Menu

Why can't homeschoolers turn in their homework on time?

This bothers me to death. It has been an issue for EVERY homeschoolers' group I have ever taught, though some groups are better than others. Over the years I have taught Bible, 4-H and a similar club, Shakespeare, poetry, and other myriad classes.

I am teaching a class today that meets once a week. Each parent agreed with me in a meeting last summer that assignments have to be complete, and on time. They agreed to this again by phone at the start of the year. I have laid this expectation clearly in class to all the girls, and I have reminded of these expectations in emails. Our agreement was that my homework would average two hours a week, not to exceed 2 1/2, and they are to do the homework completely, and on time.

YET I have had continual problems with work not done or only partially done, and am beginning to question if the aggravation is worth it. Three girls last week did such a poor job on a ONE-PARAGRAPH rough draft that I asked them to redo, according to my specific directions written on their papers, and email me. Once I approved their revised rough draft, they were to complete the final ONE-PARAGRAPH assignment and bring it to class. It has been like pulling teeth all week, only to culminate in one parent informing me, chuckling, over the phone, that her daughter does not have it done.

I have taught this group of girls for five years. I know their abilities intimately. When they hit the middle years, the quality (and quantity!!!) of their work plummeted. I am absolutely sick about this--it's become high maintenance.

I think it's junior high angst and hormones, because I actually have a good relationship with the girls and their moms. They are smiling and responsive in class--they just don't do the work.

I happen to know this is an ongoing issue in a co-op we participate in as well. It really, REALLY bothers me that completion of work, and quality, is of such low priority.

I think most homeschoolers look at outside classes as socialization time.

So homework is not that important as it would be in school.

My dc have a hard time turning in their reports on time to me. I have to remind them every day to start on it and then really have to push them near the end.

I have told them from now on I it will be on their schedule and if they don't turn it in, in time. They have to pay the consequences.

I think most homeschoolers look at outside classes as socialization time.

So homework is not that important as it would be in school.

What a sad, sad waste of my (limited!) time and effort to actually TEACH their children. Honestly, if they want social time, why can't they just agree to meet at the park for free and spare the teacher the aggravation?!?!

You know what, Strider? People are very pragmatic creatures. They do what they REALLY need to do, when they need to do it. Passing or failing a co-op class has no real world consequences. Those that really want to learn for the sake of learning will turn in their assignments. Those that are taking your class for other reasons (socializing, SAYING their taking it, going through the motions to look like their accomplishing something) will, at some point in their lives, realize that they need to be able to write a logical paragraph, at which point they'll learn how to do it, or not.

You have a couple choices: let it go, or create negative consequences for their failure to turn in acceptable work. You mentioned how they've changed since reaching the middle school years. Your positive approval/attention isn't enough to motive them anymore.

People are very pragmatic creatures. They do what they REALLY need to do, when they need to do it.

I make sure that my boys have done the required homework and more for their community Chinese class. We have made the commitment to the class as a family (including missing other exciting opportunities that clash with class time) because we feel that the Mandarin that they already know is a gift that we should not allow to dissipate. It has value to us, and so we make sure that the value is maintained.

Laura

This has been a problem with almost every hs coop I've been in. I require my children to turn in their assignments in the acceptable time and format and have impressed on them that it is disrespectful to the teacher to not try their best. We even avoided the coop experience because of these problems. I think it is a losing battle because when the slackers are approached by the teachers they get defensive and use homeschooling as an excuse. They will say that one of the reasons they homeschool is to get away from the classroom 'restraint'. This IMO is a weak argument and no justification for encouraging disrespect and irresponsibility. Good luck with your class. Personally, this is why I gave up teaching in the coops.

Do you think maybe it's partly because they know you too well? They know you love them and they are relying on that. Are you going to cancel the class or kick them out if they don't do the work? They obviously don't expect that to happen. When you laid out the expectations to them, did you clarify what would happen if anyone didn't do the work?

You need to decide what is most important to you: maintaining the relationship as it stands now (and knowing you will be frustrated) or insisting that they work hard at the planned assignments and possibly having to remove some or all from the class. You really have to choose.

If teaching this class the way you originally intended is important to you, do that. If it takes kicking out anyone who is not prepared for class, do it. If it means you cancel the class until they decide to work, do it. Just because you love them and they love you doesn't mean you have to let them waste your time.

:grouphug: I hope you find a solution that works for all of you!

From the hs teachers at public school you're not alone in your dismay and frustration. I have heard many teachers lower their standards because of it. Sad for sure.

Now, as a co-op parent... here's something totally end of the other spectrum.

A couple years ago, my attitude towards homework was really not very healthy. I figured I was paying for it, it didn't count for credit and if we got to the work great. If not, sorry.

I know that sounds harsh but I'm being totally honest.

If I were you I would put the expectation out there and just roll with it. If it bugs you that badly, you're probably the only one who's stressing over it. Not to hurt your feelings, just saying you're the only one who can change you, or whatever that saying is.

I had a similar discussion with ds today. We are not in a co-op class but last year I gave homework almost daily. This year I got out of the habit and the few times I have done so he blew it off.

I allowed him to delay some work today with the understanding it had to be turned in and done. I told him I'm testing his discipline. We'll see what happens.

I've already decided that for next year I'm having him sign an accountability statement for each class. He works better off of a schedule and structure so I'm hoping that will help him.

I make sure that my boys have done the required homework and more for their community Chinese class. We have made the commitment to the class as a family (including missing other exciting opportunities that clash with class time) because we feel that the Mandarin that they already know is a gift that we should not allow to dissipate. It has value to us, and so we make sure that the value is maintained.

That's how we approach these things, too. My kids show up on time and prepared. And if I'm not willing to make that commitment, we don't sign up.

Of course, I must mention that my previously-homeschooled daughter complains all the time about how her roommate (who has been in school her whole life) can't seem to manage her time, get to class regularly or finish and turn in assignments promptly. So, the problem is not unique to homeschoolers.

It sure does seem like we have more than our share of those folks, though. And I'll tell you what, even as the parent of another child, it drives me nuts. It devalues that class for everyone AND gives all homeschoolers a bad reputation.

I'm truly sorry you're having this frustration. I think if it were me, I'd call a meeting of the parents (assuming you can get THEM to show up) and ask them what kind of class they really want for their kids. If all they want is social time with a bit of academics spread about, maybe that's what you'll have to give them. But I'd be very up front about explaining that not taking the class and its assignments seriously makes it impossible to run the kind of program you thought they wanted.

I taught homeschoolers in various settings for many years. Inevitably, the issues with homework were parent problems. I have come to the conclusion that homeschooling parents resent anyone telling them what to do; by this I mean that if we (teachers) tell their kids what to do, they they (parents) will have to enforce it and they don't want to. I can't tell you how many times I was told, "But I'm homeschooling so my children don't have to do x, y, or z." Sheesh. Don't sign up for an academic class then. It was a total waste of my time, and a major exercise in frustration. Bleh. My experiences left me with a grim view of homeschoolers, and that's really very sad. I know there are academically-oriented homeschoolers out there, but I realize now that they are very few and far between.

Ria

No idea.

If we take a class that involves homework, we take it seriously. It's never been up for discussion. You have homework? You do it and get it in on time. End of story.

A couple of years ago my kids were in a history class. Suddenly, they had an assignment to put together an oral report. Holy cow! We'd never done anything like that. Frankly, we'd never written a report, much less given one orally. I freaked out. I thought about calling the teacher, and begging for mercy. But I don't want to be one of those parents.

So we got to work. And in two weeks, by the time the assignment was due, I taught them what to do and how to do it. And they did it. It went very well.

And so it will go for every class. It's not that hard. Maybe it's in the way I was raised. I am embarrassed to not turn in an assignment, and a co-op class is still a class.

I teach at a co-op (our local school district one) and I have found exactly the same thing!! It drives me nuts and you better be sure that my kids have their homework for their classes done. :-)

I think there are several reasons and some have been mentioned.

1. There is a feeling by parents that it really isn't that important. It is an extra thing and so they don't have the investment to put much into it.

2. There are no consequences for not finishing it. I think this ultimately is a big one. They figure out pretty quickly that doing a bad job or no job has no ultimate consequences to them. I really want to teach my kids to do their best even if there is no grade.

3. The parents get busy and they are thinking about their own assignments and co-op comes quickly each week and they haven't remembered to put time into the assignments. They mean well, but have other things on their plates.

One thing I have done is to start issueing progress notes and even sometimes grades for kids so that the parents are aware of how much has NOT been done. It is so frustrating to have to wait for people who didn't do their work!! I started talking to parents and asking them why their kids isn't doing their work. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

No idea.

I am embarrassed to not turn in an assignment, and a co-op class is still a class.

I want my kids to be embarrassed if they don't turn something in!! And they are. There are a couple of kids that they feel really bad for because they always forget their work.