Menu

clothes shopping help

regentrude

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

Yes, the bolded is my experience. If a $10 shirt last me ten years, why would I spend $50? So the shirt can last me fifty years?

I cannot imagine spending $1000 on clothing, and I don't know anybody who does.

I've had Walmart shirts last me so long they went way out of style and I didn't want them anymore.  LOL 

At that age I had good luck finding $5-10 shirts for work at Burlington Coat Factory and TJ Maxx.  You should also check to see if there's a Dillards Clearance Center anywhere near you.  They're similar to Nordstrom Rack, but tend to be in smaller cities IME.

Yes, I'd vote for Target. They have plenty of tops and cardigans that are good for work.

I have very long legs and a short torso and have only found one brand/style of dress pants that work, so I have three pairs: khaki, charcoal, and black. Give me a nice top, and I'm set.

I'm jealous of those of you who find things to buy at Target. Neither Dd nor I can ever find things there. It's all geared for teens (read 'skimpy') or pregnant women. The few things that aren't geared for those demographics are most certainly not "office friendly". Those items have lots of see-through lace or cut outs. I wonder if this varies by store/district? Even the t-shirt selection disappeared last year. It was the first year in many that Dd couldn't even find summer t-shirts there that didn't have strange graphics on them.

I think it varies by store, too. We have three in our area and they do seem to have slightly different inventories.

Lands End is also worth checking out. Good basic wardrobe staples that are decently priced especially if on sale and/or combined with coupons. I have a lot of their Supima tee shirts that are nice enough to wear under cardigans. Some of their blouses might do the trick as well. Once you find what you like, it’s easy to reorder in the future since they don’t seem to change the cuts/sizes too drastically of certain pieces.

UPDATE:

thanks especially to those who suggested specific  brands. This really helped me when I hit the local thrift stores over the past two weeks. The pickings are slim in this small rural town, because there are few jobs that require people to dress well, but I was able to find a few suitable pieces, and the prices were unbeatable - brand name tops for $3.50, some reduced to $1.75 because of sale. We had fun "shopping" together - me taking selfies in the fitting room, texting them to DD, and she saying "yeah" or "nay". First package is sent; it will help to get her started and not only saved her a ton of money, but also a lot of time which I have but she doesn't.

• Like 13

I have a much easier time shopping for office clothing in places like Target in the fall than I do this time of year.  At least in my area, the racks in the spring/summer are full of flimsy sundresses and tank tops.  In the fall, I can often find cardigan sets, a sweater and scarf, and other items that will work for business attire.  In the fall there seems to be much more of a tailored, classic selection that can still be worn for business attire in the spring and summer.  

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

UPDATE:

thanks especially to those who suggested specific  brands. This really helped me when I hit the local thrift stores over the past two weeks. The pickings are slim in this small rural town, because there are few jobs that require people to dress well, but I was able to find a few suitable pieces, and the prices were unbeatable - brand name tops for $3.50, some reduced to $1.75 because of sale. We had fun "shopping" together - me taking selfies in the fitting room, texting them to DD, and she saying "yeah" or "nay". First package is sent; it will help to get her started and not only saved her a ton of money, but also a lot of time which I have but she doesn't.

What a thoughtful thing to do for your dd. 

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

What a thoughtful thing to do for your dd. 

I like to help her out because she has literally no time - but I was also having a blast! I barely get to do recreational shopping; the nearest mall is 100 miles away, and I also don't need clothes since I have a closet full. Going thrift shopping was like a treasure hunt. And I had to spend barely any money .  Win win.

• Like 3