Menu

Pay for luggage or just go with an under seat?

DawnM

UGH!  I just bought a ticket to go to the West Coast this summer.  I will be gone 2 full weeks.  I will have access to washing machines.  Because I am going to 3 destinations and am flying all over the place, I had to book a multi-city ticket, which has me on 3 different airlines.

I didn't realize that each airline has their own restrictions.  Two legs are United's basic ticket, meaning only an under the seat bag or pay $25 per flight for a checked bag.

I don't have an under the seat bag, so that will cost, although they aren't super expensive.   Just trying to figure out if I can make it with just that or if I should pay the extra and just take a bag.

And it says ONE personal item, that can fit under the seat.....so does that mean no purse in addition to that bag?  And what about my CPAP?  That is ok in addition, right?

OY!  I like saving money, but not sure I can do this.

• Like 1

I don’t think I understand. You cannot have a carry-on that goes in the overhead? And then one “personal item”? The way I did it was a rolling carry-on that seeved as my main luggage, and a backpack that served as my personal item (no separate purse). If you can do this, I recommend, though I don’t know how much room a CPAP takes. 

• Like 1

United Economy is very restrictive in that they only allow one small personal item, not a carry-on bag.  Regular tickets get you a personal item and a carry-on bag.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/basic-economy.aspx

Be sure to note the size before you buy something, because it is smaller than many of the rolling carry-ons. It does, however, say medical devices are allowed, though I wonder about the CPAP since it isn’t used on the plane.  They may expect you to check it.

• Like 1

We ran into this for our trip up to Bogota, the first week of May.   Two different airlines with extremely different allowances/restrictions on the route/fare basis we were on with them, with regards to checked and carry-on baggage. We were only gone for 3 nights, so we ended up only with one  Carry On each and the girls had their purses. I used my Laptop bag and had it stuffed full, because I couldn't find my normal Carry On bag, which was in plain sight after we returned from the trip. We didn't even take a Laptop.  Because of a critical scheduling issue (DD had to be back here very early the  day before, so she would be here to take the SAT the next day) the first reservation I made was on LAN Colombia (now called LATAM) and that was our return flight to Cali.  Google Flights found the combination of schedule (608 A.M. departure and fare). 

Well, guess what?  If you want to check a bag LAN Colombia charges you, but if you pay up-front when you make the reservation, there's a discount.  And, yes, it said one (1) Carry-On bag up to 8 Kilos in weight.  So, we were forced to go with their restrictions, to avoid paying extra. And, I wondered, if I brought a Laptop would they charge me for an extra Carry On or make me pay to check it or what would they do? Like you, I was deeply concerned about the Carry On restrictions for our flight/fare basis on LAN Colombia for that flight from Bogota to Cali. 

On the way up to Bogota, we went on my favorite airline, Avianca. Their lowest fare on that route would have permitted each of us to check one bag weighing up to 23 kilos.  I probably wouldn't have worried about taking a Laptop, if we had gone both ways with Avianca, but the combination of schedule and fare put us on LAN Colombia for the very critical return flight. 

You must go with the lowest common denominator, which is the most restrictive regulations for a particular flight segment.

Possibly you can Chat with United and ask your questions of them.  As it turned out, our return flight from Bogota at 608 that Friday morning had a very light load and I suspect they would have been lenient with us, if we had more stuff to carry on, but there's no guarantee of that.  The Agent at the Gate can stop you and then after you are aboard the aircraft the Flight Attendants can stop you. And one does not want to, and cannot, argue with them.

The CPAP is a Medical Device and hopefully would come under some exemption, but I am not at all sure about that and that's another question for you to ask United. Depending on the size of the CPAP, I would suggest that if possible that it is under the seat in front of you, with your documents, medicines, etc. Anything critical should be where you can see it and "protect" it with your feet.

Women have the advantage of being able to carry large purses and I do not believe any airline would consider that to be the Carry On, although it might be stuffed with clothes and other things that a woman doesn't normally carry in her purse.

We went "Mobile" on this trip. 3 people with 3 cell phones and one Tablet, and that was OK for 3 nights away from home. DD did some studying with her Tablet one afternoon, before the School Fair the night before our early morning return flight.

My worry with LAN Colombia was that if I had the Under Seat bag and another one to put in the Overhead bin, there was going to be a big issue and I could not fight with them over something like that.  I had read their regulations. 

Partially OT: Sometimes, and this can be very time consuming, it is better to research the different fares available for a particular flight and pay a little more money, to get more stuff and in the end it can end up being less expensive.

When I was in the Check Out on the LAN Colombia web site at the end of April, there were games.  One game was about seat assignments.  We paid approximately $5USD extra (total for 3 passengers) to reserve seats we like.  I later suspected that had we waited until their web check in, we could have done that for free, 48 hours before departure.  But, we paid for the seat assignments.  

Avianca allows web check in 24 hours before departure and when we did that and printed our Boarding Passes, their computer had assigned us (as it usually does) 3 seats together that we were quite happy with and we didn't change them.

On the return from Bogota, we had no Printer so we did the Web Check In with our cell phones and had the image that allows one to Board the aircraft, without having a paper Boarding Pass.  

OT: I begin on Google Flights and then they send me to the web site of the airline(s) involved to make the reservation and purchase the tickets.

You are fortunate that they have Washing Machines where you will be staying. Enjoy your trip!

On my recent flight booking experience, you get a single personal item that fits under the seat unless you pay extra. Even the regular airlines (United) are moving to this budget model. I think American may be the same way.

Delta still allows you a free carry on that you can put in the overhead bin on most flights. Some of the smaller flights require you to gate check your small suitcases. 

• Like 1

I use packing cubes and a medium one will fit a week’s worth of my clothes. That easily fits in my backpack and leaves room for my iPad and other items and fits under the seat.  But I’m a light packer and it doesn’t stress me.  If you don’t travel often, purchasing an under the seat bag or packing cubes might not be worth it, and you might be better off checking your bag.  

They will likely accept your cpap and put it in an overhead bin, but don’t put anything else in the same container with it. I’d also approach the gate staff before boarding to discuss your cpap so they know why you have two items. Your fare type will board last and the gate crew will be vigilantly monitoring anyone with more than one item unless it’s a bag with only food in it. 

‘Have a great trip!

• Like 2

Have you ever seen anyone actually enforce the fitting under the seat rule?  Because there's no way *any* of those roller bags that stuff up all of the overhead compartments by the time the plane is only half full could possibly fit under an airplane seat.

Airlines should make people pay to take those things on board, not to have them in the cargo area.

I vote for using your regular bag.  Two weeks is a long time.  Think of the extra money as what the airline *should* have charged you but didn't because they don't know how to structure fares properly ?

• Like 4

Pay for the luggage.  It's not worth the stress of squeezing 2 weeks into an under-seat bag, plus there is a chance they will still say your carry-on is luggage and charge you at the gate.  I've had that happen to me.  They make their money doing that to people.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, EKS said:

Have you ever seen anyone actually enforce the fitting under the seat rule?  Because there's no way *any* of those roller bags that stuff up all of the overhead compartments by the time the plane is only half full could possibly fit under an airplane seat.

Airlines should make people pay to take those things on board, not to have them in the cargo area.

I vote for using your regular bag.  Two weeks is a long time.  Think of the extra money as what the airline *should* have charged you but didn't because they don't know how to structure fares properly ?

I have seen it on United and American in the past six months several times. That class boards last and they walked down the line and eyed everyone’s stuff. I saw them make a lady check her bag because she also had a purse. To be fair, both would not fit under the seat. I have also been on the jetway and heard them call down that the remaining passengers were only cleared for under the seat storage and watched the staff enforce it even though there was room in the overhead.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Annie G said:

I have seen it on United and American in the past six months several times. 

You're saying that you've seen them enforce the "all carry on items, including giant roller bags, need to be able to fit under the seat in front of you (even if you end up putting them in the overhead bin)" rule?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EKS said:

You're saying that you've seen them enforce the "all carry on items, including giant roller bags, need to be able to fit under the seat in front of you (even if you end up putting them in the overhead bin)" rule?  

I’ve seen them enforce the special fare class that allows you to only carry on one item and it must fit under the seat.  The way I saw it was that they stopped and questioned people with more than one item (such as a purse and a bag) and they watched passengers with this fare (who board last) to be sure they did not use overhead bin space.  I’ve never seen them measure bags for this fare class.  I have seen this both at O’Hare and Atlanta this calendar year. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

On my recent flight booking experience, you get a single personal item that fits under the seat unless you pay extra. Even the regular airlines (United) are moving to this budget model. I think American may be the same way.

Delta still allows you a free carry on that you can put in the overhead bin on most flights. Some of the smaller flights require you to gate check your small suitcases. 

Yes, American is this way now. You can buy a regular (1 carry-on + 1 personal item) ticket, but there is a ticket prices that includes one bag only. 

32 minutes ago, EKS said:

What I saw on my last flight was them making anyone with a roller bag gate check their luggage. I had a backpack and they didn't give it a second glance. Roller bags for the most part will not fit under any seat, so you have to pay for overhead bin space and sometimes you will be asked to gate check. 

If you want to put something under the seat, I have used this Osprey Porter 30 successfully. It would be a tight fit for two weeks unless you're a minimal packer. I made due for a week of winter clothes. 

I also used this bag Hynes Eagle 38L for my last flight. I did not try to fit it under the seat, but it would have fit if not too stuffed. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, elegantlion said:

Yes, American is this way now. You can buy a regular (1 carry-on + 1 personal item) ticket, but there is a ticket prices that includes one bag only. 

What I saw on my last flight was them making anyone with a roller bag gate check their luggage. I had a backpack and they didn't give it a second glance. Roller bags for the most part will not fit under any seat, so you have to pay for overhead bin space and sometimes you will be asked to gate check. 

If you want to put something under the seat, I have used this Osprey Porter 30 successfully. It would be a tight fit for two weeks unless you're a minimal packer. I made due for a week of winter clothes. 

I also used this bag Hynes Eagle 38L for my last flight. I did not try to fit it under the seat, but it would have fit if not too stuffed. 

Yeah there are a lot of new bags designed to fit under the seats. Bed, Bath, and Beyond has a whole display dedicated to them. This new fare class has quickly spread and these new bags are NOT the same as the regular carry on bags, as you know.  Maybe that’s what’s confusing some people- bags designed to fit in the overhead carryon are not going to fit under the seat. 

Do you prefer the Osprey or the Hynes Eagle better? I do fine w a backpack but dh wants a bag designed for under the seat and I’m having trouble deciding what to buy for him. 

• Like 2

All airlines say medical devices don't count against you in terms of luggage, and this includes a CPAP.  Although carrying a backpack and a CPAP would be quite cumbersome.  

I was looking at the rolling under the seat models, Costco has one for $25.  

And again, I won't be carrying 2 weeks worth of clothing, I will have full access to washing machines.  I will be staying with my parents and my best friend for the duration.

But I may opt to pay for those 2 flights to check the bag.  Still deciding.  UGH.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Yeah there are a lot of new bags designed to fit under the seats. Bed, Bath, and Beyond has a whole display dedicated to them. This new fare class has quickly spread and these new bags are NOT the same as the regular carry on bags, as you know.  Maybe that’s what’s confusing some people- bags designed to fit in the overhead carryon are not going to fit under the seat. 

Do you prefer the Osprey or the Hynes Eagle better? I do fine w a backpack but dh wants a bag designed for under the seat and I’m having trouble deciding what to buy for him. 

The Osprey is so much better in quality. I wish they made a 35L version. They have a 46 L version, but it would not fit under the seat and it's max carry-on size. They Hynes held up better than I thought on my trip. The backpack straps were comfortable. The handle is not padded, however and the fabric is thinner. The zippers are decent, but if you travel a lot, I would recommend a higher quality bag. I use Eagle Creek packing cubes, usually two mediums for a trip. 

When I took the Osprey, I had it stuffed. It was a bit harder to get out the backpack straps. It also has a hip belt, which you have to pull out a bit to connect the backpack straps. You can compress the bag a lot, which is nice. I wish it were just a tad bigger. If you're a minimal packer, you could get by with the Porter 30. 

• Like 2

I just picked up an under seat bag from costco for about $30?   at most.  it also has a laptop pocket.  

eta: I'll probably pick one up for dh so we both have one.   I bought one for dd several years ago - she ended up giving it to dudeling.

I expect to still have to have a checked bag 'cause I plan on shopping!

• Like 2

If it's only $25 to check a bag (not a carry-on size but an actual checked piece), then just go ahead and check the bag. You may pick up souveniers or have gifts you'd like to take or something. The flexibility will be less stressful. An underseat bag isn't something you'll be re-using a lot. If you were saying fit it all in a carry-on, sure. You'd get a lot of use out of a carry-on size and use it more ways. 

And yes, packing cubes are awesome. I always use them now. With so many stops, they'll keep you more comfortable, as you'll be able to unpack your things, find exactly what you need, and repack a couple days later, just by pulling the cubes in and out. LOVE packing cubes. 

I think getting your clothes in for a week or 3-4 days or whatever you're taking is more a mathematical thing. If you wear thin clothing, it might pack down. If you wear jeans and thicker stuff, it's not going to pack down so well. So pull out your stuff and measure. You could order the cubes on amazon and pack everything up in them for a trial. Then you'll know how much space you need in your luggage.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

If it's only $25 to check a bag (not a carry-on size but an actual checked piece), then just go ahead and check the bag. You may pick up souveniers or have gifts you'd like to take or something. The flexibility will be less stressful. An underseat bag isn't something you'll be re-using a lot. If you were saying fit it all in a carry-on, sure. You'd get a lot of use out of a carry-on size and use it more ways. 

And yes, packing cubes are awesome. I always use them now. With so many stops, they'll keep you more comfortable, as you'll be able to unpack your things, find exactly what you need, and repack a couple days later, just by pulling the cubes in and out. LOVE packing cubes. 

I think getting your clothes in for a week or 3-4 days or whatever you're taking is more a mathematical thing. If you wear thin clothing, it might pack down. If you wear jeans and thicker stuff, it's not going to pack down so well. So pull out your stuff and measure. You could order the cubes on amazon and pack everything up in them for a trial. Then you'll know how much space you need in your luggage.

I already have a carry on and packing cubes.  I do travel a lot.  I just haven't done the "underseat only" thing before.  And I *CAN* make it on just an underseat, I am not asking if you think my personal belongings will fit......it is more of a "hmmmm.......what do you think I should do?  make it work or fork out the extra $$" thing.

• Like 2

The more I think about it, the more I think a backpack will def. not work.  I will have my CPAP, which isn't a tiny bag, and I have five flights (five separate destinations), three with rather lengthy layovers.  I will need something that can roll. 

• Like 4

DawnM  some of the responses in your thread have confirmed the worst concerns I had about our flight on LAN Colombia (LATAM) on 04 May 2018, from Bogota to Cali.  Obviously, this is NOT something that is only going on here in Colombia and it is NOT something that is going on in what I consider to be very low cost carriers who are known for adding extra charges for everything except the use of the restroom aboard the aircraft.

We have an airline like that here in Colombia (VivaColombia) and there are a bunch of them in the USA. SPIRIT is one of them.  LAN Colombia is NOT an airline that I consider to be in the same league as VivaColombia or SPIRIT. We do not fly on VivaColombia or SPIRIT. My wife has a friend who lives in CA who comes down here once or twice a year on SPIRIT.   She knows how to navigate their restrictions and I believe she has clothes and shoes, etc., here in Colombia so she doesn't need to bring much with her.

Probably as some other responders have suggested, it will be best for you to pay for one piece of Checked Luggage.  Possibly, if you go to the airline web site and do that now, there will be a discount, for doing it in advance.  If it is like our flight on Avianca on May 1st, you can print out the Baggage Tag(s) you need for your checked luggage and have it ready to drop off when you get to the airports where you will check your bag.  We were offered that opportunity when we did the Web Check In for our Avianca flight.  You should have that option too and that will save you time when you arrive in the airports and then you can go directly to the Security Check.

NOTE: I would not, under ANY circumstances, check your CPAP machine or your medications or anything else that is critical, on any airline, on any flight, anywhere in the world.

For our reservations in the future, I will try to remember this thread and try to remember to check out the baggage allowances (checked and carry on) for the different fare basis that are available on the flight(s) I am contemplating booking, BEFORE I click to buy.

1 hour ago, Annie G said:

I’ve seen them enforce the special fare class that allows you to only carry on one item and it must fit under the seat.  

I have not flown on an airline that has this particular fare structure.  That's good though--I'm glad they're doing it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DawnM said:

UGH!  I just bought a ticket to go to the West Coast this summer.  I will be gone 2 full weeks.  I will have access to washing machines.  Because I am going to 3 destinations and am flying all over the place, I had to book a multi-city ticket, which has me on 3 different airlines.

I didn't realize that each airline has their own restrictions.  Two legs are United's basic ticket, meaning only an under the seat bag or pay $25 per flight for a checked bag.

I don't have an under the seat bag, so that will cost, although they aren't super expensive.   Just trying to figure out if I can make it with just that or if I should pay the extra and just take a bag.

And it says ONE personal item, that can fit under the seat.....so does that mean no purse in addition to that bag?  And what about my CPAP?  That is ok in addition, right?

OY!  I like saving money, but not sure I can do this.

The personal item IS your purse. So yes if you have a different bag for "Personal" then no purse.  I usually take a backpack on the plane and wear a waistpouch -- that's my "Two bags" (One personal bag and one other) The CPAP should be okay in addition. Medical.

For a two week trip (Even with washing available) I'd pay for luggage. Especially having to cart around a CPAP as well it is going to be difficult to have to carry.  (My husband has a CPAP. And even with the carrying case/strap, it's bulky in airports. ANd you don't want to crush/break it)

DO NOT CHECK YOUR CPAP. You probably know that already.

When I got stuck, I was carrying a small bag (which fit within the under-seat size checker) and a small backpack which I considered my "personal item."  I did not have a separate purse or computer bag.  I was not allowed to do this.  They made me check one or the other and pay a penalty price for waiting until I got to the gate to check it.  (I don't remember which airline this was - it was over in the British Isles - but I don't trust any of them any more, LOL.)

This past year I saw some people forced to check their carry-ons over a similar rule (different airline / location).  It all seemed rather arbitrary who had to check and who didn't.  I just wouldn't want to fuss with it.  Too much stress to save a few bucks.  (Especially if you'd have to buy the under-seat bag in the first place.)

According to ADA, a CPAP is a medical device and does not count as a carryon.  DO NOT CHECK IT.

I would carry a large purse that can double as an under the seat bag (ie carry a spare outfit + toiletries + meds) and check the other bag. I normally travel carry-on only, for any length of trip, but my last flight with United has me feeling pretty jaded about their capacity to have adequate space for carry on bags. About 50% of my flights on United seem to have flight attendants from Hades (and the other half are completely nice). 

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

I already have a carry on and packing cubes.  I do travel a lot.  I just haven't done the "underseat only" thing before.  And I *CAN* make it on just an underseat, I am not asking if you think my personal belongings will fit......it is more of a "hmmmm.......what do you think I should do?  make it work or fork out the extra $$" thing.

If you know you can comfortably do it with the underseat, I would simply to make it easier with so many transitions. That way you aren't frustrated if your bags don't make it on connectors. 

I just flew on American last week.  On the trip back home, several passengers' carry on bags had to be checked because the flight was booked and there was no room in overhead compartment.  On the plane up, there was very little room under the seat for a bag.  There was more room under the seat on the flight back, but I wouldn't count on having a plane with enough space under the seat.  We were allowed 1 carry on and one small personal bag (think purse or messenger bag).  Also with TSA 3-1-1 rule, you might want a checked bag anyway

• Like 1

Personally I'd go just the personal item, I did 3 weeks in Europe in late Autumn in a carry on.... domestic and summer I could, and would be happy to, limit to a personal item. I've done 5 days at Disneyland out of a backpack. Cut your purse to a smaller bag that fits inside your personal item. Choose clothes that are lightweight and interchangeable (Think capsule wardrobe - things that mix and match easily to make a variety of outfits with fewer items). Wear your heaviest shoes and a jacket/sweater on the plane rather than putting them in the bag, then pack a pair of light sandals or flats as spare shoes.

But the C-Pap does mix it up - it doesn't count against your baggage allowance (as a medical device it has an exemption) but could be a hassle to carry. Can you get a dedicated bag from a medical supply company for it and all its accessories? IF the c-PAP is a hassle I'd look for a rolling bag that falls into the personal item category (but be aware that the wheels ARE taking up space you could use for STUFF. 

I am flying next weekend on Spirit and bought the personal-item-only ticket.  My trip is only a weekend, and we will have a washer and dryer, so I expect it will be fine.  It saved me $100/ticket. I consider packing light one of our family values, so I am excited about the challenge.  So my vote is to go personal-item-only.

9 hours ago, EKS said:

Have you ever seen anyone actually enforce the fitting under the seat rule?  Because there's no way *any* of those roller bags that stuff up all of the overhead compartments by the time the plane is only half full could possibly fit under an airplane seat.?

As others have said, the "carry on" is the roller bag that goes in the overhead.  The "personal item" is the backpack or purse or tote bag or whatever that goes under the seat.  There are now fare classes that do not allow a carry on, although they do allow a personal item.  

5 hours ago, SKL said:

When I got stuck, I was carrying a small bag (which fit within the under-seat size checker) and a small backpack which I considered my "personal item."  I did not have a separate purse or computer bag.  I was not allowed to do this.  They made me check one or the other and pay a penalty price for waiting until I got to the gate to check it.  

I have always understood it to be that the underseat bag is the personal item.  So if you could put your backpack into the small bag (or vice versa) you would have been ok.  But if they are two separate things, they can't both fit under the seat, so that's where the problem lies.  I am assuming here that you either had a ticket that didn't allow a carry-on (aka overhead bit) item, or that you had a carry-on roller bag as well as the other two bags.  I have often heard them announce at the gate that if you have two personal things, you need to stuff one into the other or you will be asked to gate-check one.

3 hours ago, HollyDay said:

I just flew on American last week.  On the trip back home, several passengers' carry on bags had to be checked because the flight was booked and there was no room in overhead compartment.  On the plane up, there was very little room under the seat for a bag.  There was more room under the seat on the flight back, but I wouldn't count on having a plane with enough space under the seat.  We were allowed 1 carry on and one small personal bag (think purse or messenger bag).  Also with TSA 3-1-1 rule, you might want a checked bag anyway

This. If you are not in the first three boarding groups and the flight is full, plan on not having any overhead room.  It's totally messed up.  We had three carryons between the six of us (and no other luggage at all) and PTL that two of our carryons were small enough to stash under seats.

4 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

Personally I'd go just the personal item, I did 3 weeks in Europe in late Autumn in a carry on.... domestic and summer I could, and would be happy to, limit to a personal item. I've done 5 days at Disneyland out of a backpack. Cut your purse to a smaller bag that fits inside your personal item. Choose clothes that are lightweight and interchangeable (Think capsule wardrobe - things that mix and match easily to make a variety of outfits with fewer items). Wear your heaviest shoes and a jacket/sweater on the plane rather than putting them in the bag, then pack a pair of light sandals or flats as spare shoes.

But the C-Pap does mix it up - it doesn't count against your baggage allowance (as a medical device it has an exemption) but could be a hassle to carry. Can you get a dedicated bag from a medical supply company for it and all its accessories? IF the c-PAP is a hassle I'd look for a rolling bag that falls into the personal item category (but be aware that the wheels ARE taking up space you could use for STUFF. 

I have a bag that came with it.  I was just saying I can't carry a backpack and that very easily.

I flew United in February.  I don't even know if I could have gotten luggage made for under the seat into the space.  It was SOOOO tight!  The seats were SOOO close together.  I am not one to feel claustrophobic, but I did on this flight.  I could not bend down to get to my purse under the seat.  I had to move it with my legs from under the seat in front of me and then contort myself just to reach it on the floor.  I'm not sure a small suitcase would even be able to be wedged in the space just because the seats were so close.  I would just pay for the carryon personally.  I hate flying anyway, but this particular flight was miserable.  I couldn't even cross my legs and I'm a thinner person who's 5'6".

Dh flies about every other week for business and our whole family travels by plane very frequently, almost exclusively United as that is the only airline that services our nearest airport.  We used to be die-hard carry-on people, not so much due to cost as we can check bags for free because dh is a club member and I have a United Visa, but more due to saving time at our destination airport and preventing lost luggage woes.  With the most recent changes, we have gone to checking luggage....even dh who was the most resistant to changing.  It is just too stressful dealing with the at-the-gate luggage drama.  Now we can relax a little and board last without worrying that the overhead bins will be full.  Even if we had to pay, that would be worth it.  On the bigger flights, this can mean 45 minutes less time crammed into a hot can with a bunch of miserable people on the verge of breakdown. 

It is getting to the point where air travel is so stressful that we are passing on some travel opportunities.  Too many times I have said, "it can't get worse, right?"  But then they find a way to make it even more miserable.  I'm not sure what they could possibly do next but I am confident they will find something.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, justasque said:

As others have said, the "carry on" is the roller bag that goes in the overhead.  The "personal item" is the backpack or purse or tote bag or whatever that goes under the seat.  There are now fare classes that do not allow a carry on, although they do allow a personal item.  

I have always understood it to be that the underseat bag is the personal item.  So if you could put your backpack into the small bag (or vice versa) you would have been ok.  But if they are two separate things, they can't both fit under the seat, so that's where the problem lies.  I am assuming here that you either had a ticket that didn't allow a carry-on (aka overhead bit) item, or that you had a carry-on roller bag as well as the other two bags.  I have often heard them announce at the gate that if you have two personal things, you need to stuff one into the other or you will be asked to gate-check one.

No, a carry-on was supposedly included as long as it fit.  I've traveled a lot and in the past, it was normal for people to be able to carry say a purse and a carry-on.  In fact, women usually got on with a carry-on, computer bag, AND purse (the computer bag was their personal item, the purse wasn't even considered).  Most women treat their purse like an extension of themselves.  Nobody I know would have treated a purse / small purse-sized backpack as an additional carry-on - until the recent changes.

Sad thing was that I had bought that bag combo specifically to be able to carry on ... and the small backpack worn on my front took up less space than a lot of people's bellies.  ?  But money is money, and airlines want more of it.

21 hours ago, SKL said:

When I got stuck, I was carrying a small bag (which fit within the under-seat size checker) and a small backpack which I considered my "personal item."  I did not have a separate purse or computer bag.  I was not allowed to do this.  They made me check one or the other and pay a penalty price for waiting until I got to the gate to check it.  (I don't remember which airline this was - it was over in the British Isles - but I don't trust any of them any more, LOL.)

This past year I saw some people forced to check their carry-ons over a similar rule (different airline / location).  It all seemed rather arbitrary who had to check and who didn't.  I just wouldn't want to fuss with it.  Too much stress to save a few bucks.  (Especially if you'd have to buy the under-seat bag in the first place.)

When they started charging for luggage, people changed their behavior to carry more onto the planes.  Thus filling up the overhead bins, etc. and making for more problems with luggage inside the airplanes.  So the airplanes started clamping down on those rules as well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

When they started charging for luggage, people changed their behavior to carry more onto the planes.  Thus filling up the overhead bins, etc. and making for more problems with luggage inside the airplanes.  So the airplanes started clamping down on those rules as well.

What I was carrying was not going in any overhead bin.  But I know that isn't your point.

My point in posting is that we can try to plan for efficiency and it can fail us / backfire.  Having learned my lesson the hard way, I now believe it isn't worth the extra stress.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SKL said:

What I was carrying was not going in any overhead bin.  But I know that isn't your point.

My point in posting is that we can try to plan for efficiency and it can fail us / backfire.  Having learned my lesson the hard way, I now believe it isn't worth the extra stress.

Exactly. I’ve been mostly doing the under the seat thing for about the past year even when I am officially ticketed to be allowed overhead bin space. But my current backpack might one day not fit the requirements on some random flight I book. Who knows, right? Some planes have large overhead bins while others have noticeably smaller ones, and the same goes for the under the seat sizes.  It takes some of the fun out of traveling when rules unexpectedly change.

Last fall I flew to a quilt retreat and I carried my late mother’s 75 year old vintage featherweight machine on the plane. It’s tiny. A flight attendant tried to take it from me to check because I was late boarding (this was a connecting flight and I was rushing to make the connection and ended up boarding at the same time as the passengers ticketed with ‘only one item, under the seat only”).  I showed my boarding pass to indicate I was allowed to bring both my backpack and the machine. She held the line up checking into it, and chastised me for not boarding with my earlier group. The next attendant I saw- 10 feet down the aisle- kindly found a safe spot for my machine and was exceptionally kind. You just can’t tell which kind of customer service you[re going to get! I wasn’t about to let them toss that thing into the cargo hold!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, skimomma said:

Dh flies about every other week for business and our whole family travels by plane very frequently, almost exclusively United as that is the only airline that services our nearest airport.  We used to be die-hard carry-on people, not so much due to cost as we can check bags for free because dh is a club member and I have a United Visa, but more due to saving time at our destination airport and preventing lost luggage woes.  With the most recent changes, we have gone to checking luggage....even dh who was the most resistant to changing.  It is just too stressful dealing with the at-the-gate luggage drama.  Now we can relax a little and board last without worrying that the overhead bins will be full.  Even if we had to pay, that would be worth it.  On the bigger flights, this can mean 45 minutes less time crammed into a hot can with a bunch of miserable people on the verge of breakdown. 

It is getting to the point where air travel is so stressful that we are passing on some travel opportunities.  Too many times I have said, "it can't get worse, right?"  But then they find a way to make it even more miserable.  I'm not sure what they could possibly do next but I am confident they will find something.

I have started checking bags more often to reduce headaches at security.  The less I have to fumble with at security (and the less that may be questioned), the easier travel is.  I was flying a couple of weeks ago and the security line was a mess.  There were requirements for getting through security that I had never experienced before and these requirements were not posted.  There was simply a woman yelling at people for not complying.  Any electronics other than a phone had to be out of your bag and in a bin by itself--this meant every kindle, every camera, etc.  If it was in a case she yelled at people.  If your camera and the camera case were in the same bin she yelled at you.  Your shoes had to be on the belt, not in a bin.  Items were to be 12 inches apart on the belt (she yelled if you hadn't put everything on the belt yet, but yelled if there was less than 12 inches between items; there wasn't room to do both of these things.)  ALL FOOD ITEMS HAD TO BE OUT OF YOUR BAGS.  This included everything down to cracker, mints, and chewing gum--if it went in your mouth it had to be out of your bag.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jdahlquist said:

I have started checking bags more often to reduce headaches at security.  The less I have to fumble with at security (and the less that may be questioned), the easier travel is.  I was flying a couple of weeks ago and the security line was a mess.  There were requirements for getting through security that I had never experienced before and these requirements were not posted.  There was simply a woman yelling at people for not complying.  Any electronics other than a phone had to be out of your bag and in a bin by itself--this meant every kindle, every camera, etc.  If it was in a case she yelled at people.  If your camera and the camera case were in the same bin she yelled at you.  Your shoes had to be on the belt, not in a bin.  Items were to be 12 inches apart on the belt (she yelled if you hadn't put everything on the belt yet, but yelled if there was less than 12 inches between items; there wasn't room to do both of these things.)  ALL FOOD ITEMS HAD TO BE OUT OF YOUR BAGS.  This included everything down to cracker, mints, and chewing gum--if it went in your mouth it had to be out of your bag.  

Our last flight TSA check involved huge drama over a tube of chapstick 14yo dd had forgotten was in her bag.  I thought at one point that they were going to arrest her.

Yeah, my kid had to throw away a souvenir from Australia because it had a little bit of water in it.  (It was a fish globe thingy.)  We also got the stink-eye because we forgot we had some hotel skin lotion samples in a side pocket of a backpack.  Luckily I could blame these on my kid who looks young and innocent, LOL.

But more to the point ... you might want to bring back something that isn't allowed in a carry-on.  Another reason to just bite the bullet and check the bag.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, plansrme said:

This pretty much summarizes every recent experience with TSA.  I guess it's a good career if you like to yell at people.

It’s so crazy how varied TSA experiences can be. I’ve had such good TSA experiences in the past year. Kindness, patience with inexperienced travelers, efficient but not rude are what I’ve seen. I haven’t had a bad TSA experience in years but I know others have. 

• Like 1

What's amazing to me is how many issues come down to people issues. Like, we all admit that flying really really sucks (especially compared to the 80s and 90s---back when there was legroom, headroom, luggage room, real meals with silverware and napkins on long flights)---but if we're all going through this shared miserable experience together, can't the professionals doing their jobs be nice?  I understand that they probably come across some abusive people during the day because mean people are everywhere, but for the rest of us who are being patient and nice and complying with the rules.... We don't need to be verbally abused, herded like cattle, and made to feel that we are a problem.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Annie G said:

It’s so crazy how varied TSA experiences can be. I’ve had such good TSA experiences in the past year. Kindness, patience with inexperienced travelers, efficient but not rude are what I’ve seen. I haven’t had a bad TSA experience in years but I know others have. 

My son is just back from a trip that involved 5 different flights. He was "randomly selected" for extra scrutiny on all of them!

10 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

What's amazing to me is how many issues come down to people issues. Like, we all admit that flying really really sucks (especially compared to the 80s and 90s---back when there was legroom, headroom, luggage room, real meals with silverware and napkins on long flights)---but if we're all going through this shared miserable experience together, can't the professionals doing their jobs be nice?  I understand that they probably come across some abusive people during the day because mean people are everywhere, but for the rest of us who are being patient and nice and complying with the rules.... We don't need to be verbally abused, herded like cattle, and made to feel that we are a problem.

In their defense I guess - if you had to process thousands of humans per hour through your checkpoint, it would get difficult to see each one as an individual.  And half of the people there are in a hurry, impatient, and not treating the TSA staff as individuals with feelings either.  Everyone wants an exception because they didn't allow enough time to get through security and find their gate before boarding time.  But miss anything in the rush, and ....  It's got to be one of the most stressful jobs ever.

I wouldn't want that job, that's for sure.

That said - I rarely have any problems with airport security people's behavior or attitudes.  If I ever do, I tend not to remember as some other travel drama comes up soon enough.  ?