Menu

Help us name our new silver puppy!!

tammyw

We are getting a platinum silver toy boy poodle! This is a huge deal because none of us has ever had a dog before and my kids have wanted one forever. He will be probably 7 pounds full grown.

Weve so far narrowed the name search to one - Oliver (Ollie). 

But I want to make sure it’s the best name. So I’d love suggestions. I really prefer names with two syllables (or three would be okay too). 

I don’t have good pictures yet and we won’t get him for another month, but we want to settle on a name so the breeder can start calling him by it.

Any great ideas?

14 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I've always said that I'd like to have a dog named Ollie some day. So . . . I guess I'm an enabler. LOL!

But I'm also a big fan of matching the name to the pet. So you might want to give it a week or so and see what seems to fit.

He will be six months old when we get him and I’d love for him to start getting used to his name before we get him.

i think we are also supposed to put our scent on a toy and blanket and send it for him so he will get to know us before hand, which I think is a great idea!

49 minutes ago, tammyw said:

He will be six months old when we get him and I’d love for him to start getting used to his name before we get him.

i think we are also supposed to put our scent on a toy and blanket and send it for him so he will get to know us before hand, which I think is a great idea!

Most dogs (and cats) are super smart and highly adaptable. There's really no need to worry about getting him used to a name. They learn quickly. I've always been very prone to adding nicknames as pets age, and they've all learned to respond to all their names with zero effort on my part. At six months old I assume his breeder has been calling him something? I'd tack on whatever you choose to that name  for a few days and then drop his current name (which is probably what the breeder intends to do). But really -- learning a new name isn't a big deal at all.

Letting him get used to your scent(s) is a good thing.