Menu

Small gift for ds to give his "mentor"

Farrar

I'm the worst at small gifts. Ds did a sort of internship for a local business owner. I don't know him that well, but he really did us a favor and has been a great mentor for ds for his project. I required the kids to do a short "internship" where they observed and hopefully got to help at a job they found interesting. Ds wanted to see how small businesses work and this is a homeschool father who owns several small businesses in our neighborhood. Anyway, ds spent one morning a week there for a month. What small gift should he bring to say thank you? Usually I'd do something like a Starbucks card, but he owns a cafe! So that's out.

• Like 1

Is there anything he could use at one of his small businesses? Like a small potted plant he could put by the cash register in the cafe or something?

I tend to think of small business owners as out-of-the-box thinkers & risk takers. How about the biography of Elon Musk or something similar?

ETA: Gearward has cool/neat items. I don't know how much you want to spend. But the duct tape keychains are really cool. (I got some that I gave as Christmas gifts.)

• Like 1

I would honestly just help him write a really personal thank-you card. A gift isn't necessary for a business mentor, and in some industries would actively be frowned upon. DH's company bans accepting anything with a value greater than $3. I realize that's not typical for restaurants, but "I owe you a gift, rather than appreciation" doesn't seem genuine or appropriate to me. It might be different if they had spoken about something personal (a writer, a speaker, a book, etc) that the mentor might like with a value of less than $10.