where did this allergy come from etc she casually mentioned, you know you were on a diary free diet as an infant.  Nope I had no idea.  Apparently she had to keep me dairy free for a couple of years because my skin was so bad.  And I was like "Mom, I've been fighting for the last year and half to figure out what is causing this, it never occurred to you to mention that piece of information before.  It would have helped to narrow this down."

When my 6th kid had growth issues, the very first thing we look at was milk allergy since we now knew there was family history there. And while that wasn't the only issue it was definitely one of the pieces.

It's just funny the things parents don't even think to tell their kids about.  In her mind the issue was long since resolved so it never occurred to her that it was something relevant that I should know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, homemommy83 said:

If you don't mind sharing- what was the defect?

Brenda

We have a defect called Noonan Syndrome.  When dd7 was born she was also diagnosed with it.  The geneticist did screen my first four children -- none of them has it. 

Dd10 and dd7 will have a 50 percent chance of passing the defect to their children.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

You know, DD had a mild delay diagnosis when she was little, and we didn't talk about it.  It wasn't a deep dark secret, but I also didn't want her to define herself as inferior.  I got input from two occupational therapists about how to address it, and it worked out fine.

I guess in my case it wasn't mild, but between 5-6 I made great gains.  At four years old the speech goal was 50 words. My son had less than 5 words at 3 and a half, but at four and a half says sentences- we literally taught him each sound than blending like Abeka phonics, than ending sounds-than he just began making jumps in his speech.

For me personally I thought it was odd that it never came up- as discussion of my twins issues were spoken openly, and I was told that I attended to comfort him-which clearly wasn't the case. 

I don't think that she saw it as a secret, as I was tip top of my class across the board from 1st grade on.   Apraxia of Speech has nothing to do with intellect, just motor planning-kwim (although many have some language delays to).  I just found it odd that it never came up that at 4 I spoke only a few one word answers, despite high receptive testing.

Brenda

P.S. I tell my son how hardworking and intelligent that he is, but he recognizes he has speech issues-of which he dearly loves his speech pathologist for her love and dedication to him.  

9 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

My 5th child's skin was horribly dry no matter how much lotion I put on it. Her ankles pretty much bled from birth until she was a year old and I was always commenting to my mom about I didn't know what to do with her skin. Finally her doctor suggested is could be a milk allergy.  I cut out all milk from my diet (she was still nursing 5-6 times a day) and within a few days her ankles were healed.  Anyways after several months of complaining to my mom how hard a dairy free diet was to stick with and where did this allergy come from etc she casually mentioned, you know you were on a diary free diet as an infant.  Nope I had no idea.  Apparently she had to keep me dairy free for a couple of years because my skin was so bad.  And I was like "Mom, I've been fighting for the last year and half to figure out what is causing this, it never occurred to you to mention that piece of information before.  It would have helped to narrow this down."

When my 6th kid had growth issues, the very first thing we look at was milk allergy since we now knew there was family history there. And while that wasn't the only issue it was definitely one of the pieces.

It's just funny the things parents don't even think to tell their kids about.  In her mind the issue was long since resolved so it never occurred to her that it was something relevant that I should know.

It is interesting to not bring something up when you have relevant information.  Laughing about our moms-lol.

6 minutes ago, Junie said:

We have a defect called Noonan Syndrome.  When dd7 was born she was also diagnosed with it.  The geneticist did screen my first four children -- none of them has it. 

Dd10 and dd7 will have a 50 percent chance of passing the defect to their children.

Thank you for sharing.  Genetics is fascinating to me.  

This is so very interesting. I grew up knowing that I a brace on my feet as an infant and baby. I couldn't walk with it, but my dad put a hinge in it so that I could crawl. They said the doctor thought that was very clever. I actually took the brace with me when we cleaned out my parents' house. I could see, though, if problems were addressed early on, that they might not come up often because everyone has moved on to the next stage of life. My brace does show in pictures, so I would have had that cue to ask at some point had I not already known, but with something that isn't visible, it makes sense we wouldn't even know what questions to ask.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TechWife said:

This is so very interesting. I grew up knowing that I a brace on my feet as an infant and baby. I couldn't walk with it, but my dad put a hinge in it so that I could crawl. They said the doctor thought that was very clever. I actually took the brace with me when we cleaned out my parents' house. I could see, though, if problems were addressed early on, that they might not come up often because everyone has moved on to the next stage of life. My brace does show in pictures, so I would have had that cue to ask at some point had I not already known, but with something that isn't visible, it makes sense we wouldn't even know what questions to ask.

It is sweet that they kept the brace too?

I don’t think I would bring up details of my older son’s speech delay unless he asked.  He can remember that he was in speech therapy.

Its not something I think of often, it’s 6 years in the past at this point.  

Also it’s very very possible that the testing paperwork was explained to your mother as being fairly minor, they may not have highlighted the scores.

Also it’s very very possible you did go to the pre-school to be with your brother.  You may not have qualified on your own.  Or, your mom might have made a different choice for you individually (she may have had several options for you, and chosen this one to have you go with your brother).  

I’m so sorry you don’t have the opportunity to talk about it with her now.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lecka said:

I don’t think I would bring up details of my older son’s speech delay unless he asked.  He can remember that he was in speech therapy.

Its not something I think of often, it’s 6 years in the past at this point.  

Also it’s very very possible that the testing paperwork was explained to your mother as being fairly minor, they may not have highlighted the scores.

Also it’s very very possible you did go to the pre-school to be with your brother.  You may not have qualified on your own.  Or, your mom might have made a different choice for you individually (she may have had several options for you, and chosen this one to have you go with your brother).  

I’m so sorry you don’t have the opportunity to talk about it with her now.  

The paperwork was very clear that it was a severe phonological problem with moderate articulation and overall he actually tested better than me- which is odd as throughout childhood he is the one who struggled.  The paperwork also stated that I was admitted because of my speech, language, and gross motor delays.  

I just find it odd that as a toddler/preschooler my delays were so pronounced and that my son has the exact same delays.  He is also showing quick marked improvement just like I did at 5, but he did it at 4.  

Also my older children, with exception of my 3rd born didn't follow the normal speech growth patterns but by 2 and a half were speaking.

My oldest son only had 5 words at 21 months-then was speaking sentences and reading very well at 24 months.  He didn't babble at all.  Only my 3rd/6th borns ever babbled as babies. My 5th born is the only one with lack of speech past 2 and a half though.

Brenda

P.S. I find it so interesting how families have similar experiences through the generations.