Menu

Novare Chemistry for Accelerated Students

I'm set to sign DS up for this class at Wilson Hill. It will be his only outsourced class (I think).

However, I'm wondering how difficult it would be to do it on our own? By the time I purchase the book and supplies and sign up for the class, that's pretty expensive. Has anyone used this text without a class? Is the class really worth it? DS is currently in ASPC and is doing well and has learned so much. I can't seem to find another school that offers the same class.

• Like 1

Since no one has answered on teaching it I will first ask if you are teaching ASPC on your own. I do have experience teaching that one but not the chemistry so I could tell you about my experience with the series if not the specific subject.

My son took Chemistry from Potter's School. I think it is cheaper but would need to double check. It was labeled Honors or Pre AP Chemistry with Lelah Selby and it used the Novare text. I just realized myself how expensive Wilson Hill is.

I cannot tell you about teaching Chemistry but the series starting with ASPC. I love the courses but they aren't made for homeschooling. They assume a teacher. Essay questions don't have answer keys. It was a terrific course but it did take a lot of work which is why I outsourced the next year. We built our own photogate with a kit and arduino for one experiment and another experiment asked for the class to push a truck and measure distance. I can't remember how they measured force(probably because we skipped that one) but it required people in multiple positions. In other words, labs are meant to be done in a classroom and equipment may be difficult. Of course, we just adjusted but again designing your own lab is more work.

So at least with this particular curriculum, teaching at home takes a bit of time and knowledge. If you skip labs this is less so. I'm not sure how many of those problems will occur in Chemistry.

Potter's School is a bit cheaper than Wilson and uses the same book but they don't have the Physics 2.

• Like 1

Memoria Press offers the Novare standard track classes, but if there were demand they would offer the accelerated track as well. I was planning to use WHA for science, but I can’t get past that fee - makes it $970 for one class. MP science costs $600.

I know! It's too bad because we loved ASPC. I'm going to check out the Potter's School. I didn't know they offered it.

I cannot tell you about teaching Chemistry but the series starting with ASPC. I love the courses but they aren't made for homeschooling. They assume a teacher. Essay questions don't have answer keys. It was a terrific course but it did take a lot of work which is why I outsourced the next year. We built our own photogate with a kit and arduino for one experiment and another experiment asked for the class to push a truck and measure distance. I can't remember how they measured force(probably because we skipped that one) but it required people in multiple positions. In other words, labs are meant to be done in a classroom and equipment may be difficult. Of course, we just adjusted but again designing your own lab is more work.

So at least with this particular curriculum, teaching at home takes a bit of time and knowledge. If you skip labs this is less so. I'm not sure how many of those problems will occur in Chemistry.

Potter's School is a bit cheaper than Wilson and uses the same book but they don't have the Physics 2.

Thanks! Going to check that out. :)

I used the Novare Chemistry for Accelerated Students last year with my son. I think it is an excellent text, but yes it was absolutely a lot of work for ME!

Would you mind giving some examples how it was a lot of work for you? I am considering Novare texts for Physics (trig-based) and Chemistry.

Thanks so much!

I am considering Novare texts for Physics (trig-based) and Chemistry.

Thanks so much!

What is that text equivalent of? I tend to hear either Algebra or calculus based physics, not trig based. Granted I am totally ignorant of physics, but I have been eyeing that text for a while and can’t fogire out where it fits.

What is that text equivalent of? I tend to hear either Algebra or calculus based physics, not trig based. Granted I am totally ignorant of physics, but I have been eyeing that text for a while and can’t fogire out where it fits.

I haven't seen the book aside from the preview available on the Novare website. I am going to guess that it is perhaps something in line with the Giancoli text,  although I am not 100% certain because I haven't seen inside that one either. Our pinned physics thread (thank you, MarkT!!!) says that it requires some basic trig.

I am interested in a text that goes beyond algebra but does not require calculus just yet. For example, you could do an inclined plane problem, i.e. a rectangular block sliding or being pulled down hill. With algebra you can draw a diagram showing all the forces (gravity, normal force, friction, etc.) with their direction, but you cannot do numeric calculations without at least some understanding of sines, cosines, and so on. This does not require integrals (calculus), and I want do more physics with my STEM-inclined kids. The rough plan is 3 passes - Algebra-based in 7th, Trig-based in 9th, and Calc-based in 12th. My interest in the Novare text is based on the "trig" keyword but mainly because it comes with the CD of scheduled assignments, quizzes, and review handouts. I can do these things on my own, but I would honestly rather pay someone because my time is short.

• Like 1

With reference to Mark T's comment that it is always nice to have someone else be the teacher - even though it was a lot of work I still enjoyed teaching the chemistry class to my son. While I would not want too many teacher-intensive courses at one time, it was overall a positive experience for both of us. But I only have one student in my homeschool and I realize that it is different with more kids at home.

Dicentra, we did the chapters in order.

The text was challenging for my student so we often did out-loud, buddy-reading of the text. You might have a stronger student who doesn't need that!

The answer key only gives answers to the quantitative questions - that is one reason I thought it was a lot of work for me. I had to think hard sometimes :) Chemistry was a long time ago for me. You might have an easier time!

We did some of the labs that go with the program, but some of my labs came from elsewhere. It would be amazingly expensive to do the Novare labs if you started with no equipment at all. I had a lot of stuff already and I did not mind spending a chunk of money. But it is pretty easy to find other sources for labs if someone likes the text.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 3

For folks who have used the Novare Chemistry for Accelerated Students text (or have had their students take an online course using that text), do the students work through the text chapters in order?

The teacher did a few weeks of intro with Appendix A of the book and some outside reading. Following that, she's been going through the chapters in order.

• Like 1

I just pulled the trigger and bought the physics set last night for DD. We will see how it goes next year. If I really don't like the books I can always return them, even though there is a 15% restocking fee.

Would you mind giving some examples how it was a lot of work for you? I am considering Novare texts for Physics (trig-based) and Chemistry.

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

The teacher did a few weeks of intro with Appendix A of the book and some outside reading. Following that, she's been going through the chapters in order.

Not sure if my son took the same class (My son took Potter's School Honors or Pre-AP Chem) but he did the same sequence. Some review of math in appendex, checklists of class expectations, plagerism etc. Then followed the book chapter by chapter.

• Like 1

Dicentra, we did the chapters in order.

Not sure if my son took the same class (My son took Potter's School Honors or Pre-AP Chem) but he did the same sequence. Some review of math in appendex, checklists of class expectations, plagerism etc. Then followed the book chapter by chapter.

Thanks, folks!

• Like 1