Menu

English/Grammar help- MCT?

anmom

I am embarrassed to say that after some testing recently DS (6th) and DD (6th) scored very poorly in grammar (punctuation, usage, etc). I cringe to type this-but testing showed on like a 2nd-3rd grade level and they are pretty bright kids and scored well above average in every other area! We have been using Rod and Staff which I had been ok with but after seeing the results they both said that they didnt feel like they were retaining or learning anything. Ugh... 

So, now I am ready to switch to something else and get this show on the road! I want them to be able to write and have good grammar! Ive read several reviews on here and have been looking at possibly MCT. However, the scheduling looks a little confusing and without being able to put my hands on it I am having a hard time figuring it out. Also, what level would you start on? The 1st level seems so basic and young for them but Im not sure! I also had someone recomend IEW Fix-it grammar but I have not seen it either. 

What would you do!?

I don't know many la out there, but first language lessons is very thorough. I would start at level 2 since that is for second graders. It has some review in the beginning, but you can pass that. FLL 3 goes straight into diagramming.

I think it depends on what your children like. My son loves mct, but it is somewhat abstract thinking so i hesitate to recommend it. Whereas, FFL is pretty sttaight forward. Lots of review.

On the other hand, if rod and staff has a similar approach to FFL, then mct may be a good fix.

There is something called analytical grammer jr. This has lots of diagramming as well.

I heard all good things about all the la mentioned in this thread, so it just depends on how your children learn.

While I love MCT grammar, it might not help your kids with punctuation and usage. It teaches parts of speech, phrases, and clauses. While it touches on things like subject-verb agreement, it does not have enough practice for kids who don’t pick these things up naturally.

I can’t see ages of your kids but if they are 6th grade and younger I’d start with Town level.  There is no scheduling- it is “do the next thing” while you go through the grammar instruction, with hardly any output from the kids.  Then a daily sentence to evaluate for up to 100 days.  This is a “front loaded” curriculum.  Lots of instruction up from and practice applying it through the rest of the year. I would just schedule a period of time each day to read it together.  And once you’re done reading and discussing the whole book assign a daily sentence to analyze.

I would start with Town level.

However, the types of issues you are talking about are not a big focus in MCT. I do love the program, and use it happily. But for those types of issues, I supplement briefly with Editor in Chief from Critical Thinking Company. It’s workbook-style, to the point and efficient.

Not MCT but Editor in Chief is so fantastic. It is much more active in applying grammar rules. I just find for some kids it really helps to cement the grammar that has been previously learned but not sticking. My older son really benefited from it. 

We tried fix it first. He enjoyed it for awhile and then started hating it. We got about half way through the first book. Retention wasn’t very good. Perhaps if we had finished the book l could have given a glowing review but it didn’t work out for us. 

We went to MCT. Started with the first level. We are only a month in. We follow the schedule Satiri Smiles made http://satorismiles.com/2011/06/10/mct-island-schedule/ hopefully that gives some clarity on scheduling the later levels 

I would not use MCT by itself to remediate problems with mechanics and usage.  In fact, the worst my kid ever scored on a standardized test in these areas was after two years with MCT!  We remediated with Hake Grammar.  MCT is great for giving a big picture understanding of grammar, and Hake is great for the details.  I was impressed with how well the combination worked.   I don't think that Hake would have helped as much as it did without my son's having MCT under his belt as well.

• Like 1

Agreeing that MCT is marvelous, but not for usage &c. 

Quick and dirty (or quick & easy, if you prefer): Growing With Grammar.  Practically boring.  But for us it sticks and it hits all these usage things and, I think, presents stuff in a way that translates nicely to testing situations.  Very easy to just add as worksheet "independent" work.  I do think some have found that it didn't get retention with their children, don't know what the critical variable is. 

If R&S suits your style, you could try Memoria Press' grammar + their extra practice workbooks (scroll down a bit -- it would be the "English Grammar Recitation" and then the Core Language Arts book to accompany; you might want to call them about placement).  It's meant to go along with their Latin, so the extra workbooks may be especially important if you aren't doing the Form Latin series; but it is straightforward and MP tends to prep students pretty well for testing.