Menu

Thrift books customer service?

So I put in a big order with them for our novels for next year. Everything was delivered today. They split it up into several smaller orders and one bigger order (different sellers I guess.) The smaller orders were right, but my biggest order that was supposed to be 8 different books totaling about $40 came with one random picture book I didn’t order. Nothing else. Emailed them, so we’ll see when someone gets back to me. Has anyone had experience with something like this happening? Not super impressed so far, and not sure I’ll order from them again. The books that did come that were supposed to be “very good” were more like the “good” books from abebooks, the “good” books more like “acceptable” etc...

• Like 1

I once had an issue with a product that I bought from them, but they resolved it fairly and in a timely manner.   I will still buy from them, and I prefer them over Better World Books.  I know that they both have a lot of ex-library books so I lower my expectations on their condition grading accordingly.  If I'm looking for something in Pristine used condition - they aren't necessarily my first choice. 

• Like 1

I have placed several orders with them. And yes they generally come in several shipments from their different locations. I have had wrong book delivered twice.  One was cleared up fairly quickly, they sent me the right book.  the other time they sent me the SAME wrong book again! And when they had to send it the third time they no longer had it. Which was pretty annoying, They refunded my money with an apology. I had to wait till it showed up in inventory at better world books to order again. Thrifttbooks was not quite as quick to respond as I would have liked, but I don’t feel like they are going to stiff me. 

I don’t really expect much in quality so I don’t pay much attention I guess. But tagging the title seems like there should  be less room for error, but they do struggle with that part. I guess I’m willing to deal with some hassle when their books are so cheap. 

• Like 1

Over the years, we have ordered a bunch of Textbooks for DD and a few Non-fiction books for me, from ThriftBooks.  Very happy with the condition the books were in. However, I noticed, last year, problems, when ordering via a Marketplace, such as Amazon or eBay.  Several times they canceled the orders. So, their Inventory was not updated in "Real-Time" between their various stores (I believe they have approximately 6 warehouses, operating under different names, around the USA) and their headquarters and the umpteen MarketPlaces.  So, now, I won't order from them on a Marketplace. As I write this, DD is probably using 2 or 3 textbooks that we ordered from ThriftBooks. Last night, I found a book she will need in the future, and the best price is on ThriftBooks.com (in "Good" condition) and I can probably get a 15% discount code on RetailMeNot.com 

I hope their Customer Service will fix your problem ASAP.   The only thing I will not do in the future is order from them via a MarketPlace like Amazon or eBay. I will place my orders with them, and with BetterWorldBooks, directly on their web sites.

• Like 1

Update: received a response from customer service today (so I’d say that’s definitely prompt) and they are sending out replacements. The bad news is that three of the books from my original order are now unavailable, so that’s a bummer. They did say they’d refund the difference though. 

• Like 2

OP I'm glad they will replace one book and refund the ones that are no longer available. It is very common for them to only have one copy of a particular textbook my DD needs, or, they have several in "Acceptable" condition and only one in "Good" condition and I'm only interested in the one in "Good" condition.

One of the orders I had canceled, was from a bookstore in a small city east of Dallas. I think it was on Barnes & Noble and I set up an account with them, so I could buy the Astronomy book from that Seller in Texas.  IT was approximately $8 USD + shipping.  Well, surprise, they cancelled my order because it was no longer available.

Then, on eBay, I bought a copy from GlenTheBookseller in Illinois. A very large Seller.  About $27 as I recall. When the box with that textbook and others arrived, I was disappointed, because it had Rental Book stickers on it from a CC in Iowa.  However, DD is extremely happy with the book. She said with the exception of one or 2 pages, it is in perfect condition.

I also remember a textbook I bought for her on Amazon from a Seller in KY was canceled.

That's why I have begun ordering directly on the Thrift Books web site and the Better World Books web site, which also saves $ on most books.

I hope you find the other books at good prices and in good condition!

• 5 years later...