Menu

ACT College and Career Planning

Scarlett

Makes no sense to me.  My ds took it last year and it shows his Major (Engineering) to not be a good fit for him. They suggested FBI, travel agent and few other things he has no interest in at all.  Dss takes the ACT and it shows his interest/Major (Culinary Arts) to be a low fit for him....it suggests a good fit would be an engineer.  And he ha zero interest in that.

Anyone else have such an outcome?

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Yes they filled out an interest inventory.  And apparently their interests do not match their stated major.

Is the report more specific? "Interest" is vague and insufficient. My college students who start as engineering majors all have an "interest" in engineering (obviously; otherwise they would not sign up); however, over the first year a certain portion of them find out that they are lacking either the aptitude or the way of thinking. 

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

Is the report more specific? "Interest" is vague and insufficient. My college students who start as engineering majors all have an "interest" in engineering (obviously; otherwise they would not sign up); however, over the first year a certain portion of them find out that they are lacking either the aptitude or the way of thinking. 

It asked questions about their interests and compares it to their stated major 

I just had dd#1 do it to see what sorts of questions it asks. There are three different areas: Values (what type of work do you want - at a desk, outside, with people, earn $$, work around machinery, etc.), abilities (asks you to rate yourself compared to others in areas like communication, art/design, organization, etc.), and interests (working with plants, helping with a political campaign, ordering people around, working with numbers/budgets, doing research, watching for forest fires, rescuing people, etc.).

Her results were all over the place - and none of the career search items matched in more than one of the three inventories. Values said medical/social science areas. Interest said air traffic controller, medical, or financial stuff. Abilities was all STEM-ish (engineer, statistician). Since she isn't sure what she wants to do, it kinda makes sense.

9 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I just had dd#1 do it to see what sorts of questions it asks. There are three different areas: Values (what type of work do you want - at a desk, outside, with people, earn $$, work around machinery, etc.), abilities (asks you to rate yourself compared to others in areas like communication, art/design, organization, etc.), and interests (working with plants, helping with a political campaign, ordering people around, working with numbers/budgets, doing research, watching for forest fires, rescuing people, etc.).

Her results were all over the place - and none of the career search items matched in more than one of the three inventories. Values said medical/social science areas. Interest said air traffic controller, medical, or financial stuff. Abilities was all STEM-ish (engineer, statistician). Since she isn't sure what she wants to do, it kinda makes sense.

So it is kind of a meaningless exercise.  

Dss's science score was 24 which doesn't surprise me.  He has always liked science....and I guess there are parts of culinary arts that are science like.....I told him to not lock himself into culinary because there are lots of things to do in the science world...a lot of lab work would be interesting for him without being in nursing which doesn't interest him.....but anyway he still says culinary is what he wants.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 3:49 PM, Scarlett said:

Makes no sense to me.  My ds took it last year and it shows his Major (Engineering) to not be a good fit for him. They suggested FBI, travel agent and few other things he has no interest in at all.  Dss takes the ACT and it shows his interest/Major (Culinary Arts) to be a low fit for him....it suggests a good fit would be an engineer.  And he ha zero interest in that.

Anyone else have such an outcome?

Travel agent, lol.  Do they even exist anymore?  I wouldn't put much stock in these job matching tests.  It has about as much value as a "Which Game of Thrones Character Are You?" questionnaire on FB.  I hope you didn't pay money for this?  

• Like 1

FBI isn't really a job.  It's an agency, presumably filled with people acting as agents, cyber security experts, administrative assistants, bureaucrats, politicians, valet parking guys, cafeteria guys, undercover operatives, I don't know what all.  

6 hours ago, daijobu said:

FBI isn't really a job.  It's an agency, presumably filled with people acting as agents, cyber security experts, administrative assistants, bureaucrats, politicians, valet parking guys, cafeteria guys, undercover operatives, I don't know what all.  

I wasn't looking at it when I posted.....I think it said FBI agent.  But I agree it doesn't mean much. 

Amd no we didn't pay extra for that.  Just part of ACT. 

• Like 1

Scarlett the son of one of my cousins became an Attorney. He worked as an Attorney for about 2 years. He hated working as an Attorney.   Then, he became an FBI Agent. That's his "calling".     Regarding Culinary. The school DD attended for 3 school years (k4, K5 and First grade) I remember there was a graduating Senior who was going to attend a Culinary school. Possibly his family owned a restaurant. Possibly he really enjoyed cooking. I think if someone can work at something they enjoy, it makes life much easier.

DD will take the ACT in 3 weeks.  Looking at their web site and that of CollegeBoard (SAT exam) there seems to be so much more information available on the CollegeBoard web site.  After DD takes the ACT, I will be curious for her comments about the differences in the exams and the preparation for the exams.

On 5/17/2018 at 11:25 AM, Lanny said:

Scarlett the son of one of my cousins became an Attorney. He worked as an Attorney for about 2 years. He hated working as an Attorney.   Then, he became an FBI Agent. That's his "calling".     Regarding Culinary. The school DD attended for 3 school years (k4, K5 and First grade) I remember there was a graduating Senior who was going to attend a Culinary school. Possibly his family owned a restaurant. Possibly he really enjoyed cooking. I think if someone can work at something they enjoy, it makes life much easier.

DD will take the ACT in 3 weeks.  Looking at their web site and that of CollegeBoard (SAT exam) there seems to be so much more information available on the CollegeBoard web site.  After DD takes the ACT, I will be curious for her comments about the differences in the exams and the preparation for the exams.

I think dss will like culinary.  I have known him since he was 9 and that is all he has ever been interested in.  I talked to him realistically about how the pay is not always great, but you certainly CAN work your way up and make a living.....and also I discussed the traditional hours of working in food service....you are often working while everyone else is playing....BUT again you can find a path that gives you better hours if that is important to you.  So he has thought about it all.....he still wants it.  And he loves his VoTech program.....

• Like 2

My son just took the ACT and his career planning was spot on with what he wants to do. Engineering. Possibly medical related. 

Back in the day, my DH’s said he should be a trash collector. He has been a successful engineer for almost 35 years now, so thankful he didn’t follow his ACT advice. 

I took a non-traditional route to college and did not take ACT or SAT or do any career planning. My advice many years later: If you aren’t willing or able to move, be sure to pick something you can get a job in where you live. I went to college as a married adult, my husband  well established in his career locally and not willing/able to move. That really limited my job search. Second piece of advice: If you hate being inside or sitting much, do not go into a field that requires you to conform to the office/cubicle life. 

I am 50 and just now starting to explore career options that really call to me. Writing. Gardening. And possibly pastry chef. I have decided I would rather have multiple part job gigs than one full time career that I hate. It has taken me most of my adult life to realize it is okay to not conform to the traditional job market. 

• Like 2