Menu

Pay for luggage or just go with an under seat?

DawnM

7 minutes ago, Calm37 said:

My son is just back from a trip that involved 5 different flights. He was "randomly selected" for extra scrutiny on all of them!

That happened to me, because I was flagged while getting the boarding passes for "all the way through."  At one airport I was advised by security to go back and get a new boarding pass so I wouldn't have to go through that on every leg.  Then the lady at the ticket counter had a fit and someone said the security person needs to get fired.  Another desk person came up and got me the new boarding pass and I hope nobody got fired ....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

What's amazing to me is how many issues come down to people issues. Like, we all admit that flying really really sucks (especially compared to the 80s and 90s---back when there was legroom, headroom, luggage room, real meals with silverware and napkins on long flights)---but if we're all going through this shared miserable experience together, can't the professionals doing their jobs be nice?  I understand that they probably come across some abusive people during the day because mean people are everywhere, but for the rest of us who are being patient and nice and complying with the rules.... We don't need to be verbally abused, herded like cattle, and made to feel that we are a problem.

What I remember from the 80's and early 90's was smoking sections on long flights.

I'll take every inconvenience we have now over an entire flight feeling like I couldn't breathe.

This was international, I don't know when smoking was banned on domestic flights...the last time I was in a plane with a smoking section was 1999, and that was a Middle Eastern airline.

31 minutes ago, Calm37 said:

My son is just back from a trip that involved 5 different flights. He was "randomly selected" for extra scrutiny on all of them!

That stinks. Every time I’ve had to go through the random scrutiny I’ve been fortunate to get polite agents. I’ve seen it go badly though. One lady yelled at the TSA agent the whole time and that didn’t help her at all and probably not the next several people that agent searched.  

Extra scrutiny five flights in a row would drive me crazy. I bet by the third flight your son was looking for the Punked camera!

1 minute ago, Annie G said:

That stinks. Every time I’ve had to go through the random scrutiny I’ve been fortunate to get polite agents. I’ve seen it go badly though. One lady yelled at the TSA agent the whole time and that didn’t help her at all and probably not the next several people that agent searched.  

Extra scrutiny five flights in a row would drive me crazy. I bet by the third flight your son was looking for the Punked camera!

Well, we have always teased him that he looks like a terrorist. So there's that. Also, at the last one his wife came over, and the TSA guy said, "Oh...you two are together?" and finished it up very quickly. So she learned a lesson from that to stick closer to him. We printed our passes at home, so he didn't get flagged at the desk. But he thought the "randomly selected" line was pretty humorous by the third time it happened.

• Like 1

I just got back from flying Delta to Costa Rica. Apparently now Delta doesn’t consider that an international flight, so we had to pay to check our bags. We always check a bag and carry on backpacks that fit under the seat, but these were the first flights that had seat spaces too small. Actually the spaces varied as my husband was able to fit his backpack, but my spaces looked like they were about 8 inches wide due to the legs of the chair. Luckily the attendants turned a blind eye to the backpack sticking out, but it made a cramped space even worse. I haven’t had luggage lost in years, so checking bags works, but as a cheap traveler, it bugs me to pay more when I wasn’t expecting it.

18 hours ago, Annie G said:

It’s so crazy how varied TSA experiences can be. I’ve had such good TSA experiences in the past year. Kindness, patience with inexperienced travelers, efficient but not rude are what I’ve seen. I haven’t had a bad TSA experience in years but I know others have. 

To be fair, we have had some very very terrible experiences but our home airport TSA people are awesome and friendly.  I have never seen an agent or traveler get out of sorts going through it.  Now customs agents.....that's a whole new can of terrible.  Whew!  We have never had a good experience.  Detroit was the worst I have ever seen.  Agents yelling at and shoving elderly people who don't speak English.  Welcome to the USA. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 2:19 PM, maize said:

What I remember from the 80's and early 90's was smoking sections on long flights.

I'll take every inconvenience we have now over an entire flight feeling like I couldn't breathe.

This was international, I don't know when smoking was banned on domestic flights...the last time I was in a plane with a smoking section was 1999, and that was a Middle Eastern airline.

I remember those flights as well.

In fact, even into the late 80's, flying within Indonesia, it was a smoking flight.  It was miserable.