Menu

Redwoods in Humboldt or Big Basin Park?

Familia

Settled for sending the men to CA this summer.  They will do a lot around SF since there is plenty of history, natural beauty, and the Computer History Museum. 

I cannot determine from internet surfing if the redwoods in Big Basin Redwoods Park would satisfy, or if they need to head north to Humboldt for a few days.  Can someone advise?  Recommendations on accommodations, if going north is essential, is also appreciated.

Thanks all!

Big Basin is absolutely wonderful. It can be quite busy in the summer, if they are planning to camp, you might want to check if there are still campsites available. Big Basin is about a 12 mile hike to the ocean, so that makes a fun day.

Humboldt Redwoods is also lovely. It will be cooler there and not as busy. But as far as the trees themselves go, I don’t think there’s much of a difference.

• Like 1

Big Basin is nice but I LOVE the redwood forests just south of Eureka.  Well worth the drive.  There are entire old growth coastal redwood forests there, very dramatic huge trees, with ferns everywhere between them.  Absolutely the best redwoods in NorCal.

I wonder whether Luna is still there?  

If you don't want to go that far, Muir Woods (just north of the Golden Gate Bridge) is very nice, too.  You have to make an entry reservation online for that one though.

In addition to the Computer History Museum, I recommend the Tech Museum in downtown San Jose.  Also, if you are interested in history, the Peralta Adobe is nice to see, and is nearby right there in town.

• Like 2

Muir Woods, as mentioned, is much closer. Armstrong Woods in Guerneville is lovely as well, and they would save hours of driving (as opposed to going to Big Basin or way up north).

If they like the outdoors, Pt Reyes is spectacular.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 3

I vote for Big Basin. There are some huge, amazing trees there, and some of the most beautiful stretch of coastline is just down the hill. Negatives are that it might be hotter and more crowded.

Or park at Bootjack and hike down to Muir Woods. That’s what the locals do.https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/muir-woods-via-the-bootjack-trail

One thing to watch out for is that from time to time the roads to Big Basin get closed and there's no way to reach it. I can't remember if it was last summer that happened but it was fairly recently.

On phone, so hope these quotes appear properly.

But, let me say that these tips are great!

And, Carol in Cal. thanks for the other museum- I'll send them there, too.

Mathnerd: they're definitely going to Carmel!

I think I'm liking planning trips (even other people's) even more than actually traveling!😊

Edited by secretgarden
  • Like 1